Tokyo Vice

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Its not the book, and I never expected it to be, even says in EP1 'based loosley', not World War Z kind of 'loosley' at least..

I wish they would do the Book as a documentary with interviews etc.

Law & Crime in Japan is pretty fascinating, because of the cultural differences. I did work in Tokyo for a corporation that owned a lot of night clubs in Roppongi. I drank a bunch of nights in one of their clubs that was later famous for having one of their imported White 'hostesses' abducted and murdered by Japanese millionaire who was one of her regulars. Joji Obara - Wikipedia

I saw the whole 'Hostess' Club scene up close and personal when I was there and dated a 'J-Girl' who worked at the flagship one for the company. A lot of money gets thrown around in those places. Many a yen from Corporate expense accounts goes to buying pretty white foreign girls drinks and gifts in hopes of Salaryman getting in their panties. Eastern Euro and Israeli chicks on the circuit will give it up for the expensive Gucci gifts, US and Aussie girls will not usually and know the game is aabout stringing the dudes on a long as possible, and perpetuating the fantasy. 2 yrs Hostessing in Japan and living on the cheap and saving it up and let the girls walk away with a couple hundred grand if they can keep guys on the hook forever with 'one day maybe I'll let you do me'. Even weirder is they have Male Host clubs where anime looking femme dudes wait on uggos all night and fleecing them the same way.

I guess it all goes back to the ancient Geisha culture in a weird twisted way.

I downloaded the book yesterday based on your reviews and because I'm enjoying the show so far. I noticed on the comments for the torrent that one guy said it's highly fictionalized

Didn't start it yet but had a look at first few pages and something about the language felt off. The show has a serious tone, whereas the book felt a bit "softer", maybe that's just the intro?

I also note in the book he has a family, whereas the show is obviously different

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I downloaded the book yesterday based on your reviews and because I'm enjoying the show so far. I noticed on the comments for the torrent that one guy said it's highly fictionalized

Didn't start it yet but had a look at first few pages and something about the language felt off. The show has a serious tone, whereas the book felt a bit "softer", maybe that's just the intro?

I also note in the book he has a family, whereas the show is obviously different

The book is not True Detective, its non fiction about a white guy who started as a cub reporter and his career where he ended up covering the police beat. Its not a murder mystery. Its a guy talking about his career and a bunch of famous cases in Japan over the years. I cant say its some great piece of griping writing. Probably more interesting if you have spent time in Japan, been to some of the places in the book and are familiar with Japanese culture and Yakuza history. After my time in Japan I used to read Japan English newspapers online everyday and surf and post on fuckedgaijin • Index page (forum for ex-pats living or who formerly lived in Japan). I think its more a book about culture than anything. I think its kinda niche.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
The book is not True Detective, its non fiction about a white guy who started as a cub reporter and his career where he ended up covering the police beat. Its not a murder mystery. Its a guy talking about his career and a bunch of famous cases in Japan over the years. I cant say its some great piece of griping writing. Probably more interesting if you have spent time in Japan, been to some of the places in the book and are familiar with Japanese culture and Yakuza history. After my time in Japan I used to read Japan English newspapers online everyday and surf and post on fuckedgaijin • Index page (forum for ex-pats living or who formerly lived in Japan). I think its more a book about culture than anything. I think its kinda niche.
Japan today.com is my go to.

• 1Solidarity

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
PXL_20220414_154757289.jpg

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Can't take anyone seriously who wears those gloves, although FOH big brains probably think it's peak fashion

He a weird dude. He is a go to a lot for when Pacific rim English speaking MSM when they need a Japan 'expert' to explain the nuances of Japanese politics/culture even now.

He certainly isn't the dude from the movie.

Wearing dorky in inappropriate shit is what happens when you have spent too much time in Japan.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
He a weird dude. He is a go to a lot for when Pacific rim English speaking MSM when they need a Japan 'expert' to explain the nuances of Japanese politics/culture even now.

He certainly isn't the dude from the movie.

Wearing dorky in inappropriate shit is what happens when you have spent too much time in Japan.
Wearing dorky inappropriate shit is what I expect of any westerner who wants to live in Japan. Weeaboos are fucking weird

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Watched the first few episodes are really liked it. Never read the book so I dont mind that its made more for entertainment than fact.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Wearing dorky inappropriate shit is what I expect of any westerner who wants to live in Japan. Weeaboos are fucking weird

They take wardrobes, costumes and fandom to a whole nother level there. I remember landing in Narita and seeing 4 dudes walk by dressed as the Beatles circa I wanna hold your hand. Later in the week I saw another 4 walking around in Roppongi as Sgt. Peppers Beatles. Then you got to Shibuya and see all the girls with fake tans and bleached hair trying to look like Malibu Barbie. Or go over to Harajuku on a Sunday morning and see all the Goth Lolitas using the sidewalks as a modeling runway. I was starting work at 7AM and people were still spilling out of the clubs from the night before, I barely had a coffee in me and had to deal with drunk dudes walking around in onesie PJs and proto-furry outfits. And the occasional dude is an overcoat who wanted to flash you and show you his purple fuzzy codpiece. All this even happens in the dead of winter when its fucking freezing and they happily suffer the cold to look like whatever fantasy avatar that tickles their pickle.

So some Jew wearing Motley Crue fingerless gloves during an interview is super fucking mild as far as Japan goes.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Also watching this show makes me want to go back and re-watch ... it wasnt that horrible as a fish out of water in Japan Buddy Cop movie

brpost.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
It has a nice build, it does an ok job of capturing what tokyo is like, they are touching on a lot of the nightlife cultural things.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Its an alright movie, solid 80s vibe throughout it. American cop being given a gun and license to run free and go after the Yakuza is slightly over the top though.

Also Hans Zimmer totally reused his work in that movie(assuming its not from something even earlier) throughout his career.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Its an alright movie, solid 80s vibe throughout it. American cop being given a gun and license to run free and go after the Yakuza is slightly over the top though.

Also Hans Zimmer totally reused his work in that movie(assuming its not from something even earlier) throughout his career.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

• 1Solidarity

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This Samantha character is really dragging the show down. I really don't give a fuck about her

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>

It made sense in the context of what we knew about Japan in the US in 1990. Movie kicked ass in the time. Wouldn't hold up if made in 2022 but as an artifact of its time its still awesome.

This show, however, is great. The three stories thing is really kind of tired for me, stolen straight from the Witcher, because you can't make a series about just White males any longer. Female Gaijin trying to make it in the most misogynistic culture in the world; Yakuza bro trying to make it against the odds, loves the Backstreet Boys; and Anglo male reporter tying them all together.

Ignoring the enforced DEI, though, the stories are all well told, Mann's pilot was amazing and his touch seems to hold up even though he only directed the one ep. Really looks and feels great. They seems to rely on the reporter's naivety a little too much as a plot device; certain things you can see coming from a mile away. Last couple of Eps spice it up a bit but who is watching HBO series for late 90's Nippon T&A? Japanese actors are killing it; Ken Watanabe is great in everything and Hideaki Ito should have Spike in the Netflix remake of Cowboy Bebop.

• 1Edgelord