The Expanse

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
I miss me some Miller. That scene with him and Julie was so great.

Holden was the weak link in the book, both he and Naomi are the weak links in the show. They really fucked up with her casting. I hate that they are shitting up such an amazing show.

Bobby is still in WTF is happening mode, but she could be pretty amazing. Alex and Amos are awesome. Avasarela is spot the fuck on casting. Scientist dad guy went from zero to hero. All the Venus stuff... so good.

One of the great things about this show is that they do not let up. Was the end supposed to be a cliffhanger? I don't know because it has been what now? WTF? React! Shit! Oh fuck! Shit again! Wow! Time to breathe, no fuck you again curve ball!

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Was the end supposed to be a cliffhanger?
There was an interview in which they said the very end of each season is supposed to be a WTF game-changing moment. So, an active massive protomolecule blob swallowing a guy whole in S1, the Abroghast being dismantled "cleanly" in Venus in S2.
I just hope stuff goes a bit faster and we don't get the Ring-crossing sequence as the WTF moment of S3's end instead of mid-S3...

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Book Holden was pretty much lawful stupid. He's like derp-de-derp SPAAAACE PAAALADIN. I will follow my narrow code of personal ethics and impose them on not one, not two, but THREE whole societies! And my way is, demonstrably, not really any better! It's just mine! SPAAAAACE PAAALADIN!!!

Amos is a fucking Space MARINE. Fuck yeah, Amos.

Holden was ok in the books though. He might have been stupid, but you get an internal monologue explaining his stupidity. And it is well intentioned. Just.. you know. He's first mate on a space garbage ship.

There might be some really really meta abstract commentary in that about imperalisism, rigidity, and the ultimate endproduct of homogeneous expansion. I tend to think there is, but it's never even alluded to. It's like an assumption of the author. All of the pieces are there at whichever scale you care to examine, but it's never observed. Directly or indirectly. It's just kinda there. It's not a place he was going. It's a place he started.

Which is nice in a way and refreshing. Not a lot of sci-fi authors start with that assumption. Not really. A lot of sci-fi distopia's that I've read skim the surface of that. These guys went balls deep on it. It's why the world feels so real in the first few books.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Cybsled

Well given how the books go

Mid season 3 will be the "we need to talk" wrap up to Caliban's war. Finale to S3 will probably be Holden getting inside the orb and learning of what the orb can do to solar systems. Cliff hanger is the realization that everyone will die if they don't solve it

• 2Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I love sci fi, and near future colonization of the solar system sci fi is especially high on the list. e.g. I've already reread Seveneves three times despite several mediocre aspects to that book.

This thread makes Expanse sound awesome. Every time I try to watch it I fall asleep. Its like the thread is about a different show than the one I'm watching. Maybe its just a slow build.

Can anyone recommend a good starting point to get hooked? I dont mind missing some background, and I've tried watching the first few episodes several times unsuccessfully. Wheres a good place to jump in?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
It's a slow build. The first episode got me interested enough to read the books. After I finished the books I went back and watched the show.

You probably kinda have to be in the mood. But when you do get in the mood, don't forget about The Expanse.

God damn book Miller is even better. But show Amos I think is better. Amos doesn't get a whole lot of direct attention in the books. He's above a prop, but he's for sure in that "best supporting character" role.

And book two book miller is EVEN BETTER. LOL.

That might be why I resented Holden in the books. I wanted more Miller.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
I love sci fi, and near future colonization of the solar system sci fi is especially high on the list. e.g. I've already reread Seveneves three times despite several mediocre aspects to that book.

This thread makes Expanse sound awesome. Every time I try to watch it I fall asleep. Its like the thread is about a different show than the one I'm watching. Maybe its just a slow build.

Can anyone recommend a good starting point to get hooked? I dont mind missing some background, and I've tried watching the first few episodes several times unsuccessfully. Wheres a good place to jump in?

i guess you could just start with season 2, you are gonna be a bit lost but it paces itself extremely fast.

season 1 is the mystery, the setup, and every episode introduces new players and new questions.
season 2 is character driven - characters now take control, they try to solve mysteries, they take action. Its no longer expanding the universe, but drilling down and action occurs.
season 3 (next year) is going to be a mix of season 1 & 2, mysteries will once again start popping up but also lots of action

If you do start with season 2, once you get into it I'd really jump back and just watch season 1 in one binge watch, episode 5 especially will be a lot more poignant and meaningful if you have entirely watched season 1 and not just the "previously on the expanse" 30 second bits.

• 1Like

Vycron

Derives Perverse Pleasure
<Gold Donor>

I was kinda the same way. On paper, this show looked right up my alley. It took me a few tries to get through the first couple of episodes. With the benefit of hindsight, there is a ton of table-setting going on in those early episodes but that didn't make for the most exciting watch. If you aren't feeling it after episode 4 then it probably isn't your cup of tea.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>

Jesus H Christ, it's not like we're 7 seasons in or something. Just sit down and watch it.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I'm only half way through season 2, but I just realized I haven't seen any of the giant-sized belters since that first one suicided coming out of Earth's atmosphere way back at the beginning of season one. Did they just decide it would cost the SFX budget too much to keep going with those?

• 1Like

Goatface

there were a couple more tall belters in season 1.

there is a scene with miller early on where he talks about belters taking meds and stuff
to prevent the extreme belter features.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I suspect its a combination of not wanting to use GFX on that plus a general lack of lanky actors. There aren't many roles for someone who has a 'belter' physique.

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
My impression from the books is that Belters were on average taller and thinner (with larger heads) than earthers, but not weird giant people. I think that Belter in the premier was kind of an exaggeration

• 1Like

Goatface

my understanding was around 6'5" was avg for belters. Miller was, and Naomi was slightly shorter.
Avasarala is listed at 5'5" in real life, so i don't think the OPA guy was that much over 6'5"

anyway, found this from Ty Franck (1/2 of James S. A. Corey)
Casting Lessons, or Why Not All Belters Are Tall

i looked but can not find heights of any of the other belters, pretty sure Diogo was shorter than Miller, but don't think it gave any references.
Holden was a full head shorter than Miller, but weighed like 20 kg more than him.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
yeah the real reason is they had a real tough time finding people who looked the part, the podcasts mentioned how the casting agents would walk around Toronto (where the show is filmed) and ask random tall people if they wanna be on TV and it just got kinda creepy and they didn't find good actors. Just one of those things that has to sort of get lost when moving from book to TV, barring massive special effects that would probably mar the acting as well its just not a thing that can easily happen.

Belters should be tall and skinny (zero G workers) or short and compact (heavy gravity folks) but it just isn't gonna be realistic. I mean, the actress who played Drummer just NAILS that vibe of bad ass bitch and I doubt you'd get a WBNA star to emote the same.

I remember listening to one of those science podcasts and it said if you are over 7 feet tall and male in your 20s-40s there is like a 25% chance you actually are an NBA player, there are just so few super tall people in the world.

• 1Like