The Secret World

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Thing is, the graphics are perfect, and the UI is fluid. The Art Design was top notch. Blue Mountain, The Franklin House, The Haunted Amusement Park, and the Lighthouse were some of the most engaging story lines with the best atmosphere of any MMORPG I have ever played to date.

If people have not tried this game, you should. Seriously.

With that said, TSW did well (After F2P) Funcom doesn't know how to manage their company. Also, the Norweigan Government would be a hell hole to actually run an organization in anyway. It's impossible there to turn a profit because of all the government taxation.
You missed the "new coat of paint" point. Your opinion of the quality of graphics/art is irrelevant to the point. If some other company bought the rights to TSW, they could do something relatively cheap and simple like redesigning the UI (the new coat of paint) and relaunch the game with a new marketing campaign without changing any of the core gameplay functionality.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Are there any new quests in the issue? Don't see a single mention of it in the notes, doesn't even really seem like buying the patch gives you anything just going by their marketing.
I haven't heard of new quests, just the new raid / dungeon. Those probably come with a couple of quests and I imagine the story line quest expands as well.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I haven't heard of new quests, just the new raid / dungeon. Those probably come with a couple of quests and I imagine the story line quest expands as well.
Speaking of that, are there any new dungeons that have come out since release? I don't just mean nightmare modes of existing dungeons, but actually brand new ones. And if so, are they as good as the originals?

TSW's dungeons were just so much better than anything else out there. Except for one of the Hells which was a buggy POS

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Speaking of that, are there any new dungeons that have come out since release? I don't just mean nightmare modes of existing dungeons, but actually brand new ones. And if so, are they as good as the originals?

TSW's dungeons were just so much better than anything else out there. Except for one of the Helps which was a buggy POS
Issue #12 is the first time a new dungeon has come out since...forever. That is assuming you do not count Scenarios. I haven't had a chance to get on yet and try it out, but I was always a huge fan of TSW dungeons for the atmosphere and no trash boss > boss > boss mentality. If they didn't screw that up, I'm sold.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Definitely. I'm quite sad that Funcom have floundered because there is a lot of brilliance in TSW. I truly hope they keep it alive for years to come.. Funcom have really innovated in all 3 of their MMOs and TSW is a wonderful experience. They had so many ideas for the future of the world which have slowed down so much due to the poor company+game financial performance.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I couldn't get around how clunky/shitty everything felt. Didn't experience any of the immersiveness I've heard others reference. Game looked and felt stupid so I didn't play it very long. I wish I could have -- seems like for some folks, this game has been an amazing amount of content and enjoyment.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Thing is, the graphics are perfect, and the UI is fluid. The Art Design was top notch. Blue Mountain, The Franklin House, The Haunted Amusement Park, and the Lighthouse were some of the most engaging story lines with the best atmosphere of any MMORPG I have ever played to date.

With that said, TSW did well (After F2P) Funcom doesn't know how to manage their company. Also, the Norweigan Government would be a hell hole to actually run an organization in anyway. It's impossible there to turn a profit because of all the government taxation.
Agree with your statements regarding TSW (best quests in any mmo to date), however not impossible to make a profit here. While we do have (too) much taxation of various things, we also have benefits from it that reduce costs in other places. I studied HR in the US, and remember setting up job descriptions and massive pie charts showing cost efficiency of each employee in a department based on what they did compared to the expenses of keeping them employed. Main expense of any job there being health insurance, and for higher level positions various family plans that might even include education bonuses (children) and such.

In Norway the employer mainly have to worry about the salary. Education, health insurance, maternity leave and so on is for the most part covered by the state, leaving less costs per employee. Tax on profits for a company is 28% (though for any large company that is significantly lower due to accountants working their magic)

On topic of the game though, biggest draw for me initially with this game was Ragnar T?rnquist (Longest Journey, Anarchy Online, Dreamfall). He stepped down as game director from TSW when he founded his own company Red Thread Games to continue developing the Longest Journey/Dreamfall games. Not even sure if he does much of anything on TSW anymore. I haven't played it in a long time.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
FunCom is an MMO company with balls. Of course, the market stomps on those balls every time FunCom tries to swing them around, but I still respect them for their attempts. Anarchy Online and TSW were extremely interesting game designs, which, unfortunately, were either handicapped by severely incompetent programming, or low market-appeal. Heck, even Age of Conan had some interesting/good ideas behind its set-up, even if it was shat all over by "teehee titties" and being pushed out half-finished. FunCom's at least willing to do something other than just copy-pasting WoW or their own previous designs.

I assume being at one of their offices is like being in a friend's garage. Lots of cool, big ideas being thrown around... with next to no technical aptitude or budget to implement them. Except they actually try to cobble it together.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I would probably motivate myself to give a try, but these days, 98% of the games that interest me are available on OS X, which means I can't bring myself to boot into Windows. So, no TSW.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Finally got around to finishing Ep. 11 and glad they didn't tie everything up in a nice little package so they could continue certain parts of the story.

With the Templars I'm glad to see you are being targeted within the organization along with being deemed an international terrorist.

New currency system and daily adventure list are a nice addition, hopefully with the new dungeon finder incoming the game will finally have a good list of QoL changes its needed.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Just a heads up for anyone who already has an account and buys the Ultimate pack. You will have to start the install through Steam before the right click "show CD key" option appears. At that point you can get the key and add it to your original account through the web site. I've been eyeing the Ultimate pack for weeks now since I only had the base game and at $30 it's a steal. Yeah, it's janky as hell and most of the weapon setups are damn near unplayable but if you get yourself a decent weapon combo it's actually not completely awful and the story and atmosphere of the game blows any other MMO on the market out of the water.

Djevel Innenfor

Golden Squire
I binged hard on this several months ago hunting rare mobs for a jacket. The game was fantastic in many ways, but endgame was lacking. A dogshit group finder and not a whole lot to do. Any serious groups were waaaayyy too serious for me and my interest petered out. If I could find a crew that wasn't trying to be EQ hardcore I'd probably play a few days a week.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
this game is awesome. i do indeed load it up from time to time.

i wonder if i should purchase any new issues... I have the issue that opened up tokyo and a couple of other issues, but i'm not into hardcore raiding either.