The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Been playing Ff1 at the shitters at work. The Android port is so fucking easy. That's all I got to add

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
This just seems like the difference between western and JRPGs, contrived nuisances. I knew about the infinite stamina thing, ie. stamina mini-game, but it's as bad as watching paint dry. I have to sit there and watch a green bar deplete instead of paying attention to the beautiful surroundings because...immersion? Stamina in Dark Souls makes 100% sense. Stamina in FF15 = dumb. There are AP unlocks to increase stamina but I'm not sure if there's an unlimited stamina ascension. Again, who cares, it's dumb.

This brings me to a new complaint: why do I have to hold directional and sprint? They got it right with chocobo, you can hold the sprint key and release directional and it will continue to run in the right direction. Why not have the same thing on foot?

Also: why did you take my car away in the middle of the game? Oh now I can walk back and forth to all those places I've already visited? Nice! I know it's only a chapter but it's really dumb.

Would be surprised at how many don't know about that or how to direct your allies to target a specific enemy, lock on and hold L1 without selecting a tech attack to set the red target lock.

Knew about the infinite stamina, no idea on the targeting. Thanks!

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Been playing Ff1 at the shitters at work. The Android port is so fucking easy. That's all I got to add

I picked up Final Fantasy Dimensions for Android recently. It's a new FF game but classic style... 2d sprites, similar job system to FFV, you gotta go around saving crystals, etc. Pretty good so far, recommended if you're looking for more FF shitter games.

colossalFISH

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm pretty abysmal at the combat in this game atm. Especially with packs of enemies. I can't target for shit as i'm trying to warp through enemies to get behind for a blindside. I'm like a retard running around chasing shadows.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I picked up Final Fantasy Dimensions for Android recently. It's a new FF game but classic style... 2d sprites, similar job system to FFV, you gotta go around saving crystals, etc. Pretty good so far, recommended if you're looking for more FF shitter games.
Nice I'll check it out. As long as it isn't one of those buy 2 win games.

I have FFT too but the ability to save anywhere and short battles makes FF1 a good shitting game. I did get to the first crystal place and by the time I hit the boss I was wiped out so I left and resupplied. Never played this on nes but I guess it was way harder.

Xalara

Golden Squire
I think FFXV is a great foundation for them to build future Final Fantasy games on. I've enjoyed it in spite of its flaws.

Insofar as the list of complaints go: I love that you can't see shit at night. It's like actual night time in real life. Too many games just put a blue tint over the world and call it good. Whereas in FFXV, when it's night it feels like night time.

• 1Smuggly

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
My favorite is how they keep mentioning how tragic it was that some random old guy you spoke to once was killed off screen. And that at least was better then the point where the story becomes one of those hidden note "games" that weirdos rave about on steam.

Ch13 - did they lift that environment from a PSP game? I haven't seen anything that shockingly lazy since the earliest days of 3D.

This should be a pretty good game once they get past the early access phase. Or if you just blow through the brief Final Fantasy bit in a day and then get back to monster hunts.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
That darkness bit is a love/hate relationship. Night hunts where your chocobo gets stuck on every god forsaken shrub and fence post that for whatever reason you can't jump over, is a real pos.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Roach was better.

... and the Witcher's horse is SUPPOSED to be retarded.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
It's a final fantasy game I don't expect a super masterful story or anything, but it just feels like chapter 1-8 was supposed to be like the first quarter. Chapter 9-13 is 3/4 of the story condensed down with random elements completely stripped out because they couldn't actually finish the game. I really liked chapter 14, but it really should have been like chapter 30.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Relevant responses from the 4chan AMA thread about what got changed and cut:

