The Night Of

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah definitely the low point of the show. They didn't do the work to explain why she would tank her career like that over Nas.

Turturro's feet were the high point.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
You guys know you smiled when you saw the cat run by in his living room!

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
The stuff with the young lawyer was mega dumb. Naz is some innocent, inexperienced scholar but prison turns him into this stud capable of pulling tail in any situation? Chick who works for prestigious law firm throws her career away?

Also, there isn't a court in America that doesn't convict him. That's probably the most unbelievable part. His blood, her blood and he's caught resisting arrest with what could be the murder weapon. Shit. I send that kid to prison. None of the 50/50 split jury bullshit.

Agree with everyone here. First episode was great. Following episodes were ok.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah that's another thing. The defense didn't really present anything that exonerated him. All they did was introduce some doubt as to why the cops didn't question a couple of people. I don't see how that leads to 50/50 split jury.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The trial part was really not the best at all, except for Turturo's closing but that's mostly just b/c of him. The whole interrogation of the detective by the State was stupid, "well what would you have done in that situation? well what would your thoughts had been if you'd just killed a girl." And then allowing Naz on the stand.

Cat at the end was the best.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
I really enjoyed J.D. Williams (Boadie from the wire) playing one of the guys Naz met on the street in ep.1.

(He tried to plead the fifth in court)

It was a minor role, but pretty entertaining.

And totally agree on the lawyer sudden plot twist, seemed like very lazy writing.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
See I didn't think the state proved their case at all. With the many stab wounds Nas would have been covered in blood from head to toe. He wasn't. There were other suspects that the state not only didn't question, they didn't bother to cross examine them in court either.

Remember, the defense doesn't need to exonerate him, the state needs to prove he did it. In what they showed us the state didn't prove anything except how they didn't do a full examination of all of the evidence.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
See I didn't think the state proved their case at all. With the many stab wounds Nas would have been covered in blood from head to toe. He wasn't. There were other suspects that the state not only didn't question, they didn't bother to cross examine them in court either.

Remember, the defense doesn't need to exonerate him, the state needs to prove he did it. In what they showed us the state didn't prove anything except how they didn't do a full examination of all of the evidence.
This is how the law is written but not how juries actually make their decisions.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Yeah that's another thing. The defense didn't really present anything that exonerated him. All they did was introduce some doubt as to why the cops didn't question a couple of people. I don't see how that leads to 50/50 split jury.

In the UK at least, the defence doesn't have to prove he didn't do it. The burden of proof is on the prosecution to prove "beyond all reasonable doubt" that he did it. Any doubt = "not guilty"

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Technically, that's how it works here as well. Realistically, dude fled the scene of a murder with the murder weapon in his pocket. I don't think the fact that Box didn't question the limo driver is really reasonable doubt.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
In the UK at least, the defence doesn't have to prove he didn't do it. The burden of proof is on the prosecution to prove "beyond all reasonable doubt" that he did it. Any doubt = "not guilty"

The evidence against him was a mountain, though. The defense's entire attempt at speculating doubt hinged upon pure conjecture without any facts to back it up. Also as the audience we never found out if he didn't do it or not. His entire personal defense was "I don't remember." He just as easily could have been guilty as not guilty from even a biased viewer perspective.

Last edited:

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Was it the murder weapon? There was another knife missing. It could have been the murder weapon but it was never proven to be.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The evidence against him was a mountain, though. The defense's entire attempt at speculating doubt hinged upon pure conjecture without any facts to back it up. Also as the audience we never found out if he didn't do it or not. His entire personal defense was "I don't remember." He just as easily could have been guilty as not guilty from even a biased viewer perspective.

We found out he didn't do it when Box confronted the financial advisor.

Tenks

We found out he didn't do it when Box confronted the financial advisor.

Maybe I don't 100% remember it but didn't he basically say "Prove it." I don't remember him saying "Oh god I'm the killer."

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Was it the murder weapon? There was another knife missing. It could have been the murder weapon but it was never proven to be.

Oh shit you're right, I fucked up and forgot about the missing knife.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Maybe I don't 100% remember it but didn't he basically say "Prove it." I don't remember him saying "Oh god I'm the killer."

And then they have him doing a shit ton of shady stuff immediately preceding the murder like skipping his U-pass on a toll to her house and paying cash, waiting outside her apartment literally right before the murder, and entering with a big bag. Then the DA at the end told Box "let's get him" because they basically knew he did it.

Tenks

And then they have him doing a shit ton of shady stuff immediately preceding the murder like skipping his U-pass on a toll to her house and paying cash, waiting outside her apartment literally right before the murder, and entering with a big bag. Then the DA at the end told Box "let's get him" because they basically knew he did it.

I'm aware the picture they were painting. I'm also aware they lead you to think the entire time Naz didn't do it. I'm just saying the entire thing was poorly told if that is the ultimate outcome. A missing knife means absolutely nothing to me. That is the most fictionalized legal defense I've ever heard of in my life. Imagine in real life someone's keystone defense is "Yeah he had a bloody murder weapon on his person with her blood match but ... BUT there is also another knife that is exactly like the bloody one you found on him missing. I bet that is the REAL murder weapon!" Its retarded.