Tool might eventually release a new album someday

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I'm not sure why this suddenly is a story now. He's been doing a ton of press for the new Puscifer album and in pretty much every one he has a very curt response once the inevitable Tool question comes up. He's pretty much been this way since Lateralus actually.

I truly think he wishes he could move on from Tool completely but he isn't willing to give up the cash-cow that supports his other projects. So far it hasn't seemed like his discontent has affect the quality of his work with Tool, so that is good (it has been pretty well established it is the rest of the band holding up the creative process atm). Well unless you consider his curt responses to interview questions about the band as a part of his job.

And let's face it, there are a lot of insufferable Tool fans that need to lighten up.

Simas_sl

shitlord
Even Maynard hates Tool fans. (For the record, I like Tool, and they were my favorite band for a good while during high school, but I'm not a damn Tool fan.)

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
He's always hated his fans. Like the article says, him and Mikael always get shit on, mainly because Opeth and Tool are simply THAT good and attract rabid fanboys.

I personally don't care either way. Album comes out, I'm obviously going to buy it, just like I still listen to every Opeth album (though I really haven't enjoyed anything since Ghost Reveries). Album doesn't come out, I'll keep listening to other music. Not sure why people get all worked up.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
New Puscifer is out, Money shot. I know its not tool, but fuck do I love me some Puscifer. It sounds closer to Perfect Circle this time around. still moody, still dark, you can feel the vastness of the desert in the songs. fucking nice.

IMO anything this dude touches is fucking gold. Its not tool, its not Perfect circle, its Maynard you fools.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I've given Money Shot a couple of listens now, I'm liking it. Feels a bit more cohesive than other offerings but still has a nice balance of serious and tongue-in-cheek. Have tickets to see Puscifer next month, I'm pretty excited.

I get why people who are fans of Maynard's other projects don't like Puscifer but I really enjoy the much more eclectic nature of Puscifer. Especially the humor, I've always loved Maynard's sense of humor.

Thorpe

Lord Nagafen Raider
Posted on Tool's Facebook page about an hour ago;

TOOL TOUR VISIONS

SOMETHING WICKED THIS... YOUR WAY COMES!

For those of you who only like NEWS about TOOL, here's something that should be of great interest. The impenetrable veil of my dark scrying mirror FINALLY CLEARED today - enough so, in fact - that I could perceive a large heptagram on a complexly lit stage where four performers were dwarfed by dramatic video projections. Evidently the sonic and visual extravaganza that I was receiving is a rare glimpse of FUTURE TOOL U.S.A. TOUR DATES in the month of JANUARY, 2016 e.v. However, with some of the images in the depths of the black glass not being clearly distinct... YET, fans will have to keep checking back (SOON) on the Tool websites and Tool facebook page for an official announcement containing a list of the SHOW DATES, CITIES and VENUES, as well as for info about a tour support act(s). Regarding an opening band(s), what I was able to discern through the ever-shifting veil will in all likeliness be exciting to many Tool enthusiasts. STAY TUNED, FOLKS... as my trusty SCRYING MIRROR CONTINUES TO CLEAR...

Hachiman_sl

shitlord
I've been a fan of the band for quite some time. I'd say Tool are in my top five all time favorites. I've paid for every album and seen them live 6 or 7 times. I happily support them, because I have enjoyed countless hours of listening to their music - and the best way to support a band financially is to see them live. I sincerely hope that this upcoming tour includes new music and isn't the same set list they've had since 2006.

Mastodon opened for Tool on the 10,000 days tour. Blood Mountain released a few months after 10000 days. Then came Crack the Skye, The Hunter, and Once More Round the Sun, and another on the way. High on Fire have released four albums since then. Foo Fighters, three albums, Radiohead, two (with two Thom Yorke side projects and another on the way), Fucking Wilco have released four albums since 2006.

Tool doesn't owe me or anyone else new music, but for god's sake if you don't have new stuff just stay home. Tours without new material have a "Vanilla Ice at the State Fair" vibe - sad and only for the money.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Tool doesn't owe me or anyone else new music, but for god's sake if you don't have new stuff just stay home. Tours without new material have a "Vanilla Ice at the State Fair" vibe - sad and only for the money.
I don't know man, despite their numerous tours since 10,000 Days (much less over their career) I would guess that at least 1/2 my friends who like/love the band still have never had the chance to see them live. Mainly because their shows sell out in second. Even if they never play another note of new music as long as they bring the same live experience that they have brought every time I've seen them (which is in double digits now) I will still encourage everyone I know to go see one of their shows if they haven't before and even I would catch them from time-to-time. Their lives act is that good, one of the greatest of all time in rock.

For what it is worth at Monster Mash they played a couple of tunes that hadn't been played live by the band in 10-15 years.

Hachiman_sl

shitlord
I would guess that at least 1/2 my friends who like/love the band still have never had the chance to see them live. Mainly because their shows sell out in second. Even if they never play another note of new music as long as they bring the same live experience that they have brought every time I've seen them (which is in double digits now) I will still encourage everyone I know to go see one of their shows if they haven't before and even I would catch them from time-to-time. Their lives act is that good, one of the greatest of all time in rock.

For what it is worth at Monster Mash they played a couple of tunes that hadn't been played live by the band in 10-15 years.
I agree, if you haven't seen them live - you should. I made a point to take non-fans, and all of them were blown away. My guess is many of the people who would go see Tool nowadays are die hard fans, however. I'm a fan and a consumer, not an artist, but I do believe that there is a relationship between artists and their admirers. We get something from the art and the artists receive something from us. I'm not entirely sure what that is (validity, love, admiration) but they certainly want something from us, otherwise there would be no performance. Few groups have a fan base as loyal as Tool, I only hope that loyalty is rewarded at some point.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Then don't go? I saw NIN three times in the span of about 2 years around Year Zero, and the shows were all very similar with that LED chain link fence thingy that came down in front of the band. Didn't regret seeing them once. Although it was nice that they changed things up significantly for the Hesitation Marks tour, I wouldn't have cared all that much if it was the same as the previous 3 times.

Although I guess I can kinda sorta see the problem with Tool, in that they don't have nearly as much material to play from as most other bands that have been around as long as they have. But as someone who lives a bit off the beaten path for most large US touring bands, I'll go see a band like Tool any chance I can get. I think they've only been here 2-3 times in the past 15 years. Not sure about in the 90's when they wouldn't have been a full on arena act on their own.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, every time tool has come to nola tickets have sold out in seconds. I had a friend who worked at a ticketmaster kiosk and still couldn't get tickets last time they were in town. Hopefully they do something to curb the ticket resellers this time if they do a show down here.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
They really need to switch up their set list. They have plenty of material. They don't need to open with Jambi at every show.

Thorpe

Lord Nagafen Raider
Tool 2016 Tour Dates:

01/09 ? San Diego, CA @ Viejas Arena *
01/13 ? San Antonio, TX @ AT&T Center *
01/16 ? Tulsa, OK @ BOK Center *
01/17 ? Grand Prairie, TX @ Verizon Theatre *
01/19 ? Southaven, MS @ Landers Center *
01/23 ? Nashville, TN @ Bridgestone Arena *
01/25 ? Atlanta, GA @ Infinite Energy Center *
01/26 ? Charlotte, NC @ Bojangles Coliseum *

* = w/ Primus

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Primus opening for them might be the only thing to get me down to San Diego. And that's still a stretch.