The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Siliconemelons

Also, I love that ducking is actually useful and not just a random mechanic they use for a test- run inside the legs of a large creature and you can duck his giant swings.

Random evaluation of what I found most useful in fights.

Beginning difficulty -> mid difficulty baddies = a spear is op because if its range and speed - unless they have a spear, you are outside their range and can stab them to death before they even get close - and the final strike knock-back usually moves them back out of range.

Mid -> high = 2h's are great because hopefully by this time in the game you have gotten timing and whatnot down and the delay of the weapons you can take into account - also by this time, if you mess up - hopefully you are not getting one shot killed by a moblin with a big club. - also 2hs can knock down large foes.

Any large sized baddie a 1h usually has just shy of a range to be in a place to escape attack, but still attack them - such as Lynels and other large creatures- I think the master sword is like slightly bigger than a typical 1h, but I cant say that with 100% confidence :p

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I am giving myself a time out. Pretty sure I have dumped 30+ hours into this game and only done one dungeon and like 40 shrines. I know there are people who have put in way more time but for me that's a lot.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
RE: Wii U FPS, I'm not saying it's unplayable or anything, or that I've died as a result, but as someone who is used to 60fps PC gaming, it's really irritating to be locked at 20fps in villages and other dense areas. I'll tolerate typical console frame rates under protest, but Zelda gets downright retarded at points. I'll just continue to deal with it. I'm not dropping $300 on a marginally better console just for this. Maybe once it's $250 with a decent game bundle...

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I havent noticed a thing on Wii U, it's just 60 fps snobs.

• 1SJW
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

It is people that are used to high FPS, I am not one of those people - I however understand their annoyance with it.

What I do like, is no one gives 0-shits if you pick something up, take the apples from the shrine in the village people put out...don't care... however in marrowind you accidentally click something "THIEF GET HIM TOWNS GUARD!" and a guard busts in and rapes you, now the entire town hates you and your faction is screwed and you cant do any quests...yes this is my marrowind exp lol

• 1Like

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I play Overwatch at 200 FPS on a 144hz monitor so my eyes are used to a high framerate. The advantage Zelda has is the developers knew the framerate going into the game and made the animations and everything look good at 30 FPS. Unlike something like GTA5 which looks better at a higher framerate so it looks like shit on a console on 30 FPS. That isn't to say this game wouldn't look better running at 120 FPS, either. Everything would still be much smoother.

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
It does seem reasonably smooth at 30fps. As you say I'm sure they designed the animations with that limitation in mind. It's when it locks at 20 that it becomes dog shit.

And I'm certainly an admitted frame rate snob.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Pretty sure all Zelda games have been 30 FPS or lower (OOT was 20fps), felt normal for a Zelda game.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I beat it without getting all the memories today. I've never be one to do those "collecting" shit achievements in open world games. I guess I have to go back and get all of them to get the better ending.

I'm really conflicted on giving this a 10/10 or a 9/10. I hate the durability mechanic, the 4 main bosses were pretty easy and not that original. They were pretty lame really.

I'm not going to hold the fps drops against this game because almost every console game has them especially Open-World games. Really the only way to get away from the issue is to play PC games where you are in control of that for the most part barring any poor coding on the dev.

My main reasons for giving it a 10/10 are the world is just absolutely massive and there is literally something to do around every corner. The view distance in this game is just amazing especially for the hardware. A lot of games use a ton of fog and this doesn't lean too heavily on fog. There's barely any really. The Ganon fight I liked a ton while it wasn't too hard it had that Dark Souls epic boss fight feel. Too bad it's the only one that had feel to it.

I'm sure I'm forgetting other things, but that's all the stuff off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
cool, thats what I am playing the wiiu version- ill look...honestly I have not looked at options... if I am playing the game, I dont want to waste time looking at options haha - sign of an awesome game!
While you're in the options screen I recommend switching the run and jump buttons, too. Much more comfortable that way.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I beat it without getting all the memories today. I've never be one to do those "collecting" shit achievements in open world games. I guess I have to go back and get all of them to get the better ending.
Well the memories are basically the story so it's not like some bullshit collect 100 items sidequest.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
I want to play this game, but I don't know if I want to buy a whole new console to for one game.

• 1Like

Malkav

French Madman
I want to play this game, but I don't know if I want to buy a whole new console to for one game.

You and me Elidroth, you and me...

Aaaah god damn it fuck, I say that but I just pulled the trigger and ordered one.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If I didn't own a Switch I'd buy one. Switch won't be your everyday console but you'll get a solid release or two per year on the thing.

And your everyday console should be a PC anyways

• 1Like

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
No progress on the story but I have guardians, hinoxes, and taluses on farm.

I have used floating bombs (octo-whatever floating) to kill packs, dropped rocks on things, called in lightning strikes with metal weapons to kill things, and used a chicken instead of a glider to fly around then land on a guardian and kill it while it walked around wondering what was hitting it.

