The hostas are coming along.

oS5oHNZ.jpg

tcc58zJ.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
This plant could grow past 6ft tall easily in the right conditions, I would deffinately look for a new set of stakes. The following is an excerpt from an online article about dahlias.

"Once your Dahlia attains sufficient height, secure it loosely to the stake.
I recommend using a length of an old nylon stocking because it will stretch as the plant grows, rather than cutting into the stem, as string will do.
Loop each tie into a figure 8, with the crossed portion between the stem and the stake
to keep stems from rubbing or being choked."

As for cutting the stems at the bottom that is up to you. Just keep in mind what shape you want this plant to grow. Keep trimming and you attain a compact bushy form. Another except from the same article.

"If your goal is to produce massive sized flowers, remove all of the side buds at the end of each branch throughout the growing season. If you want your Dahlia to provide a continuous, extended flower show, you will need to remove the spent buds promptly."

Here is the link to the page.
Dahlias, How to Grow and Care for Dahlia Plants - The Garden Helper - Garden Helper, Gardening Questions and Answers

Thanks for the advice. I bought some longer sturdier stakes and some padded velcro wrap to tie them with. Now they're ready to grow as big as they want.

These are the two lone dahlias with their new stakes and new professional tie wrap!

7QApeDG.jpg

This is the third dahlia with little viola-tricolor seedlings surrounding it. These should be showy low growing purple, yellow, and white flowers. I may have planted these too early. The seedlings came up in about a week but have not really grown at all since then. It's been about another 10-12 days and they don't appear to be growing at all. Just staying like that, with its seed-leaf showing and not growing any new growth. I bought another packet today in case I have to re-do the seeding later when it gets warmer.

hTnTqxI.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Oh and there is a bit of a science experiment going on with the two dahlias. Both of those pots are wrong according to the ideal. One is too small and the other too big. So I'm curious to see if and how this might affect things.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
This thread needs an explosion of participation. To this end, the First Annual Fires of Heaven PLANT contest. I cannot think of a sufficiently good Acronym for PLANT, I am outsourcing this task to anyone who thinks this is better than a stupid idea.

Here's them rules.

Get a container, of any type, some soil, and a seed(s).
Spend a minimum amount of 10 seconds per day with 100% of your attention for any detail you notice or do not notice as it were and stewarding your plant with at minimum the necessary water.
Post a photo update at some specified landmarks. Like Sprouting, first leaf, bud, and medical plantmergencies.

For best value, a little bit of work should be done to match pot/light/soil/seed conditions. But for ease of interest I would suggest people try and find something that is local to their environment and living condition that can handle it.

With just a few pieces of information I think the brain trust in this thread could help people get some successful combinations with very low effort on the PLANT hater's part, but for 10 seconds a day and a few photos later to document great failure or success. I am hoping that Gerbil and Bungle and any other plant lovers might chime in with their knowledge to get everyone some conditions for success.

I think the only necessary knowledge would be general geography, like West Kansas, or Coastal Georgia and then the direction/hours of direct sunlight the potential windows have.

No one should go through this life without growing one plant for no reason than because. I know this all sounds potentially stupid to a large subset of you, but if you've read this far really do consider participation. Only two things can happen, you'll verify the stupidity of plants, or grow a secret relationship with them.

Vote for best in show at the end of summer after all participating plants finish their necessary plantiness. Best plant fiction, written from the perspective of your plant in its native environment.

Thoughts/Ideas?

May this post produce an army of FOH PLANT babies. If not, its better than my worst post ever.

• 2Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Dandain Dandain

I appreciate your enthusiasm for this thread and trying to get more of the community involved! Personally I am not a very competitive person but I enjoy the idea of a contest where everyone is doing seedlings / or growing from cuttings, while tracking their progress and Plantmergencies.

For best value, a little bit of work should be done to match pot/light/soil/seed conditions. But for ease of interest I would suggest people try and find something that is local to their environment and living condition that can handle it.

With just a few pieces of information I think the brain trust in this thread could help people get some successful combinations with very low effort on the PLANT hater's part, but for 10 seconds a day and a few photos later to document great failure or success. I am hoping that Gerbil and Bungle and any other plant lovers might chime in with their knowledge to get everyone some conditions for success.

