Titanfall 2

spronk

FPS noob
PS4 tech test is up, be sure to download to ps4 after checkout on web
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...test/cid=UP0006-CUSA05988_00-RSPWNTECHTEST001

this gaffers post on what is wrong with TF2 summarizes my thoughts as well

• Removal of the AI Grunts in most modes
  • Titanfall is now based on points earned rather than a timer that you can burn down faster
  • Removal of Attrition (They aren't saying one way or the other, but the lack of grunts in Hardpoint and the addition of Bounty Hunt suggest it's gone)
  • The maps don't feel conducive to the parkour mechanics like the first game (The full game might prove me wrong)
  • Parkour speed has been slowed from the first game
  • Titan loadout customization is predetermined by frame
  • Titan shields are gone (Which also defeats the purpose of hitching a ride on a friendly titan since there is nothing to keep you from getting blown away)
  • Burn cards are mostly gone (loadout > boost so its kinda there but much more limited)
  • Wallhanging is a perk now
  • Can't hack Specters to do your bidding, although this is probably a consequence of the removal of AI in the other modes
  • I prefer the old rodeo system of trying to outfox the guy in the cockpit when he tries to remove you, rather than just having the whole thing automated and having to do it multiple times

With titans now tied more to kills and streaks instead of a timer that counts down faster the more AI/PC kills you get, it feels like they tried to make the game more like COD which is a huge mistake, imo

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just downloaded the Alpha and played a few rounds on the Ps4. Not much of an opinion yet, however it does feel more "slowish" then TF1. Have a better time in the Alpha then I am in Overwatch.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I'm glad they removed grunts. I'd play with a friend who would basically just kill grunts the entire game, like 50-60+ every game and get top score. Meanwhile I have 10+ pilots and 8+ Titans I killed and I'm mid scoreboard because I killed 10 grunts by accident. I didn't like that you could win the most common game mode by just equipping the rocket launcher weapon and spamming all the grunts you could as fast as you could. This ain't whack-a-mole.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Tried it out finally.

- Set your control scheme to "classic" and the controls feel almost exactly like TF1.

- The CAR SMG shoots just like it did before, which quite nice. Out of the box with no unlocks the gun is awesome. I hate it when guns are shit without leveling them for mods unlocks.

- There are only a couple of modes available right now Pilot vs Pilot (no grunts or Titans) and Bounty Hunt, which is sort of like "Attrition With Objective". It has Grunts, Spectres, and AI Titans. Kinda cool but I'm guessing Attrition will still be more popular.

- I was using an East Coast Data center and had a 32 ping to it. From what I have seen so far their net code seems pretty good.

- I'm not noticing a huge movement disparity between this and TF1. Yeah, maybe a bit slower, but still far more mobile than just about any other FPS.

- Titans feel similar to TF1. They feel "heavy" but still control fluidly. Apparently way more Titan types and mods, which is nice.

- Time to Kill is similar to TF1. Which is just perfect imho. You actually have a chance if someone spots you first.

- The one map I tried is similar in size and complexity to TF1 maps. Lots of routes to take and many combat styles are viable.

- Only thing I don't like is time to get a Titan is a lot longer. Also, it looks like Titan is earned by objectives, rather than timer. It is preferable that everyone eventually gets a Titan no matter what. Helps reduce lopsided matches.

Shmoopy

^ Looks like matchmaking suddenly went a little wonky a few hours ago. It takes a while. Was fast before that ...

spronk

FPS noob
from what everyone is saying attrition mode was removed from titanfall 2, bounty hunt basically replaced it

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I had never played TF but I had fun with the tech demo. For me, it was more enjoyable than CoD, at least for the few hours I played. Going to be an interesting choice between TF2 and BF1.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I had never played TF but I had fun with the tech demo. For me, it was more enjoyable than CoD, at least for the few hours I played. Going to be an interesting choice between TF2 and BF1.

