The Netflix Thread

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
For anyone who thought it was too much of a pain in the ass (or didn't want to pay for a 'smart' DNS service) to bypass region restrictions:Smartflixis fantastic. Currently free to use while it's in beta.

As for how it works, the creator of the app is pretty active on reddit since its beta release:
Smartflix basically proxy some netflix.com requests to so Netflix believes you are in another country. It doesn't proxy the streams or other large assets so you get the video from Netflix directly (compared to VPN). It's also important to notice that the app can only proxy whatever requests are made inside the app, your computer Internet (even your Netflix outside the app) can't be affected.
In my experience it is pretty much the same quality as watching Netflix (US) directly. If you see any artifacting, you can press ctrl-alt-shift-S to open the hidden quality menu and use it to force the highest bitrate.

The difference between the US catalog and the global one is pretty goddamn ridiculous. I understand why it is the way it is (basically they only license the big-name movies in countries where blu-ray sales are shit), but still...

Caliane

Caught two "decent" horror/thrillers movies on netflix today.

The Hallow was first.
great idea, and use of folklore. changlings, as well as some neat Cordyceps for some real creepyness. Actual execution was just average. and much of the Cordyceps concept is dropped.
Comparisons to "the new daughter is apt.
3-4/5.

Second was Visions.
Good suspense, most average movie during it, but a fun twist on ghost haunting. Pretty satisfying ending, which is very unusual for these horror movies.
same high 3, low 4/5.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Post about movies worth checking out on Netflix or other streaming services...

Just watched "They Look Like People" on Netflix. Low budget, indie, horror flick that was surprisingly good. Lots of Lovecraftian elements, which is always a plus in my book. Definitely worth a watch.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob

looks kinda like a cheaper edge of tomorrow but could be cool, i'm a sucker for time travel movies

sep 16

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm a sucker for anything vaguely scifi related, and I like Robbie and the chick from Jessica Jones (so hot), so I'll definitely be watching this the first weekend it is out. Somebody make sure to bump this so I remember!

iannis

Musty Nester
No spoilers, but I'm thinking there's gonna be a Season 3 of Narco's.

Really a good show. It's like Boardwalk Empire but in Mexican.

And it's kinda better than Boardwalk Empire, really.

I watched a Zombie Show recently on netflix. It was BBC.. uhh, trying to remember the name of it. Dead Set, that's what it was called. Surisingly not as shitty as I expected it to be, there were a couple of moments that made it worthwhile. And the ending was pretty great, actually.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm a sucker for anything vaguely scifi related, and I like Robbie and the chick from Jessica Jones (so hot), so I'll definitely be watching this the first weekend it is out. Somebody make sure to bump this so I remember!
I can't count on you guys for anything!

ARQ is out, planning to watch it tonight.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Just got done watching ARQ. I liked it. Enough mindfuckery for a time loop movie without going full Primer. Not the best movie ever either, but I enjoyed it. 7/10.

spronk

FPS noob
watched ARQ, not great but not Sharknado bad either. Pretty much on the level of the various Trek / Stargate / Farscape time travel episodes. Fun to watch but drags a bit after 40 minutes. If you even semi-liked this you gotta go see Edge of Tomorrow with Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt, and then the 2 aired seasons (so far) of 12 Monkeys.

ARQ budget was apparently $2m and its quite impressive what they did for that much.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Season 5 of Longmire coming out in a week or so.

• 1Like

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'll also toss my hat in on Longmire being a great show. Katee Sackhoff is worth watching regardless of what it is. Luke Cage looks amazing, I need to sit down and binge.

• 1Like