Tool might eventually release a new album someday

opiate82

Bronze Squire
A "double" album wouldn't surprise me, and Buzz Osborne from the Melvins did say that he talked with Adam and there wasn't a single song they were working on that was under 12 minutes. I'd actually trust him as a source inasmuch as the two bands are pretty close. But also, they love to fuck with each other so also wouldn't surprise me Buzz was riling up the media as a prank to drive Tool (and their fans) nuts.

That Reddit post though, yeah, there is about a 1% chance it is true, a 1% chance the dudes source is legit but fucking with him, and a 98% chance it is all fake.

Del

Vyemm Raider
There's no way there will be a double album either. Last update on the album was that there was like only 1 song finished and a couple others being worked on. It took them how many years to get that far and now suddenly people think they'll have ~120 minutes worth of material?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
didn't i hear they have a whole fuck ton of music written, just haven't gotten maynard to settle down long enough to write the vocals?

opiate82

Bronze Squire
didn't i hear they have a whole fuck ton of music written, just haven't gotten maynard to settle down long enough to write the vocals?
Maynard is actually bitching that they haven't gotten him any music yet to start writing lyrics/melodies. Last I heard was a bunch of songs in progress but only one completed, that was a while ago though. Reading between the lines makes me think Maynard believes the rest of the guys are being perfectionist.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Hey look, another reason why the album isn't getting done. A Maynard biography/book tour

MAYNARD JAMES KEENAN: A Perfect Union of Contrary Things November 11th, 2016 | Ticketfly

394383_2.jpg

Del

Vyemm Raider
I know Maynard is everyone's favorite scapegoat, but he isn't the lazy one here. Adam Jones is downright unable to finish any project these days. Remember when he was working on a video for The Pot 9-10 years ago? What happened to that? Then he was supposedly working on something for Opiates anniversary, also nothing to come from that. I'm genuinely convinced he's the reason we aren't getting an album. Whether it be due to laziness or being a perfectionist remains to be seen. I tend to favor the former.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yeah, it definitely sounds like from the articles/interviews I've read that Maynard is twiddling his thumbs waiting for music. Granted he could be in the studio working in conjunction with them, but they've never really written like that. Maynard has said numerous times that his creativity is reactionary (hears the music, gets inspired) and doesn't do to well trying to write lyrics/melodies to songs that aren't completed yet, especially if the band changes direction on them and he's stuck on the original idea he had.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
But nobody really knows when yet. So here's a video with some of the new CGI they've been using to accompany that one new song they've played live.

Last edited:

Vycarious

Lord Nagafen Raider
I will follow this and be horribly disappointed every time I check this thread when it gets bumped from the lack of any news on a release date. They need to stop playing with my emotions and get this done.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I will follow this and be horribly disappointed every time I check this thread when it gets bumped from the lack of any news on a release date. They need to stop playing with my emotions and get this done.

Worse, you can set it up to email you when this thread is bumped!

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Gonna manage my expectations here. Can't think of too many bands that got back in the studio after a 10 year hiatus and put out something worth listening to.

xzi

Mouthbreather
At this point I'm taking bets which will come first, HL3 or new TOOL album?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

opiate82

Bronze Squire
This is the from the latest newsletter from the douche-bag who runs the band's website, who takes some sort of sick pride in trying to be even more cryptic than the band's lyrics.

So, what didn't I ask [Danny]? Well, a few things, with the first being: Excluding vocals, segues, etc., what percentage of the new album material was complete? I also didn't ask him if there were plans for any guest musicians to perform on the new record, or if they had discussed any cover artwork concepts? Finally, I didn't ask him if there would be anything that was shockingly different from the signature Tool sound on the new album? Sorry, maybe next time - when there might be some answers that I can post. For now, keep in mind the old adage: "No news is good news." It was time to head to the long bar of the dimly lit "Golden Tiki" for a tropical libation (and glass of ice water!).

I almost forgot one last item. On second thought, why even bother to bring it up? Oh, what the hell... Danny did mention the possibility of something happening after the record was released, but that this was definitely NOT a sure thing at this point. Since this involves something that may or may not even happen, I won't (if fact, can't) expand on it - only to say that: if it does happen, now that would be stop the press news!

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
This is the from the latest newsletter from the douche-bag who runs the band's website, who takes some sort of sick pride in trying to be even more cryptic than the band's lyrics.
Yeah... The hardcore Tool fans are some of the most insufferable people on this planet.

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Just listen to Puscifer in the mean time. I know it is not the same, or even close but enjoyable none the less.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think we might be better off waiting for a new Nirvana album.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Who cares as long as Puscifer is around. Yeah, its not Tool, but its good shit nonetheless. IF you know music, that is.