I think the only necessary knowledge would be general geography, like West Kansas, or Coastal Georgia and then the direction/hours of direct sunlight the potential windows have.

I am always more than willing to help anyone with plant questions for indoor and outdoor environments whether its choosing a species to care for or your plant is sick and needs help, its what I love to do.

I can also help people conduct online research if you don't have the time but need the help. If this gains momentum I can even put together individual plant profiles for anyone, given I know a few environmental factors, (grow zone, window placement and light levels ext...) their level of experience and what kind of plant they are looking for (unique foliage, winter bloomer, easy grower, minimal care, vines both trailing and climbing ext...)

For the general success of seedlings you will need to follow a few rules.

1. Be Patient!
  2. Be vigilant for powdery mildew and other molds and fungus.
Seedlings should be receiving adequate airflow and drainage. Germination mats can greatly aid your progress. Molds and fungal infestations thrive in damp, warm and partly shaded areas, unfortunately many seedlings also enjoy these conditions to germinate. If you encounter a problem increase airflow and consider increasing the time between waterings. Air flow will not only reduce the possibility of infestation but also encourages strong stems for your new plants.

3. When its time to transplant do not delay!

Delayed transplant can cause health problems with root systems, thus increasing the amount of natural shock your seedling will endure during transplantation.

Below I will post the the USDA zoning chart.

Screen-Shot-2016-07-28-at-7.44.42-PM.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Worst in show can be a forum title, but it requires evidence and effort.

Which plant thread lurkers will be the first to accept the challenge.

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Worst in show can be a forum title, but it requires evidence and effort.

Which plant thread lurkers will be the first to accept the challenge.

If anyone is considering planting any flowers this spring I would highly recommend planting Zinnias!

Zinnias have key attributes that make them an attractive prospect for your garden or outdoor planter(s).

• Being native to the South Western region of America and with some populations in the Southern American continent, they have adapted to the high temperatures and levels of sunlight that our summers bring.

• Zinnias are very prolific seed producers thus possibly eliminating the need to re purchase them next season, if they are cared for correctly of course. Seeds that are collected should be sealed in either an envelope or a plastic bag with no air and placed in a dry, dark, and cool environment.

• Zinnias make beautiful cut flowers. Generally I don't care for cut flowers, it seems to defeat the purpose of raising a plant only to kill one of the most rewarding parts of it, but Zinnias are an exception to my logic. The blooms last a while when stuck in a vase of water, furthermore cutting back some Zinnias (see picture of seed packets below) causes them to branch out and produce exponentially more flowers. Zinnia stalks are quite malleable and can be intertwined after being cut to make mini wreaths.

This bloom (from last summer) only represents a fraction of the various styles on the market. Incidentally I just bought these so I guess the timing could not have been better. The purple coating is a blend of perlite, lime and clay to improve oxygen availability in the soil.

California Giants brought Zinnias to popularity in the 1920s.

akJTyt6.jpg

If you want to browse through a large online seed catalogue Zinnia Seeds - 110 Top Zinnias - Annual Flower Seeds has over 100 different Zinnia varieties!

• 2Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
This morning I was moving my orchids into the bathroom before I took a shower for their weekly watering and so the aerial roots could take advantage of the high humidity. Upon taking my first step into the bathroom they teeter off of my tray and fall on the tile, no floor mat to cushion them, nothing, only the tiles. Their little innocent plant lives flashed before my eyes! luckily only one of my orchids sustained any damage, a few small scrapes on the leaf and a small rip in a flower.

Luckily the pots took most of the damage and are mostly intact, the orchid on the far left is still snug inside the broken terracotta. If I am being honest I actually like the broken aesthetic as it allows more adequate air flow and the ability for the roots to be more closely monitored.

m0XLBYz.jpg

• 1Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Finally the last of my orchid blooms have opened! I have read that Moth Orchids will produce another flower spike after a somewhat brief dormancy followed by small doses of liquid fertilizer every few weeks.

uRYFkNQ.jpg

E3aSVir.jpg

My African Violet blooms are starting to fill in although some of the older blooms are showing signs of damage. I believe low RH (relative humidity) or the levels of light being too strong are to blame.

p37qS9m.jpg

SaQMQ8G.jpg

And of course more Primrose blooms, I already had to pinch off an expired bloom and will have to pinch one more tomorrow most likely.

