Tokyo Vice

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Nothing was finalized in the finale. Why didnt they order 13 EPS and close off some arcs and open up new ones for an S2?

Also after watching all how the individual stories have progressed I really want to Yakuza to eventually chop up pretty much everyone into Shabu-shabu sized pieces but leave the Senior Detective to solve the case and the Reporter Lady to write the story about it all.
I read somewhere that this show was strongly affected by COVID? I think and has been sitting around for while while they waited to finish it? Or something like that. Maybe that changed their plans?

Or they couldn't get the actors for long enough to finish a full single run show, so they chopped it off and decided to wait for a season 2? It doesn't make any sense.

It really looks like they had some mid-season fuckup and said "8 episodes is all we are going to pay for. If leaving shit unfinished works for Netflix..."

So COVID, terrible fuckup, or shit writing. Any way you slice it, I get leaving some threads for a Season 2 but literally everything but 2 (possibly 3 if you count the club) things are unresolved. There were better episodes within this season to end it on than this "finale".

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The finale definitely leads to another season, so production wise I think it's more like they got greenlit for one set of 8 episodes and left it open-ended with more episodes if HBO decides to give it another shot or not after viewer ratings and engagement.

I liked the show a lot, the first episode was awesome (Michael Mann directing) and I liked how the character development went after. Good acting too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Good show but the writing seemed all over the place at times. The fact that the very first scene didn't get resolved was a horrible choice. I can only assume it's a covid thing, because I don't think i've ever seen that done before. I had no clue the season was over because I was waiting for that confrontation to play out.

American characters were the worst part of this show. Especially the main girl. Loved all the Yakuza characters, especially the head of the rival faction. Makes me wanna play the games now.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
finally finished it up, man you guys were right the show just fucking abruptly ended with no real resolutions lol. Agree the main American girls story/character was just trash and filler, didn't care at all about any of it and waste of screen time. Hope they focus more on Yakuza and cops in season 2, that was the best part. Definitely makes you wanna play more Yakuza games, I'm just about finished with 4 and only have 2 games left now.

Its absolutely nuts the quality in directing drop off between the first two episodes (Michael Mann directed) and the rest.

Still no news on a renewal but its been pretty popular on HBO Max hovering at 1-3 for a while now

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I'm on episode 4 and I am digging it a lot.

I hear I am in for a let-down for closure, but it is really good for killing time.

• 1Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had no idea that I watched the season finale... I went to watch another episode this weekend and got confused as to why my HBO app said I had watched every episode.

In short, I agree with everyone. Decent show, horrible way to "end" the season.

spronk

FPS noob
wow season 2 drops in 3 days wonder if mann is still pretty involved

reviews seem generally positive but that doesn't really mean anything anymore

Lenthan

Trakanon Raider
I've been watching season 2. Still a good show. The first 7 episodes are out. Anyone else watching weekly or waiting for the entire season to drop first?

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
MAX is not publicizing this show at all, it's not anywhere I can see after I login. WTF is going on with their UI?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I've been watching season 2. Still a good show. The first 7 episodes are out. Anyone else watching weekly or waiting for the entire season to drop first?

I've got a few episodes downloaded but no motivation to keep watching s2. I'm about to put on Madame web instead......

• 1Edgelord
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had a problem with the show when the tapes got destroyed and not a single person thought to perhaps have hidden backups that nobody fucking knew about. As a reporter or a cop, I would have made a fuck ton of backups placed in multiple regions that nobody would have found. That would have been the very first thing I would have done.

"The building with all of the copies got burned down last night. I am so sorry for the loss of that tape"

No problem, I made 25 copies. I used all my contacts to each hide a copy with explicit directions that if nothing is said on the news in 48 hours, to then send copies to every major news outlet in the world. I of course have copies taped up and protected in the sewage line under where I live, buried at a particular location near the coast and my neighbor has a copy locked in a portable lockbox with directions to just hold it. I of course pay the neighbor for the trouble.

It pissed me off how stupid that part was.....

Last edited: