The New England Patriots 2014 Playoffs Thread

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
10320505_10203293877458241_3340453289261408395_n.jpg
I hate how perfect this is. I hate the Patriots. Azeth, I offer you my tears. I hope they are delicious.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
I still think Wilson wanted the TD for MVP. No other explanation.
Remember at the half when they threw a TD when everyone was saying it was stupid not to just go for the FG given the time on the clock? That worked out well for them and they looked like they were geniuses. Immediately following that everyone was talking about how Caroll had huge balls.

I think Caroll's explanation is the simple truth. They saw the bunch formation and thought they'd catch the Pats off guard. They didn't. It was probably one of the worse play calls in the history of the game but just look at the Packers for an example of how shitty play calling can cost you. I don't think there's a good reason for the call - I don't think there was a conspiracy not to give it to Lynch since they might have to pay him a billion dollars if (when?) he scores. I think it was just shitty play calling and arrogance that cost them.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Remember at the half when they threw a TD when everyone was saying it was stupid not to just go for the FG given the time on the clock? That worked out well for them and they looked like they were geniuses. Immediately following that everyone was talking about how Caroll had huge balls.

I think Caroll's explanation is the simple truth. They saw the bunch formation and thought they'd catch the Pats off guard. They didn't. It was probably one of the worse play calls in the history of the game but just look at the Packers for an example of how shitty play calling can cost you. I don't think there's a good reason for the play call - I don't think there was a conspiracy not to give it to Lynch since they might have to pay him a billion dollar if (when?) he scores. I think it was just shitty play calling and arrogance that cost them.
I agree. The play call was bad but I do see the angle he was after.

It's like in tennis when a player goes for some high angle impossible shit that misses when he had an open cross court all along. Carroll saw the beauty of what could have been. But he missed the open high percentage shot.

I don't see why he would "save" Lynch for an easy walk in touchdown on a pass defense look that was clearly never going to happen. 3 chances to punch it in...go with the horse you rode to the Super Bowl all 3 times. If you lose the game on downs so be it.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I don't see why he would "save" Lynch for an easy walk in touchdown on a pass defense look that was clearly never going to happen. 3 chances to punch it in...go with the horse you rode to the Super Bowl all 3 times. If you lose the game on downs so be it.
Pretty much this.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sports Talk radio is gonna suck to listen too because this is what the talk will be this week. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Axlrose

<Gold Donor>
I can see both teams making a return trip next year. Granted a lot can happen between now and then, but the NFL swinging it as "Best of 3" could be in the making.

That picture above with Brady and Sherman is decent.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
that was just bad by the seahawks..... I don't watch football except for playoffs / super bowl, but fuck even I would have done nothing but run.

Merrith

Just feels like karma. They get gifted the #1 seed by the 3 way tiebreaker rules that ignore Dallas' head to head win over them, get Carolina (only 2nd team with losing record to make the playoffs?) in divisional round after Arizona is forced to start a guy off the street at QB (also aided them getting home field), get the gift of Mike McCarthy and whatever the hell everyone but Aaron Rodgers was doing on Green Bay in the 2nd half of the NFC Title Game...all topped off by one of the luckiest catches ever to set them up 1st and goal with about a minute to go.

Luck doesn't last forever.

Merrith

This just in......T. Brady best QB ever. A defense finally hung in there and cemented a win instead of giving the game away!!
Sadly you have to admit there is something to this statement. Say Seattle hands the ball off and Lynch scores the winning TD...it would have been the 3rd straight Super Bowl for Brady handing a lead off to his defense with under 5 minutes to play only to watch them give up the game losing TD drive. Now all of their Super Bowls have been decided by 4 points or less so a few of the other wins could have gone the other way too but it's not false to say he's a couple better defensive stands away from 6 rings.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
My hopes for Carroll and Belichick to spontaneously combust during the game have been dashed.

0/10, would not watch again.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Tom Brady could go on to win 7 rings and people would still find excuses to suckle at the teet of nostalgia for Joe Montana or anyone else until they are old and retired and it becomes an ESPN history classics series.

Merrith

Tom Brady could go on to win 7 rings and people would still find excuses to suckle at the teet of nostalgia for Joe Montana or anyone else until they are old and retired and it becomes an ESPN history classics series.
To be fair...11 TD's and 0 picks in 4 Super Bowls with 4-0 record is pretty ridiculous.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Saw em both play. Montana was better. I mean christ man. 4-0 in SB's. No picks. and what? 10 TDs? He was what Brady is now pretty much. He did have a better cast around him though.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Joe Montana was great, but Brady isn't done yet. If he starts Manning up after this season Joe still has some claim to the throne.