The NSA watches you poop.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
lol "likely"

Pathetic how much of a rubberstamp the judicial branch has become to the executive and legislative.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
CBS Airs NSA Propaganda Informercial Masquerading As 'Hard Hitting' 60 Minutes Journalism By Reporter With Massive Conflict Of Interest | Techdirt

They admit that they did this piece because the NSA "invited them in." In other words, this was purely a propaganda piece from the very outset. The most hysterical thing to watch is the "overtime" bit that they have on the website in which they explain how 60 Minutes got to do this story on the NSA, which reveals that basically the NSA asked them to do this puff piece and then controlled every second of the process. There are even a few outtakes where the NSA "handlers" cut off parts of interviews to tell people what to say.
60 Minutes Reporter Denies NSA Charges: ??~We Asked Hardest Questions We Could Ask??T | Mediaite

60 Minutes reporter John Millerdid not anticipate the scope of the criticism he would get for his report yesterday on the National Security Agency, because in the 60 Minutes Overtime segment released after the piece aired, he made the assertion that it was not a "puff piece" and said the report was, in part, influenced by his conversations with NSA critics.

At the top of the report,Miller disclosed his previous employment at the Office of the Director of National Intelligence

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Is anyone who has ever been involved in the intelligence field automatically disqualified? Bro, that is a fuckload of people. I didn't see the CBS piece so I can't really judge it, but just working in the DNI doesn't mean shit. If anything wouldn't you want someone with the background to understand what is happening to be doing this piece? Or would you rather have a fanaskin clone just tripping over his own dick at every opportunity?

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Not by itself no, it should lend you technical expertise and experience to ask more intelligent and critical questions like you said. However when you mail in a softball fluff piece it can have a negative effect because they should have been familiar enough to ask better questions. If you can't ask good questions because you are restricted in what you can ask then yeah.., that's like borderline propaganda.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Well yeah, but like I said, I haven't seen the piece. They were showing clips on CNN today I think but it was nothing shocking. Basically they boiled the whole thing down to the controversy over proposed amnesty.

Simas_sl

shitlord
lol "likely"

Pathetic how much of a rubberstamp the judicial branch has become to the executive and legislative.
It sounds like you've made some incorrect assumptions here.

The court decided whether to grant a preliminary injunction, so the issue before it at the time was whether the phone surveillance program was likely unconstitutional, and nothing else. A preliminary injunction is a device used to stop an alleged wrong from occurring while the legality of the alleged wrong is litigated and determined. The court orders a party to stop the allegedly wrong action while the litigation is pending. Litigation often takes years. The law recognizes that will lead to situations where someone has to suffer a wrong for years before a court finally says, yes, that is wrong, stop. At the same time, the law recognizes the burden and possible unfairness in ordering someone to stop doing something before the legality of the action has been fully litigated. To balance these issues, the standard for obtaining a preliminary injunction is relatively high. The party seeking the injunction must show that it will likely win on the merits.

In this case (these cases really), the people suing to stop the NSA program sought a preliminary injunction. The court had to decide if they would likely win at the end of the day -- whether the program was likely unconstitutional. The court decided the program was likely unconstitutional and granted the preliminary injunction. At the same time, the court stayed the preliminary injunction (meaning it does not go into effect) pending the appeal of its decision. The decision will certainly be appealed, because the judge declined to follow relevant SCOTUS precedent. Indeed, the whole interesting portion of the decision is the judge explaining why he won't follow a 1979 SCOTUS decision regarding phone surveillance.

All that said, (putting aside feelings about lower court judges distinguishing/choosing not to follow/skirting SCOTUS precedent), it's still pretty cool. This is a GOP appointed judge, and, as SCOTUSblog points out, he was one of the strongest defenders of the governments right to detain terror suspect's at Guantanamo Bay, and even issued a decision denying detainees the right to challenge their detainment (this decision was later overturned by SCOTUS).

More here:

Judge: NSA phone sweep likely invalid : SCOTUSblog

Judge Leon Enjoins NSA Telephony Metadata Program in Larry Klayman Lawsuit | The Volokh ConspiracyThe Volokh Conspiracy

Simas_sl

shitlord
Hepting v. ATT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Judicial branch has zero problem with letting the Executive branch run hog wild with power.
I'm not sure what you mean with this link. But's its not the cases from today. Note the second paragraph in the wiki: "The case is separate from, but related to, the NSA warrantless surveillance controversy, in which the federal government agency bypassed the courts to monitor U.S. phone calls without warrants. Hepting v. AT&T does not include the federal government as a party."

Oh, I see what you're getting at now, though I think it's not quite so black and white. Yeah, the government ultimately won there, though not on the merits, and the lower court refused to dismiss. In today's case the government lost. But as I indicated, it won before that judge on the issue of Guantanamo detainees challenging their detainment. But when at issue made it to SCOTUS, the government lost. In particular I feel the judiciary has been too deferential when it comes to the fourth amendment, but that may be changing a bit, we'll see.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Or would you rather have a fanaskin clone just tripping over his own dick at every opportunity?
I want Alex Jones doing this interview with exactly the same access the hollywood 'journalist' got.

THAT would be entertainment.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
and the "enemy within", that national security review I linked a few pages back projected that basically america did too many bad things in the world that is becoming integrated economically and fractioning politically to be as free a society as it used to be and not except retaliation so they have to crack down on the population.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Well they certainly didnt stop Oklahoma City, or the first or second WTC attacks, or Embassy bombings in Africa, the attack on the Cole, or Boston.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
not only that but all the tools developed are offensive in nature. In the area of defending against cyber attacks we are alot more vulnerable than we should be because the nsa is focused on offensive capability.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
I honestly wonder how those worthless fucks sleep at night. Ohh yeah my job is to spy on Americans and read their emails, texts, and all other many of communications.