The Martial Arts Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

moontayle

Golden Squire
Last week I had the privilege of attending a seminar by Grandmaster Summers. He talked about the practical application of forms, specifically within Do-San and Won-Hyo. Very enlightening and opened my eyes to some additional aspects of forms that I had not considered before.

He was in town to administer the 5th degree test for Master Patterson, one of my teachers and owner of the school I go to. Even though Master Patterson didn't need to, he decided to go through a physical test, which included some form work, breaks, and demonstration and explanation of the 4 styles of competition he's been in over the years (Point Sparring, Kickboxing, MMA, and Jiu-Jitsu). All this on a 5-day fast (only water, fruits, and vegetables). First time I've seen him look human.

Last but not least, on Wednesday my daughter tested for her Yellow Stripe and passed. Been going since June and she's come a long way. When she started I only asked her to stick with it until the first promotion, but she's told us she wants to keep going, so I'm happy with that. I figure this will also give her an outlet for these upcoming years as puberty starts to hit and things get weird (she's 9).

Killswitch

N00b
Looking for mats for the garage to drill on but would like to hang them on the wall when not in use. Any recommendations? 10 x 10 for two people to roll or 20 x 20?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Got my first tape was totally not expecting it. Started in December and been loving it since.

What's first tape? I scrolled back to see if you told us what style you do and couldn't find it.

But i was reminded that shonuff was in a cult, so reading back wasn't a total waste of time.

If anyone cares, I was promoted to 6th dan last month in Matsamura Seito Shorin Ryu.

Oh and since I'm posting in here again, last year I bit the bullet and bought a couple of expensive gis and holy shit are they nice. One of them I had them build custom for me from somewhere in canada. I took like 400 measurements for them and I was surprised at how well it fit when I got it. The other one I bought off the shelf and went to a seamstress close by and had her tailor it. She said she had to break out her big sewing machine that she never gets to use anymore because it was heavyweight canvas.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Probably means first stripe for BJJ? In BJJ, a stripe is utilized to signify experience within a belt level. White - brown belts go up to four stripes generally before advancing to the next belt. Black belts are on a different stripe system where they get one every couple of years to signify experience.

It is somewhat dependent on the school / country. Some schools do not do stripes period and I believe it is mostly American as we need quicker reward systems to stay interested.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Oh shit, I've never bothered to check this subforum. I'm a BJJ blue belt myself, been training for about 3 years competing actively for about 2. Just had my final Superfight before moving across the country last night here:
I'm the goober with the long hair

My whole Youtube page is full of competition videos, some good some not so good if you're into that kind of thing.

I think its really cool that some of yall train. Moving to LA next month so if you're in the area I would love a rundown of the schools you are familiar with since I'll be shopping.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Moving to LA next month so if you're in the area I would love a rundown of the schools you are familiar with since I'll be shopping.

What area of LA will you be in? If you're looking for the creme de la creme of BJJ obviously you'd want AOJ or Cobrinha's if you can stomach the commute and/or cost.

I'm about 20 minutes east of Pasadena. Happy to give more niche recommendations if you're up in that area.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Haven't found a place yet. Plan to make that decision in the next week or two. Had a ton on my plate leading up to this weekend so now that things are slowing down again I can start focusing on the move. I'm not ruling out top tier schools like that, but I figure I'll end up somewhere below that level just due to atmosphere. I take training pretty seriously but don't foresee ever doing it fulltime. Drop-ins will be the decider for me but I'm for sure down to hear about any and all schools.

Captain Suave

Well, if you make it up near Arcadia, stop in at ZR Team. We're recently ex-Gracie Barra (ugh, $$ and politics) and have a great group. The locals are mostly guys with jobs and families (including me), but there's a killer crew of full-time competitive kids from Brazil and Hungary that train here. World champs at every colored belt and black belts that win regional IBJJF majors, if not necessarily medal at Worlds. Drop me a PM if you're in the neighborhood.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

In this issue of FoH martial arts globetrotters, Flobee Flobee made good and dropped in to train today. Fun was had by all, and he administered an appropriate ego-crushing reality check as I came back from a 4-month training break. Looking forward to the next time. If anyone else is in the LA area, our doors and mats are open.

• 1Solidarity

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Had a great time. Everyone was super nice and the gym has a good vibe to it. Don't let him fool you though. I may have been able to fat boy him today, but a little time back on the mat and things could easily swing the other way. I got what I had coming though. One of their purple belt savages tooled me up properly, I had nothing for him. It's always a great feeling having someone handle you like you're a child, in the sense that it reminds you of the levels there are to this game.

I hope to stop by the school again at some point and would definitely recommend it to anyone in the area.

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
I'm a bjj blue belt as well and have been training for just over 2 years. It's been really good for me. I'm in DFW and there are tons of places to train but if you're in town and want some recommendations I can still help point you in the right direction.

• 1Solidarity

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Cloud 9

Cloud-9.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
i believe what he's talking about is the ki-energy push "masters"

but on this subject

Xu Xiaodong

is the guy, he's exposed old timey martial arts like wing chun and energy masters, and he's had to pay fines, apologize and even has had to fled China

most martial arts aren't fake, just not effective. wtf are you gonna do practicing a 50step kata for?

this shit is stupid and gay, and just fucking choreography
giphy.gif

it's different than gay shit like interpretive dance
2.jpeg

fucking daniel san wax on and wax off is way more effective since (if truthfully practiced) is at least 10,000 repetitions and you have some sort of muscle memory.

Moving this to the right thread.

I don't think those chi masters are kung fu. Certainly not the ones in the first video, as they're not wearing chinese uniforms. I watch those guys whenever I can and I don't remember any being kung fu. They usually come from tai chi or various japenese karates.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Moving this to the right thread.

I don't think those chi masters are kung fu. Certainly not the ones in the first video, as they're not wearing chinese uniforms. I watch those guys whenever I can and I don't remember any being kung fu. They usually come from tai chi or various japenese karates.
everybody that
Xu Xiaodong

has faced has been a China recognized master, mostly tai chi

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
everybody that
Xu Xiaodong

has faced has been a China recognized master, mostly tai chi

Sure, because he lived in China. Has he stopped doing it since he fled?