The House Plants Thread

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
20161215_111133_001.jpg
I guess the change in weather is helping. Sorry it's blurry, I'll see if I can't get a better one when the 2nd bloom pops and the sun isn't blaring in my face.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hopefully a better pic. The 2nd bloom popped last night.

20161216_100826.jpg

• 1Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I need to take a picture of my Elm. I love that tree. It's at least 110 years old (possibly more but can't confirm) and has got to be in the 80th or 90th percentile for how big the species is able to get. And Elms that size are already rare as fuck due to dutch elm disease. But since I'm in an urban area and the tree was planted around the turn of the 20th century, it had a good starting chance at avoiding DED and becoming a behemoth, which is has!

It's winter though. Maybe I can take a picture of it every season from the same spot, that'd be a cool progression to see.

• 1Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
The Elm.

rzt4JAB.jpg

edit, hmm, the pic is actually twice that big. The forum must've auto-reduced it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
And just for fun, turning around 180 degrees form the same spot, this is my neighbor's 90th percentile Pin Oak. It's slightly taller than the Elm but doesn't have nearly the canopy spread. These two mofos create a ton of work in the fall but I think it's totally worth it.

rUtXg3H.jpg
rUtXg3H.jpg
rUtXg3H.jpg

rUtXg3H.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Big boy!

I'd be nervous as hell to have those big heavy branches over my house. I also would be loathe to cut them back. Good looking tree.

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
I got a cutting of a mystery succulent like vine a few weeks ago, now it has finally bloomed.
saxHGpG.jpg

xUNFjn0.jpg

YwbVxM7.jpg

My hoya Carnosa Rubra has also shown much new growth over the past few months as well.

QPfP3D8.jpg

• 2Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Going to try to grow a giant sunflower in a pot this year. Looks like I'll need at least a 5 gallon pot and maybe even bigger. They say sunflowers do not do well with transplanting so It'll be hilarious sewing the seeds in a gigantic pot.

• 1Like

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
I bought a Calathea house plant awhile back because it was so striking it almost looked fake. I didn't know it was supposed to be a difficult plant to care for. So far it is maintaining but not growing. Don't know if that is due to my care, or if it is just because it's winter. Another thing I didn't know is that the leaf positions change dramatically from day to night as shown below.

calathea during day.jpg

calathea at night.jpg

• 1Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
It could certainly be slowing down due to the cold. It also might need to be re potted. Add an inch to the circumference. I have a hibiscus that needs this. I was going to do it in spring.

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Some plants do drastically adjust their leaf positioning depending on the time of day and temperature. However, concerning your Calathea's slowed growth habits I would have to agree with AngryGerbil AngryGerbil .

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
Some plants do drastically adjust their leaf positioning depending on the time of day and temperature. However, concerning your Calathea's slowed growth habits I would have to agree with AngryGerbil AngryGerbil .

Yeah, I'm planning on repotting it soon this spring. Need to get the soil right, though. The nursery mix is very porous, so I don't think a standard potting soil will do. I've got some sphagnum moss and will mix that in with the potting soil.

Did notice a couple days ago that a new leaf is coming up, so that is encouraging.

• 1Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I'm planning on repotting it soon this spring. Need to get the soil right, though. The nursery mix is very porous, so I don't think a standard potting soil will do. I've got some sphagnum moss and will mix that in with the potting soil.

Did notice a couple days ago that a new leaf is coming up, so that is encouraging.

An excerpt from Calathea Zebra Plant Care – Tips For Growing Zebra Indoors Plants

"As with all houseplants, zebra plant care begins with the soil. Tropical plants need soil that holds moisture but is also well draining. Without good drainage, the roots will rot. ‘Wet feet’ is probably the major cause of failure when growing zebra indoor plants. A lack of water, however, will cause leaves to curl. A good potting mix consists of one part soil, two parts peat moss and two parts perlite. A good quality African violet mix will also meet these requirements."

• 2Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
My aunt bought me a mini Phalaenopsis orchid today. This is my first orchid so I hope it does well. Ive read that moth orchids are not too difficult to care for but I'm still a bit on the fence about whether or not to mist the aerial roots once a week.

HaXs4RQ.jpg

tbGv6sp.jpg

xht1T2l.jpg

oSZsOz1.jpg

cklT6CM.jpg

• 2Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
I inspected the lower half of my plant and found a set of very healthy roots!

4QDccSv.jpg

yG4OzrB.jpg

6G4B5uq.jpg

I also noticed a new flower bud opening!

lJfNg65.jpg

• 2Like