"As I said, the focus of most of the development time ended up being the Lucis area so the later parts of the game had a lot of cut content that wasn't ready. However, as far as I know, the fact that the empire is completely in chaos once you get to it never changed."
"Talking about the Leviathan level, I remember the level design being a bit different last year and it had to be sort of redesigned because it didn't run well and the engine was having problems."
"I'm probably wrong about this since I'm not that familiar to plot terms and stuff from the 13 universe but I think more than one crystal existed in the game and that each crystal had a family which acted as bodyguards. Noctis was part of the Lucis family and the heroine was part of the other family. And the game had a lot to do with death so Noctis was continously using the weapons of dead family members."
"When I was told that a certain level (snowy area with Shiva statue) was going to get deleted anyway after working on it for weeks nonstop and then having to work on a bootleg version for that level."
"The team had to keep a lot of things from the past projects because the former director shared details about them. I assume Ravus was one of those things that had to be kept because details about him were previously announced."
"However, I have to say that the story had to be partly rewritten last year (after the movie had entered full production) so that's why that character might have inconsistencies between the game and film."
"I heard that the team had to change and delete certain scenes about her [Luna] because they portrayed her in a way that would have been criticized nowadays. And like what happened with everything else, it seems like her role in the story wasn't able to get fixed before release."
"There were references to the heroine having been abused by other characters, some scenes would have featured Luna crying because of her health and there were also mentions of her goal in life being meeting the male protagonist's expectations/objectives, which the team considered that were going to be problematic since the game had been carrying a bad reputation because of the way they portrayed female characters. "
"The game centered about death, ghosts and hallucination/dreams. Noctis killed the female protagonist before the game started but he didn't remember. Ardyn was Noctis ancestor and he was responsible of the crystals disappearing over time (the only one left was Lucis crystal). Regis died in front of Noctis because his bodyguards betrayed him. The protagonists had to leave the capital because their nation lost the war."
"The game didn't focus on summons that much (they still existed) and instead there were actual gods which didn't appear physically. One of the gods was the main antagonist of the first FF game. Each nation was inspired by a different capital of the world. The empire was using ghosts as weapons. Ravus wanted to kill Noctis for having killed her sister. The game ended in another dimension which was supposed to be their version of the after-life"
"At the end of the game, you say? I think it was supposed to be left open for interpretation. If I recall correctly, they weren't suppose to have any death scene or anything so I assume they are alive."
"The end part of the game was supposed to be bigger. I know for a fact that dark world Lestallum was finished. Old Iris was also featured in some scenes. Cindy too (and I also recall them not wanting to change the Cindy design even though it was problematic because her older design implied character development)."
"There was supposed to be a small dungeon in Tenebrae which also got cut. If I recall correctly, the invasion didn't begin until the protagonists entered the city. "
"If you mean why is that chapter [13] inspired by survival horror elements, the team thought it was going to be a good change of pace that would build momentum. Seems like the level failed to deliver and annoyed players, which I understand. "
"The game has had barely 3 years of actual development time."
"I don't think any of my mates read the original script. If you mean the 2015 script for FF15, then yeah, most of us know what changed in the story and world design."
"That stuff was cut but they will have to rewrite and re voice those scenes since I assume they are not entirely compatible narrative wise with what the final game showed. "
"Well, the first stop after Altissia had an (smaller) open world area and you could drive the car alone.
There was a level leading up to when you encounter the Shiva statue.
The dark world section of the game featured more enviroments, you encountered each party member in different locations and you could explore part of Lestallum.
The final boss (which was another Ardyn form) got cut early this year.
The Tenebrae invasion happened after the protagonist entered the city and you got to explore a very small section of the city and Luna's chamber.
Scenes that featured Luna got cut because they were considered to be problematic.
Cor got written out of the last half of the story since it made no sense for him to show up (he was Noctis companion during the small open area after Altissia)."
"Like I said, Luna was featured in more scenes but they got cut. The original Leviathan fight combined interiors and exteriors and many enemies on screen, Luna also appeared.
Like I said earlier, the final form for Ardyn was cut early this year. I haven't heard anything from the strategy guide but it might not have updated information about the story."

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
for a game to be made that is truly of the scope that FF15 should have been -- would it take literal decades?

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Literally FUCK Pitioss Dungeon..... 3 sessions s far about an hour apiece and i think Im about 3/4s through. Past the 2d part,the spinning mechanical part, the land on the statues boob part, and the dark thin girder part......thank god i can pause and put my ps4 in rest mode to come back later. I just do not have the patience for this shit anymore. Doesnt help that noctis controls like shit in regards to platforming.

Dungeon is really well done, dont get me wrong, but the controls make it pretty brutal.

Hope to finish up tomorrow for the accessory ill never use and go back to the 60+ post-game dungeons. I wish they wouldve incorporated the sword warps, but the designer must've been on some shrooms for the layout. Masochistic as hell.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Even with a guide people tend to spend hours doing Pitioss, most without one tend to give in and look it up. Then that speed runner posted his 6 minute run with that straight to goddess statue skip and made us all feel like noobs.

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Even with a guide people tend to spend hours doing Pitioss, most without one tend to give in and look it up. Then that speed runner posted his 6 minute run with that straight to goddess statue skip and made us all feel like noobs.

I saw that this morning......unbelievable. id love to see just this dungeon in a GDQ setting. Im sure they'll find even more skips and a sub 5 minute run will happen. Meanwhile I think Im at the 4 hour mark. Had to look up what to do after the 2d section, honestly, just could NOT figure out how to progress on that spinning area.

Xalara

Golden Squire
OK I will correct myself now having gone to Altissa and pretty much finished the game: The story is a disjointed mess. The core seems good but a lot of it gets lost in the parts that were cut.

In the space of an hour you go from:
Things are mostly OK, to the nights are getting longer faster, to Shiva is dead somehow, to imperial attack on train, to the Empire is overrun oh god the world is ending, all finishing off with you entering the worst part of the game.

I stand by what I said earlier: The game is fun but flawed and will provide a great foundation for future Final Fantasy games. They just need to hire a better story writer, the core of it seems good but the execution and pacing are all wrong and it is painfully obvious that things were cut in the latter half as posted above.