The Official Guitar Thread

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
so whats a good way for beginners to start leaning?

i got a nice acoustic that i havent used in 10 years, i forgot everything, and my fingers are old and inflexible.
I was in that position myself. I'd gotten an Acoustic, but with no-one to show me, not enough money to pay for lessons I never went far with it and it just sat in the corner gathering dust.

But now there's Youtube, and it's great for lessons, Marty Schwatz is one of the best there. He has lessons for a load of different songs, you'll be able to find a song you've known and loved for years, it really helps to practice the same songs you like.

Instead of just running "Oh when the saints" up an down the first few frets.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Honestly, I wouldn't try to start on an acoustic. They're harder to play, and arguably less fun to start off with.

Get yourself a little $300 electric guitar and a little cheapie solid state amp, and go to town.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I would start going through videos with your acoustic (or that guitar learning video game thignsy, no idea what it's called but I know a few people who really like it). You're going to hear yourself fuck up a lot better with the acoustic and will build up better fingerwork habits. I would strongly urge anyone to never go into music with a starter anything. It's good for a kid who you know isn't going to keep interest in guitar for more than a few months so you don't want to spend a lot (probably also a big part of why the kid gave up as well) but if you're really serious you will instantly be underwhelmed by the horrible quality of the instrument that you bought. Craigslist is littered with $250 squire packages that people are trying to dump. To see how interested you are run with your acoustic, if you end up liking it grab a real, non-starter, guitar. You'll thank yourself when you begin to progress for doing it since you'll never have to upgrade if you don't want to and it will be a lot more productive to learn on a quality instrument. Plus it'll be a nice looking guitar that even if you just noodle around a little every week will look nice sitting in your house and nice guitars always appreciate in value. Depending on what acoustic you have it might surprise you how nice it might also sound after ten years if it's been cared for. I've played some spruce Ibanez acoustics that were bought for 300 or 400 dollars 5 or 6 years ago that just keep sounding better and better with age.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I agree that you don't want to start with a super cheapie instrument. It's just going to be frustrating to play and make it harder to get into it.

If you want to start off electric, used MIM Strats are EVERYWHERE for about $250-350.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Hitting a bit of a motivation lull. It's been hard to really sit down and hardcore PRACTICE rather than just noodle around for a bit and then get distracted by something else.

I think I need a specific song to work on, rather than exercises and scales and licks.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
f holes sound really odd on full depth hollow bodies. I have an old Broadway Harmony that needs to be rebuilt but when it was working It was really hard to squeeze a lot of sound out of it unless I used a slide. Granted that's a cheap guitar but even the higher end ones like Gibsons and Gretschs that I've tried play oddly. They feel a bit like a resonator but that might just be because they weren't setup properly (or possibly hadn't been setup in decades).

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Archtops aren't ever going to be super loud guitars, that's not really what they're meant for. I think setup does matter more with them than most, particularly if it has a floating bridge.

I really like my little Godin though.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
it is a really nice looking guitar. Sharp cutaway guitars always seem to be so rare I would think that they would be asking a ridiculous amount for it but the price seems to be reasonable especially since for an older Gibson. The one listed in the Gretsch category is unbelievably nice toohttp://www.emeraldcityguitars.com/pr...etsch-clipper/. Can't believe the condition of these, they look brand new. I'm currently trying to save up for a pedal steel or a duo jet but that shop has some tempting guitars.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Maybe the guitar gang can help me with drum questions.

I wouldn't mind picking up drums again. As much as I'd like to have an acoustic set, I think I'd have to start on an electronic set. Mostly because I have little ones and the only time I'd get to play is after bedtime
smile.png

Roland is usually the big name. Any suggestions for a set no more than $1000?

bad um chhhh

Alex

Still a Music Elitist

I wouldn't mind picking up drums again. As much as I'd like to have an acoustic set, I think I'd have to start on an electronic set. Mostly because I have little ones and the only time I'd get to play is after bedtime
smile.png

bad um chhhh
The drummer in one of my old bands went through a phase of having a couple electronic sets. The Roland V-series was my favorite. I don't remember the exact model, but it looks like there are plenty in that price range.

Seventh

Golden Squire

smile.png

bad um chhhh
I started with this kit, and it's quite serviceable:

http://www.amazon.com/Roland-TD-4KX2.../dp/B004KCHZ5W

A little more than you're looking to spend, but the upgrade to mesh heads is worth it. The TD4 head is a bit limited, but sending the MIDI out to triggers (eg: Superior Drummer) works brilliantly, and is a great way to compliment/improve the built in kits. If I had to do it over again I'd just build one from scratch, since I think I've spent more on upgrades than I did for the original kit. But if you're looking to just get your feet wet, it's a good place to start.

Here's my kit:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Sounds like you're going to get into the vicious cycle a lot of us go through where more and more of your time is spent looking for that perfect tone/perfect guitar rather than playing. I was trading amps every 2 weeks back a few years ago and my playing was really stagnant.

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
Added another amp to the mix this week. For practice, I've always used a valve combo amp with build in effects due to how easy it ease to drag around from the house to practice and back. Live, I revert back to my normal gear and pedals. I picked up the new 2nd version of the Fender Mustang IV this past week and have been amazed at the versatility. Dialing in tones on the amp are a bit tricky, but if you plug it in via USB and utilize the software, you can get some GREAT tones. Dialed in tones to get my sounds for early REM, Big Wreck, The Cult, Zeppelin, Rush, and even Metallica. For a 2x12 combo with a lot of versatility, this thing can't be beat.

Live, I like to play through the newer Fender Supersonic 60w head, running through 2 - 2x12 cabs. The Mustang's "SuperSonic" setting sounds DAMN close to the tubed original.