I had a blast too playing TF2, however the decision is pretty easy; BF1 and wait for TF2 to drop in price a few months later. Bad timing on their part to drop a new game on the same time as a Battlefield series.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Maybe. I have owned almost every game in the BF franchise since inception, including playtesting the original beta, but I have not purchased their last two offerings, Hardline and Battlefront (if you count that). I thought those two were shit. Hopefully BF1 will deliver. I've not been impressed by other WW1 games I have played.

spronk

FPS noob
well, guess they won't be delaying the game or significantly changing things. Apparently the director of the game thinks the pilot speed in Titanfall was too hard for noobs or something, and the cooler map paths just not fun. Pretty much 90% negative reactions on GAF and reddit atm, I cancelled my preorder would rather play BF1 and Infinite Warfare than NoTitansFall. Totally amazes me how a studio could take an IP that was pretty good and shit all over it for the sequel.
Titanfall 2 game director on a slower-paced multiplayer

article said:
After the original game, we sat down and looked at it objectively. We got a lot of feedback from the outside, from fans, from research saying, "Hey, there's not enough. There's not enough content. We want more content." Internally, we played the game and came out of the play session thinking, "That was super exhausting. That was super chaotic." Why is that? We struggled with trying to answer what it was.
What it came down to was, it was difficult for players to have a predictably unpredictable kind of experience. It was difficult for players to say, "If I die here in this game mode, how do I get better?" Do I zig? Do I zag? What should I have done differently? It was hard for Titanfall players to answer that through their experience. So we went back to the drawing board so we could fix this.
We started by addressing the fact that you move so fast. You can't shoot out of the air so easily. So we slowed things down just a touch. Then also thinking more in terms of having players more proactive decisions, so instead of reacting to everything, they're thinking more like, "This match and this mode, this map, etc." They go, what things in the loadout menu will best help me fulfill that purpose. There's a much greater sense of purpose for players, so now they are thinking in terms of planning ahead, in terms of "I want to do this. This is my goal, this is my identity of how I am as a player." There's a huge difference, because all the different modes now kind of necessitate the player proactively thinking about what they want to do.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Streams I was watching the TTK looked 20-30% faster in TF2 than it was in TF1.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Shmoopy

+ The TTK might be faster maybe because its easier to shoot people now (not running quite so fast). Guns could be adjusted back a slight bit though. The TTK is still much higher than COD or BF (which are near insta-gib).

+ I'm fine with the movement. You are still more mobile than in BF, COD, or most other shooters. Especially with the grapple. Just shoot the grapple 50 feet ahead of you on the ground and you go really fast.

+ At this point all I care about is: give us Attrition Mode.

spronk

FPS noob
may be listening to players after all
Titanfall 2

Titanfall said:
Pilot Mobility
We’ll be tuning air speed and wall-running speed to be faster.
Players should once again accumulate and retain more speed when chaining wallruns.

Additionally, we’re testing scaling back some of the dampening factors that were limiting bunny-hopping as we don’t want these restrictions to impact normal traversal.

Titan Meter
We made some changes in Titanfall 2 with the goal of rewarding players for playing game mode objectives. However, we observed the problem that players can try to play the objective but fail, resulting in slower than intended Titan acquisition.
Pilots will once again acquire a small passive amount of Titan meter every few seconds.

We’ll be showcasing more maps over the next couple weeks on our website, including more traditional Titanfall maps.

Three of my biggest faults with the game, hope rises

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm all for getting rid of random bunny hopping when wall-running isn't involved.

Shmoopy

A bit more on the changes due to feedback on this reddit thread. They are addressing most gripes. Looks like a couple Respawn employees post there too:
  1. We’ll be tuning air speed and wall-running speed to be faster.
  2. Players should once again accumulate and retain more speed when chaining wallruns.
  3. Pilots will once again acquire a small passive amount of Titan meter every few seconds.
  4. Titan dashes will recharge faster.
  5. We’ll be showcasing more maps over the next couple weeks on our website, including more traditional Titanfall maps.
  6. We’re going to bring in the fade distance for enemy outlines so they don’t reveal pilots at extreme distances.
Just give us Attrition and I'll be pretty damn happy.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Anyone have any tips for aiming with a controller, I can't hit anything.