Tokyo Vice

spronk

FPS noob
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 3 Votes
Title: Tokyo Vice

Genre: Crime, Drama

First aired: 2022-04-07

Creator: J.T. Rogers

Cast: Ansel Elgort, Ken Watanabe, Rinko Kikuchi, Rachel Keller, Ella Rumpf, Hideaki Ito, Sho Kasamatsu, Tomohisa Yamashita

Overview: A first-hand account of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police beat following Jake Adelstein, an American journalist who embeds himself into the Tokyo Vice police squad to reveal corruption. Based on Jake Adelstein’s non-fiction book of the same name.

spronk

FPS noob

8 episode HBO max series starting April 7th starring Ansel Elgort (Baby Driver) and Ken Watanabe (Godzilla, Inception) from an adapted book.

Directed though by Michael Mann, a great of the 80s & 90s who did Miami Vice (tv show AND movie), Heat (!!!!!!), Manhunter, and much more.

I'm always down for some Yakuza shit

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

8 episode HBO max series starting April 7th starring Ansel Elgort (Baby Driver) and Ken Watanabe (Godzilla, Inception) from an adapted book.

Directed though by Michael Mann, a great of the 80s & 90s who did Miami Vice (tv show AND movie), Heat (!!!!!!), Manhunter, and much more.

I'm always down for some Yakuza shit
How do you not mention Collateral!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Singh'sSpot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Needs moar 80s, and 80s Japanese music.

Come on now, I mean this looks good and I'm sure it'll be a good show but this could be like a spinoff of Miami Vice.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Needs moar 80s, and 80s Japanese music.

Come on now, I mean this looks good and I'm sure it'll be a good show but this could be like a spinoff of Miami Vice.

It's not set in the 80s, starts off in 1999. Neither is it intended as a spin off to Miami Vice - it's based on a book that just happens to be called Tokyo Vice despite bearing no similarities

Halfway through first episode, not sure how many are out as episode 1 and 3 were on ip torrent

Last edited:

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I read the book more than a few times. If they use the source material it should be good. I was in Japan when a small yakuza war was going on in Tokyo, cops kept finding headless corpses in parking garages and would label them all Suicide. Japan cops don't give a lot of fucks when Yakuza play Highlander with each other. People only care when they fuck with normies.

Last I knew the Yakuza still had a contract out on Adelstein.

• 2Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
yeah, finally managed to find a torrent for second episode and just finished.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Do we have to wait a month for the next episodes? I got episodes 1 2 3 so far

Homsar

I don't mind Ansel or whatever his name is but if FoH likes it I'm in. This community has never done me wrong

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Vorph

Do we have to wait a month for the next episodes? I got episodes 1 2 3 so far
No, but the schedule is retarded... four weeks split into 123 / 45 / 67 / 8.

Edit: Did they seriously not master this in Dolby Vision (or even plain HDR10 for that matter)?

Last edited:
  • 1Rustled
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
The trailer looked so right up my alley but I refuse to not binge shows nowadays so I’ll wait till it’s completed.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
No, but the schedule is retarded... four weeks split into 123 / 45 / 67 / 8.

Edit: Did they seriously not master this in Dolby Vision (or even plain HDR10 for that matter)?

Based on the rips I usually see Disney+ shows in hdr and atmos but not hbo max

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Enjoy the first 3 so far. It's not action, it's just a slow burn story and I enjoy those.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Its not the book, and I never expected it to be, even says in EP1 'based loosley', not World War Z kind of 'loosley' at least..

I wish they would do the Book as a documentary with interviews etc.

Law & Crime in Japan is pretty fascinating, because of the cultural differences. I did work in Tokyo for a corporation that owned a lot of night clubs in Roppongi. I drank a bunch of nights in one of their clubs that was later famous for having one of their imported White 'hostesses' abducted and murdered by Japanese millionaire who was one of her regulars. Joji Obara - Wikipedia

I saw the whole 'Hostess' Club scene up close and personal when I was there and dated a 'J-Girl' who worked at the flagship one for the company. A lot of money gets thrown around in those places. Many a yen from Corporate expense accounts goes to buying pretty white foreign girls drinks and gifts in hopes of Salaryman getting in their panties. Eastern Euro and Israeli chicks on the circuit will give it up for the expensive Gucci gifts, US and Aussie girls will not usually and know the game is aabout stringing the dudes on a long as possible, and perpetuating the fantasy. 2 yrs Hostessing in Japan and living on the cheap and saving it up and let the girls walk away with a couple hundred grand if they can keep guys on the hook forever with 'one day maybe I'll let you do me'. Even weirder is they have Male Host clubs where anime looking femme dudes wait on uggos all night and fleecing them the same way.

I guess it all goes back to the ancient Geisha culture in a weird twisted way.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
TV show information provided by The Movie Database