The House Plants Thread

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Are they very delicate?

Not really, the leaves feel like a fuzzy lettuce leaf. However if the temperature from the direct afternoon sun is too hot and there isn't much air flow you can get leaf damage. The trickiest thing is the watering. Primroses don't like soggy soil but they don't like to dry out completely either. It doesn't help that I bought a primrose in a tall container designed for outdoor transplantation.

Additionally, I have read that primroses indoors need monthly feedings EXCEPT when blooming.

Also another bloom opened today, that makes for an average of 1 flower a day.

As you may see on the bottom bloom there is a white-ish gray spot. I believe it is due to sun damage.
yMjD1Z0.jpg

hlXJWJE.jpg

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Bloom number 4!

I actually did not notice the latest bloom until I inspected closer. Meticulously maneuvering the blossom around the underside of the foliage created an aesthetically pleasing symmetry and was a great way to start my day.

dHcRpas.jpg

nOAy5r9.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Really awesome time lapse video, makes you appreciate cacti more.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
The first tulipzillas have opened.

aSZzq4p.jpg

A flower up close.

dwIUtsB.jpg

The great hostas are just now coming up. You can see it is circular.

6VhjMUG.jpg

• 2Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So am I just supposed to let him keep eating?

IMG_20170324_005355_01.jpg

And the Orange tree has produced an insane amount of blossoms.

IMG_20170324_005458_01.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
So am I just supposed to let him keep eating?

View attachment 128172

And the Orange tree has produced an insane amount of blossoms.

View attachment 128171

That caterpillar looks like it could be a giant swallowtail butterfly but I'm not exactly sure. In any event I would remove it and check the top and bottom of any foliage on the tree and remove any small pearl like eggs you may find. They aren't necessarily harmful in small populations but insects are masters of exponential reproduction so be wary.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
More primrose blooms, some of the patters have 6 and 7 pointed stars as opposed to the original 5 pointed star.

yz1saPv.jpg

TpCFzgp.jpg

J1Nqchi.jpg

• 2Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
I also went to CVS and found this Fairy Castle for sale. Luckily the person who was supposed to glue the fake flowers on did a bad job and I was able to remove them with virtually no damage to the plant's body.

Fairy Castles bloom once they have reached maturity, a minimum of 10 years. They can reach up to 6 ft tall. Blooms only open at night!

ETrrIGC.jpg

zFHZZbI.jpg

Jy7vLx2.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
Really awesome time lapse video, makes you appreciate cacti more.

Thanks for the great video. Some of my cacti are growing buds now so I'll post pictures when they bloom. Picture quality won't be so great. I probably should get a digital camera with better macro functionality.

• 1Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Thanks for the great video. Some of my cacti are growing buds now so I'll post pictures when they bloom. Picture quality won't be so great. I probably should get a digital camera with better macro functionality.

You're welcome, and don't worry about the picture quality too much it is still great to see cacti blooms. I just take pictures using my phone most of the time.

• 1Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
One of three dahlias I planted. This is the biggest and most vigorous one so far.

It should eventually grow a big pom style dark blood red flower with white tips.

This thing grows fast as hell. I swear that entire light green top cluster was not there this morning. It likes lots of food and lots of water so it's fun to tend to.

It has to be staked and I'm starting to think my stakes aren't going to be big enough.

oqJvU8D.jpg

• 2Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
One of three dahlias I planted. This is the biggest and most vigorous one so far.

It should eventually grow a big pom style dark blood red flower with white tips.

This thing grows fast as hell. I swear that entire light green top cluster was not there this morning. It likes lots of food and lots of water so it's fun to tend to.

It has to be staked and I'm starting to think my stakes aren't going to be big enough.

View attachment 128646

That looks cool, I will have to do some research tomorrow to learn more about that species. Also your Purple Passion Plant is going to love that large pot that you planted it in!

• 1Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Also your Purple Passion Plant is going to love that large pot that you planted it in!

Glad to hear it! That pot is about twice the size of the one I bought it in. It looks so much better now than it did and it's in much better soil I think. I pinched a few tips, gave it some fertilizer, and it has the prime spot in the house for maximum sun until it gets warm enough to go outside. They say it loses both its purple color and its soft fuzziness if it is sun deprived.

• 1Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>

View attachment 128646

This plant could grow past 6ft tall easily in the right conditions, I would deffinately look for a new set of stakes. The following is an excerpt from an online article about dahlias.

"Once your Dahlia attains sufficient height, secure it loosely to the stake.
I recommend using a length of an old nylon stocking because it will stretch as the plant grows, rather than cutting into the stem, as string will do.
Loop each tie into a figure 8, with the crossed portion between the stem and the stake
to keep stems from rubbing or being choked."

As for cutting the stems at the bottom that is up to you. Just keep in mind what shape you want this plant to grow. Keep trimming and you attain a compact bushy form. Another except from the same article.

"If your goal is to produce massive sized flowers, remove all of the side buds at the end of each branch throughout the growing season. If you want your Dahlia to provide a continuous, extended flower show, you will need to remove the spent buds promptly."

Here is the link to the page.
Dahlias, How to Grow and Care for Dahlia Plants - The Garden Helper - Garden Helper, Gardening Questions and Answers

• 1Like