The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

Xalara

Golden Squire
In 50 hours I've had one bug, which is that combat bug. It required me to run back and kill the buggers.

Insofar as the story is concerned, at least the story they were trying to tell this time around was solid unlike FFXIII. I think I linked it earlier but this summarizes the entire plot with the holes filled in: My Interpretation of the Final Fantasy XV Story (MASSIVE SPOILERS) : FFXV

Years ago, a war, marked by plague started at the hands of Ifrit, consumes the world of Solheim turning much of mankind into daemons.

To end the war, Ardyn Lucis Caelum, is chosen as a savior granting him the power to cleanse the sick and defend the world from Ifrit’s plague. With his new power, he absorbs myriad daemons, reducing the plague’s impact on mankind, sending Ifrit into hiding, ending the war and corrupting his soul.

Consumed by deamons, he is denied entry to the Astral Realm by the gods. Now immortal, he is unable to be drawn in by the crystal to power up the ring and eliminate the scourge for good. No longer suitable to defend the crystal and absorb it’s light, he is ridiculed by the people and deemed unworthy to ascend the Lucian throne.

Realizing their mistake in choosing Ardyn, the gods present Izunia Lucis Caelum (the first king of Lucis) with the crystal of light and the ring. Anointed as king by the gods, the Lucis Caelums defend the crystal until the day it chooses one of their own to receive the light of the crystal. At the same time, the Nox Flueret line is chosen as to serve as oracle. They will be tasked with suppressing the scourge until the "chosen" king arrives to bring the light of the crystal to Eos.

Izunia ascends the throne and casts Ardyn out while also writing him out of history. With time, people simply forget and move on.

Fast forward 2000 years to Regis’s time...

Chancellor Ardyn Izunia (now working alongside Ifrit) orchestrates a plan to weaken the power of the crystal and once again fill the world with the Scourge to destroy mankind. With the scourge once again taking over Eos, the crystal finally chooses a new king (5-year old Noctis) to rid the world of the scourge.

At the age of 8, Noctis suffers an attack that requires a long period of healing from the Oracle (likely Lunafreya’s mother...not Luna). I believe it’s at this time, that he first comes in contact with Lunafreya and the two become very close friends.

It’s also around this time that Niflheim attacks and annexes Tenebrea. The attack results in the death of Lunafreya’s mother. It is also the last time Lunafreya and Noctis are together before they are betrothed.

Fast forward to modern day...

At Ardyn Izunia’s recommendation and as part of the terms of the cease fire with Niflheim, Regis agrees to the betrothal of Lunafreya and Noctis. Knowing he is being played, Regis sends Noctis to Altissia mere days before the treaty is signed to wed Lunafreya.

During his trip, Noctis meets Ardyn who ultimately plays Noctis and his brothers for fools pushing them toward his ultimate endgame. He kills the Oracle, preventing anyone from slowing the Scourge, while also attempting to kill the remaining astrals (more for Ifrit than himself I think) that betrayed him before ultimately setting his sights on Noctis.

He makes certain that Noctis gets the ring, that Noctis finds his way to the crystal and that the crystal gives Noctis its full power.

Ardyn then waits patiently 10 years for the crystal to recharge the ring and for Noctis to come for him…to give him his 1-on-1 day of retribution with his brother's bloodline.

Ardyn falls to Noctis, who assumes the gravity of his position. He sits on the throne and calls on the Glaive to grant him their power and take his life. Once he’s dead, Noctis confronts Ardyn in the Astral Realm and uses the true power of the crystal imbued to the ring and purges Ardyn’s soul of the scourge.

With Ardyn (and Ifrit) destroyed, the crystal blesses the world with it’s light and cleanses the remaining scourge freeing the world of its curse.

Luna and Noctis are finally free of their individual burdens, marry and live happily ever after in their eternal slumber.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
At the final chapter now. I'm really glad that the narrative took the wheel at Chapter 9 because it had hardly felt like the game had cared at all about story up to that point. The story has come a lot further together now but a lot of "how/why did this happen" questions are being given generic answers, which means there could be a possibility of DLC that tells the main story through the perspective of other characters.

The boss of Chapter 13 was an absolute nightmare of attrition for me and everything in Chapter 14 is 1-shotting me, so I'm guessing I'm underleveled (my dudes are all 38-40).

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
At the final chapter now. I'm really glad that the narrative took the wheel at Chapter 9 because it had hardly felt like the game had cared at all about story up to that point. The story has come a lot further together now but a lot of "how/why did this happen" questions are being given generic answers, which means there could be a possibility of DLC that tells the main story through the perspective of other characters.

The boss of Chapter 13 was an absolute nightmare of attrition for me and everything in Chapter 14 is 1-shotting me, so I'm guessing I'm underleveled (my dudes are all 38-40).
I don't think you are really supposed to fight much of chapter 14 except the required fights. At least I didn't

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I skipped a lot of the trash battles - save the one you have to move through to get to the next scene to start off the finale.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Finally picked this up. Super fucking pumped to geek out Thursday Night-New Years Day

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Too many posts to read through.