BwSHjFs.jpg

a>

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
That caterpillar looks like it could be a giant swallowtail butterfly but I'm not exactly sure. In any event I would remove it and check the top and bottom of any foliage on the tree and remove any small pearl like eggs you may find. They aren't necessarily harmful in small populations but insects are masters of exponential reproduction so be wary.
And youre right;

AU15HZk.jpg

And theres ive seen 3 other mature ones as well.

• 3Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
And youre right;

View attachment 129160

And theres ive seen 3 other mature ones as well.

I had a feeling... unfortunately these organisms will return each year, however as your tree matures it will be able to sustain a series of small attacks, while a large scale infestation can completely defoliate even the most strong of trees. Right now this tree is going to need attention, if going out and manually removing and killing the pests is not possible for whatever reason I would recommend using a bacterial insecticide.

Garden Insect Spray with Spinosad
https://www.treehelp.com/safers-caterpillar-killer-with-b-t/

Information directly quoted from the link.

• Garden Insect Spray with Spinosad is part of a new generation of insect control sprays designed for residential use in home gardens, lawns and on ornamentals. It is safe for use on fruits and vegetables, trees, all ornamentals, and turf. It is safe to use around beneficial insects and is OMRI-approved by the Organic Materials Review Institute for organic gardening.

This product is an effective control for insects such as gypsy moth, leafminers, leafrollers, caterpillars, thrips, fruit flies, katydids, gall midges, bagworms, tent caterpillars, webworms, loopers, fire ants and borers on stone fruit trees. It does not significantly impact beneficial insects.

When sprayed on the foliage, this products works like BTK by poisoning the caterpillars feeding on the leaves. It is more effective and generally lasts about twice as long as BT when sprayed on tree leaves. (BT remains effective on a tree for about 7 to 10 days, while Garden Insect Spray with Spinosad remains effective about 3 to 4 weeks).

Garden Insect Spray with Spinosad is a concentrate that can be applied with trigger, hand-held, or hose-end sprayers. This product is not a synthetic chemical, but a bacterial product produced by fermentation. It is fast acting and odorless

• 3Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Next step is to kill all those fucking weeds. Also slowly removing the grass in my front yard for eventual desert landscaping.

Big Phoenix Big Phoenix if you want to pull off a desert landscape I would strongly recommend Xeriscaping.

Definition from Wikipedia;

"Xeriscaping is landscaping and gardening that reduces or eliminates the need for supplemental water from irrigation. It is promoted in regions that do not have easily accessible, plentiful, or reliable supplies of fresh water, and is gaining acceptance in other areas as access to water becomes more limited. Xeriscaping may be an alternative to various types of traditional gardening."

As an added bonus Xeriscaping rarely requires any kind of fertilization because the plants required are used to surviving in harsh conditions.

For much more in depth information check out Xeriscape - Eartheasy.com Solutions for Sustainable Living

The only thing that would make me a bit nervous is using mulch as they suggest however I am not necessarily an expert on the topic of Xeriscaping

Succulents ranging from cacti to jade plants make great candidates for the project you are looking to do. The success of any cactus garden lies within a well draining soil. Your aloe plant is thriving so I can assume that your soil and light conditions are close to ideal for a rather wide scope of succulents year round. If I may I would suggest considering the following plants as well as reading the following article.

Tips for Growing Succulents Outdoors | World of Succulents

• Crassula tetragona (AKA mini pine tree).

These plants are very drought tolerant, easy to propagate from stem cuttings, and are easy to manipulate via pruning. Crassula tetragona grow about waist high either as a semi ground covering or as a single plant.

cr38_large.jpg

923eb3860e602abcf3ce0d98cef2c140.jpg

8ee36af30f5b25c7c349414cca233acf.jpg

• Delosperma (AKA Ice Plant)

These plants produce large quantities of blooms in a variety of colors. I actually own one species of these as a container plant and it was very rewarding. Some are more drought and cold tolerant than other species, although the variegated cultivars are nice a plant with all green leaves will grow more vigorously.