This game makes me laugh with all the stupid ways I can kill shit. Oh, and red dyed tier 2 rock climbing gear plus three circles of stamina means I am Spiderman when climbing anything (constantly using jump).

Tip spoiler:
Stasis on guardians plus going for each leg makes them drop more materials and renders them feeble.

Hinoxes can also be stasis'ed to stop them covering their eyes or you can face tank them with the charge attack on a 2h sword at their unguarded foot.

Taluses can be stasis'ed as the go for a new arm to get the hits in faster.

Farming mats for set bonuses on rubber and ancient right now while working through shrines 75-100.

Lynels will have to wait until I get the camel dive beast ability that boosts charged attacks because right now they eat my store of food and weapons and the hard ones are unkillable.

Master sword should not lose durability against guardians, hate having it break midnight and having to blow guardian weapons.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I havent noticed a thing on Wii U, it's just 60 fps snobs.

Then your blind. It continually hits 20fps and stutters quite regularly in towns and in the two boss fights I have had so far. I'd say it's about 10-15% drop in areas. And it doesn't look like the switch helps with that unless you play in the portable mode at 720p. Awesome game and I love it. I can't stop playing it. Two dungeons down and it's addicting as hell. But it stutters. A lot. And there isn't anything FPS snob about it.

• 1Solidarity

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
How big is this fucking game? I'm over a week in and feel like I barely made a dent! The guardians are still raping me. On the bright side (if there is a bright side to this situation) my flight out to St. Louis on Wednesday has been cancelled, so now we're fucking driving out tonight. So I'll have a 13 hour drive to play Zelda instead of a 3 hour flight. Not sure if it's worth the trade off, but since I have no choice, I'm betting I can crush a large portion of this game while my friends are driving. Fucking storm...

• 1Like

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
(Spoilering because it's pretty much all spoilers if you haven't played the game yet)
I have used floating bombs (octo-whatever floating) to kill packs

I'm figuring you mean dropping a balloon on your bomb so it gets suspended, then pushing it with a gust from your leaf into a bunch of enemies then detonating it? Or possibly sending the balloons out from a higher vertical level so you can pop them and have the bomb fall into a crowd? I haven't tried either, but the stronger enemies don't take much damage from a bomb blast anyway so I didn't pursue that strategy.

I have to admit that, after tens of hours of play, that developer talk still showed me a few things I hadn't realized. I'm not sure I ever would have thought to use Magnesis on a metal weapon and hold it out in a thunderstorm so I could direct lightning right onto a bunch of enemies. And it's not like I wasn't primed for it, either. I had done a shrine where I had to drop several metal weapons I was carrying in between active nodes to link them and complete electrical circuits (chiseled into the floor). At one point I thought "Do I just need to have a bunch of metal weapons on me to do this or am I doing it wrong?" And since I had no choice but to get zapped every time I dropped a weapon onto active circuits, I had to compensate by consuming some electric-resistant cuisine. I still felt like I was doing it wrong, until I remembered that you get your life bar refilled after completing any shrine. I don't even know what to believe any more. This game is crazy.

and used a chicken instead of a glider to fly around then land on a guardian and kill it while it walked around wondering what was hitting it.
Ever since I just heard it was possible, all I want to do it throw cuccos at enemies and watch them get swarmed. Can we do that with a LYNEL? I just found the white-maned one yesterday, and although I'm not sure if he's close to a stable or alternate source of cuccos, I imagine those adventurous enough could figure out how to just carry a cucco a long enough way to make that happen.

This game makes me laugh with all the stupid ways I can kill shit. Oh, and red dyed tier 2 rock climbing gear plus three circles of stamina means I am Spiderman when climbing anything (constantly using jump).
Wow! I've only got two wheels of stamina and 1/3 rock-climbing gear, and I still apparently don't have enough hearts to pull out the master sword. I've got enough orbs for another heart and it felt like I was close last time so hopefully that'll make the difference.

Hinoxes can also be stasis'ed to stop them covering their eyes or you can face tank them with the charge attack on a 2h sword at their unguarded foot.
But then you're missing one of the most fun apects of Hinox: Running between his legs and staying away from his butt-slam so you can get a bunch of consecutive hits from behind! Feels good.

Taluses can be stasis'ed as the go for a new arm to get the hits in faster.
That's good to know. I find the Talus fights fun but when the weak point is low enough on his back that I can't swing at it from his shoulders, I end up using arrows to stun block him. It's very dependable and there's some room for error, but it eats up my arrows and dents my bow. I used to instinctively (and correctly) assume that I couldn't handle a fight with these guys but now they're not that big of a deal. It actually seems like the difficulty curve itself is player-directed. From a design perspective this game just keeps surprising me.