Thinking of picking this up. Loved the SNES games. Loved 7. Actually loved 8. Never played 9. LOVED 10....Yes I am weird. Never played 11 and 12. Briefly played 13 and quit when an afro man with a chocobo in his heir showed up. 13 seemed way shit to me.

Dont really know much about this other than a 10000 foot view of the "story" which may be wrong. Seems like Prince on the road gaining power to retake his kingdom. something like that.

Based on this, do you think I would enjoy this game? how are some of you 100 plus hours in? is it story or just fun side games and grinding?

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Tried this, never really play FF before. Put down pretty quick, is there a point where the story kicks up ? Hours in etc ? perhaps I have to push through.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider

Thinking of picking this up. Loved the SNES games. Loved 7. Actually loved 8. Never played 9. LOVED 10....Yes I am weird. Never played 11 and 12. Briefly played 13 and quit when an afro man with a chocobo in his heir showed up. 13 seemed way shit to me.

Dont really know much about this other than a 10000 foot view of the "story" which may be wrong. Seems like Prince on the road gaining power to retake his kingdom. something like that.

Based on this, do you think I would enjoy this game? how are some of you 100 plus hours in? is it story or just fun side games and grinding?
I would say the average person will get about 25-30 hours. That's doing some of the hunts and side quests, optional dungeons and main story.

I am pretty much the same as you on which games I liked (except I pretty much hated 8) and I loved the game. The thing that I hated about it was how great it could have been if they had actually completed it as they envisioned.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
More like 12 with a non-limited magic Draw system from 8.

The story is the least likeable part of the game, but the world and the gameplay are very much worth playing. The story makes up 15-20 hours if you go straight through and ignore everything else. For the first half of the game you are in an open world continent with outposts that have sidequests, hunt targets, and extra/optional stuff available to you. Second half is the linear tunnel, most of which did not make it to release so it feels very disjointed. After you complete the game you can revisit the previous areas or start a New Game+.

Majority of the time past 50 hours is Magic material farming, AP farming, or Angelus farming (Level 99 robot that only shows up in the post game) for a 5% drop chance on the best accessory. There's 8 sealed dungeons for the post game, although 6/8 of them are copy paste caves with no originality. There's a secret 9th one that's zero enemies just a straight puzzle / platform dungeon and I would recommend doing that one the intended way first before you look up the super cheap speedrun skips.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I don't think you are really supposed to fight much of chapter 14 except the required fights. At least I didn't

Yeah I skipped a lot of the trash battles - save the one you have to move through to get to the next scene to start off the finale.

The one I'm talking about is a required fight.

Within seconds of engaging King Behemoth, Prompto gets himself killed. After that it's only a matter of time before Ignis goes down. I can kind of handle it with just Noct and Gladio but if he uses his AoE ice attack that can't be blocked it's pretty much a wipe. Reavus was similar for me. He would do around 3k damage with his attacks in his second phase and his straight line attack would do 9999. I just kept banging my head against him until I learned his attack patterns well enough to solo him with Noct. Still took me like 20 minutes though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

Nothing wrong with loving 10. Aside from the over the top acting its one of the best games in the series.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
To answer your question at the 100 hour mark (think mines around 95 with one trophy left), I would be willing to bet the majority of this is load screens. May be cause I abused warp to car / warp to rest points to turn in hunter quests but it can be a pretty significant part of the game depending on how far you are away.

I liked the overall story and look forward to seeing it flesh out a bit more, summons were a lot of fun to watch, and my only pet peeve ultimately was the fact at 99 with ultimate weapons I could not actually one shot most of the creatures I came across even below level 30-40. Half the fun of final fantasy is being OP as shit but never really felt that way here.

Malakriss

There's people with 300+ hours on their game file, but they left the game paused for long periods and don't reset during Angelus farming (which does cut down on a lot of recorded game time). Leveling is also not linear past 50 and has a reduced growth curve, which was likely put in because they cut so much later content the level requirements had to be scaled back.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Back at home from the Holidays, and should be getting into this pretty heavy today. Here goes nothing!

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I finished the game at 35 hours or so. Now I'm level 60 and I have the bonus doors + Randolph quests and a crapload of hunts left. I guess the idea in terms of reward/entertainment is to see how far I can get with Randolph > dungeons > hunts until I hit a wall and decide to expericast / warp strike cheese?

At the moment I'm set up to save scum the damn griffon feather. At least it's not a frog hunt.

Malakriss

SPOILERS Supercalifragilistic Drakengard Theosis - A tumblrfag is translating some of the Ultimania guide information

Evidently the part that people are in arms about is Tabata (the director) not even knowing some of the lore / backstory when asked about Ifrit.

F-ed up part about the ending:
The bodies that Ardyn displays aren't an illusion they are the actual preserved bodies used for amusement while waiting for Noctis

Last edited:

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Finished the game tonight. I accidentally cheesed the second-to-last boss by eating food that gave me a key immunity. Whoops. Really enjoyed the final chapter, though it's clear they didn't change enough of the story from Versus XIII.