0402596.jpg

Delosperma-cooperi-purple-ice-plant.jpg

• Sedums come in a wide variety of shapes and size and some work very well in hanging baskets or rock faces where they can cling from crevices.

Hylotephium-spectabile-Autumn-Joy1.jpg

Sedum-hernandezii1.jpg

Sedum-burrito-Baby-Donkey-Tail7.jpg

• Various cacti

saguaro cactus

Cluster-Saguaro-Cacti.jpg

Barrel cactus

barrel-cactus1-398x600.jpg

These are just a few of the great options you have! I can always think of more recommendations as you get more involved with your landscape.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Not house plants, but spring is full on here. Went out and picked a cup full of blackberries this afternoon. Muscadines are already putting out. Trying to decide if I have the energy to do anything with the blackberries other than eat them. I normally make muscadine jelly or have my grandmother do it. Love it to death.

• 1Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Not house plants, but spring is full on here. Went out and picked a cup full of blackberries this afternoon. Muscadines are already putting out. Trying to decide if I have the energy to do anything with the blackberries other than eat them. I normally make muscadine jelly or have my grandmother do it. Love it to death.

Oh yeah this thread has been evolving to include all kind of plants and their accompanying projects, so feel free to post gardens or window boxes , exc....

I am extremely envious of your climate right now, I miss picking berries... Making jelly sounds great. I used to have a friend who would grow and preserve her own strawberries, it better than anything at the store, even the primo shit.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
It's not a box or anything. Live in a rural area and the black berries are just the edge of the woods. I did move a muscadine vine to a trellis on one side of the house. I could walk 50 yards and have enough muscadines to can a couple dozen jars of jelly.

I used to cruise timber in college from sun up to sundown all summer. I ate muscadines all day long every day. Only person who walked all day for a living and gained weight from it lol.

• 2Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
I have been reading about African violets and stumbled across the AVSA (African Violet Society of America). Cultivars of African Violets are tracked by registration numbers ya know for science, after learning this fact I was determined to investigate the lineage of my African Violet. I have possibly narrowed it down to a cultivar called Rhapsodie Gisela AVSA # 6613.

However I discovered a problem, a few of my blooms display characteristics similar to a semi-double style bloom, (containing more that 5 petals), while the majority of the other blooms are clearly bi-colored and single ruffled.

Maybe I have a plant with unstable genetics, its not unheard of in African Violets especially the Chimera breeds.

For more information on the styes of blooms and leaf shapes if you are interested you should look here

http://www.avsa.org/sites/default/files/files/Flower - Leaf Types.pdf

Example of a semi double

cca55822496bcdddb5bb39b9ccbee26c.jpg

Single Ruffled

a21033430aecce4bcf63f699f23c1842.jpg

• 3Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
More of the tulipzillas. It's been rainy and cloudy for 6 days. Today the sun is finally out and these guys are as happy as can be.

p6aG39t.jpg

zHYuUR9.jpg

• 3Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
More of the Tulipzillas. It rained again today and they all closed up.

I just have to brag. These are, without a doubt the biggest tulips I've laid eyes on this season! It's so much fun to see them get this huge. They are almost the size of that azalea there which is at least 8 years old.

The hostas are in the background. They are getting big and the foliage should fan out and settle down in the next few weeks.

2XSyreL.jpg

• 3Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Front yard planter's box. These are lillies that should have huge dark purple flowers.

There are tall deciduous grass spikes around the base of the pole that should come back this year but so far nothing is showing.

There are purple and yellow osteospermum along the flat edges of the box. They died back in winter. But since osteospermum has about a million different cultivars, you never know if the one you have is annual or perennial. I'm still waiting to see if they come back but my gut tells me they are probably finished.

Please ignore the frankenlawn. That's what happens when you're a complete idiot and overseed a zoysia lawn with fescue seed. I did that last spring and am paying for it now. The lawn looks ridiculous. I'm going to overseed with zoysia seed in a few weeks and at least begin to fight back against my mistake. I suspect it'll take a few years to correct it.

qvuWKh7.jpg

• 2Like