The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I feel like what sets this game apart from most (and what sets most Nintendo games apart usually) is that it doesn't take itself to seriously. Instead of just being a game you play, it's a game you can play WITH. Just learning about how things interact by itself is fun as hell. Not to mention the villages, characters, and world, are charming as hell. It's a world you'd kind of want to live in, even with Calamity on the rise. The game isn't mindless, though, and if you aren't careful you can easily be taken out by monsters, the climate, misjudging your stamina, wearing metal during a lightning storm, or one of your experiments with the physics just going wrong.

It's not a perfect game (mainly due to the frame rate drops imo). It has a few issues. But the things it does well vastly outnumber the things it doesn't. There are surprises around every turn. And if you go on top of a mountain only to find nothing there, chances are you can look out into any direction and you'll find something interesting just a glide away.

Also this game does cooking better than any other game IMO.

I honestly don't know if they'll ever top it. It's like Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2. Everything after it was good, but Mario Galaxy was next level. I also expect that the Xenoblade guys are taking notes.

Last edited:

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Also this game does cooking better than any other game IMO.
Gotta disagree here. The stupid requirement of only cooking one thing at a time, and not being able to replicate a dish from a recipe menu or something are blatant missteps. Making you watch skip a stupid little cutscene for every single dish is also annoying.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Only thing I have been really annoyed with so far is the weather effect of Rain. For instance, carrying a blue flame to a furnace miles away and then it rains and welp, may as well just sit here and wait for it to stop. (Unless there is a way to do this I am missing) And also having to wait to climb things when it rains as I always slide down, but maybe there is armor that helps with that I haven't seen.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Gotta disagree here. The stupid requirement of only cooking one thing at a time, and not being able to replicate a dish from a recipe menu or something are blatant missteps. Making you watch skip a stupid little cutscene for every single dish is also annoying.
Agree 100%. I love the relative lack of handholding the game has, but some quality of life omissions like a discovered recipes list and not being able to mass produce recipes is real pain in the ass.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Only thing I have been really annoyed with so far is the weather effect of Rain. For instance, carrying a blue flame to a furnace miles away and then it rains and welp, may as well just sit here and wait for it to stop. (Unless there is a way to do this I am missing) And also having to wait to climb things when it rains as I always slide down, but maybe there is armor that helps with that I haven't seen.
Light each of the torches on the way to the lab. Don't try to carry it all in one go.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider

For sure. I hardly do any cooking just for those reasons beyond throwing one hearty xxxxx in a pot at a time until I'm out.

I'm sure there's some good things you can make with good effects, but the game isn't hard enough to really need it so I don't bother

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Only thing you can do is find an existing fire or find some shelter to create your own and use it to wait.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Is there any bonus to lighting all the lamps with the blue flame? I thought there would be some reward, but I think I lit all of them and nothing.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Light each of the torches on the way to the lab. Don't try to carry it all in one go.

Yeah I do that. And then it rains :) So I cannot move from Lamp to Lamp. The rain puts out the fire on my Torch/Tree Branch as I carry it on to the next. So I sit there, waiting for the rain to stop. In this case it was fine though as I needed to clear the path anyway (lots of mobs) and so I just did that when it rained.

And then I found the Borg ship. EPIC :)

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Is there any bonus to lighting all the lamps with the blue flame? I thought there would be some reward, but I think I lit all of them and nothing.

On the first go around it would have been nice to have been given an umbrella torch.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just go to the Inn and speed up time so the storm passes if you are in town. Outside of town in the middle of nowhere though is a different story.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I tried this, too. Not sure if I just missed a random one or if nothing happens.

• 1Smuggly
Reactions: 1 user

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm

Agreed. I am always groaning when I know I'm going to have to spend 10 minutes gathering mats out of my backpack to throw into a pot and repeat it over and over. It is so horribly tedious.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Darn rain.... now if only a griffin would come busting through the roof of a shop while I'm selling I'd be right at home. :)

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

I ran around lighting every torch for every path in the first place I needed to do this. Unless I missed one, which I don't think I did, I don't think there is.

Though, there is the lady (without a quest !) that said that she used to like to look at all the lit torches before. I thought maybe she would be happy and give me something, but she didn't.

Finally did first water dungeon yesterday and have my first full set of armor. Upgraded them to level 2, but don't see any bonus from doing it. Guess that set doesn't give any? Or do I need 3x stars, thought the fairies said that 2 was enough.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Jim Sterling is literally a cuck (he ranted about it in a video because he was being trolled about it). I'll give the review a chance later but it's likely clickbait.

He's a fat cuck dressed like a nazi with nazi flag and outfit, podium filled with children's toys. Attention whore or what?

I do think the review score may be exaggerated because finally a games company isn't making their franchise worse anymore (like Final Fantasy) or handholding you (like Skyward Sword), so it's a pleasant shock. There are small flaws people have discussed. That's an 8 at worst.

By the way this isn't nessesarily set 10,000 years after Twilight Princess. A link/zelda 10,000 years previous buried the shrine/beast failsafes for future use, doesn't mean previous games couldn't have happened with them buried.

I'm getting that this Zelda is a science nerd and they are becoming self aware that they are being reincarnated, so she researched and found the 10,000 year old tech.

Previous games have cyclops guardians, some dungeons in those games could be based around shrines. It can fit.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Finally did first water dungeon yesterday and have my first full set of armor. Upgraded them to level 2, but don't see any bonus from doing it. Guess that set doesn't give any? Or do I need 3x stars, thought the fairies said that 2 was enough.
Yeah, I upgraded the Hylian armor all to level 2 and didn't see any bonuses.

EDIT: Hah. Why would someone salty this post?!

Last edited:
  • 3Salty
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 3 users