Pineapple pineapples.

20170406_161935.jpg

20170406_161930.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
You get to grow tropical shit. That's so cool.

Hibiscus is about as tropical of a thing as I can grow. It's like, almost deciduous. It can handle colder darker rooms for a bit.

So is that a harvest ready plant? Can you eat it now or do you need to grow it more first?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You get to grow tropical shit. That's so cool.

Hibiscus is about as tropical of a thing as I can grow. It's like, almost deciduous. It can handle colder darker rooms for a bit.

So is that a harvest ready plant? Can you eat it now or do you need to grow it more first?

We planted those two last summer and the fruit won't be ready for another 6-8 months. We have 3 more that are in various stages and pre-fruit.

The fruit will most likely be about half the size of a store bought pineapple, but with about as much natural sugar, so super concentrated.

Real easy to grow as they get nutrients through the air. Never watered them since first planting, though I will do some now to juice up the fruit some.

• 2Like

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Front yard planter's box. These are lillies that should have huge dark purple flowers.

There are tall deciduous grass spikes around the base of the pole that should come back this year but so far nothing is showing.

There are purple and yellow osteospermum along the flat edges of the box. They died back in winter. But since osteospermum has about a million different cultivars, you never know if the one you have is annual or perennial. I'm still waiting to see if they come back but my gut tells me they are probably finished.

Please ignore the frankenlawn. That's what happens when you're a complete idiot and overseed a zoysia lawn with fescue seed. I did that last spring and am paying for it now. The lawn looks ridiculous. I'm going to overseed with zoysia seed in a few weeks and at least begin to fight back against my mistake. I suspect it'll take a few years to correct it.

View attachment 130011
Wait what is wrong with your lawn? Uniformity is cancer, use 4 or 5 different grass seeds and mix them. Just my opinion.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Really???
Maybe its just me but i cant stand it when i see a lawn where every blade of grass is uniform. Fuck that noise, might as well go out and buy some plastic astroturf. The beauty is in the imperfection.

• 1Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Really???

I would have to agree with Sentagur Sentagur on this one. The first house I lived in had an amazing yard, there were a few different kinds of grasses all with their own growth habits and textures. There was nothing better than waking up to walk outside barefoot and admiring the patches of wild chives, puffy grasses and crocuses, then I would usually pick the black raspberry bushes clean. In my opinion having land with variety determines whether you have a lawn or a yard.

• 1Like

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
I would have to agree with Sentagur Sentagur on this one. The first house I lived in had an amazing yard, there were a few different kinds of grasses all with their own growth habits and textures. There was nothing better than waking up to walk outside barefoot and admiring the patches of wild chives, puffy grasses and crocuses, then I would usually pick the black raspberry bushes clean. In my opinion having land with variety determines whether you have a lawn or a yard.
I grew up in a place where grass seeds were not a thing at all, grass was something that grew naturally, and couple of times a year we would cut it to make hay for my godfather who had some cows.
We never bothered about weeds and I spent hours watching when he brought his bees to pollinate the orchard and fly around the wild flowers that grew all over the place. I enjoyed the fact that there was almost always something to pick and eat in my backyard, from berries to fruits and vegetables.

That was a lifetime ago but some things stay with you and the things most americans call a lawn look sterile to me now.

• 1Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Hey AngryGerbil AngryGerbil how is that elephant ear bulb doing?

Also planted a single Elephant Ear tuber in a pot. It was the size of a softball. The entire internet cannot seem to agree on how to tell which side of the bulb is up and which it down. So I did the one thing they all agreed on, I planted it sideways. The bulb was so big I am hoping for some big leaves: (another google stock photo)

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
So far nothing. Same with the caladiums. I might have done it too early. Spring came too early this year.

I gave up on the elephant ear I had last spring. I gave it to my roommate who then placed it in the compost pile outside when the nights stayed above 50 degrees and the bulb sprouted! I wish I could find the picture.

according to the internet it may take 8 weeks for them to break the surface.

"Water the bulbs to keep the soil slightly damp. During the rainy season, water only during dry spells if the top 1 inch of the soil feels dry to the touch.

Water during the dry season whenever the soil feels dry to the touch."

How to Start Elephant Ear Plants From Bulbs

• 1Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Yeah I am not lost on it I don't think. I have kept it moist but not wet and we are approaching warm season so I am still hopeful.

Same basic thing with the caladiums too. They need that heat and are late-season plants, not early-season. I also hope they come up. I learn as I go!

• 1Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
The hostas are beginning to find their shape.

HZCruC3.jpg

This is the secondary bed of hostas. These are a mix of different species taken from my neighbor's (to the right) yard last autumn. This is their first spring in their new home.

NNixW5Y.jpg

The azalea is just about to bloom.

m6genpz.jpg

Strike that, it is in bloom.

vXJc2KF.jpg

Easter Lily, planted last autumn on the same day as those other hostas. Easter lily only blooms on Easter when forced to grow early in a greenhouse. In nature, Easter lily actually blooms in mid summer. This one is on pace to bloom in summer hopefully. It was only one bulb but it sent up three shoots so far. The other thing about Easter lily is that, after they are 'forced' to bloom early in a greenhouse, they are 'broken' and may not ever bloom again. The only chance you have of seeing them bloom again is to plant them outside in the proper place and baby them. I think I have done that successfully so we shall see if they produce flowers or not.

sdkAJZj.jpg

sdkAJZj.jpg

• 2Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
This forum is full of soulless plant haters. Some of you need to put a seed in a pot and make magic happen.

Hyacinth
Q6BYFCT.jpg

Hyacinth's
Ag6nCjh.jpg

Rainer Cherry
vlX3Crn.jpg

Double Daffodil
oAKY32b.jpg

Name Escapes Me
wm1CzxV.jpg

50 Pounds of Pre-Cherries
AwRPEID.jpg

Myrtle
ebvjb8P.jpg

Pollinated Peach Blossom, Future Delicious
A43D0Dl.jpg

Soft-Pink Mutant Tulip
pTn4bA0.jpg

In situ Mutant
qQHoVKM.jpg

More Cherry Tree
zy8Bpkg.jpg

My Day Labor
pbK101B.jpg

Q6BYFCT

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
They are I think a type of Grecian Windflower. Anemone Blanda. They have a purple hue'd neighbor (in the bottom left).

• 1Like