Total Recall (1990)

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I fucking LOVE these cheesy, B-film, action flicks from the 80s and 90s, and I'm not ashamed to say it. The one liners, the over the top action, the impossible fights, the stereotypes. Fucking love all of it man. Arnie was king of them, but Steven Segal, Van Damme and some others also are good. The Die Hard films are a legacy of these too. They don't make them like they used to, though. God I miss going down to the video store in the mid 90s and grabbing a double feature of epic action films. Fight me!

Edit: By "B-film" I don't only mean low budget, since many had high production rates and A list actors, but they had that feel to them, of not taking life too seriously.

You also get awesome shit when they're taken TOO seriously, like Cobra. Stallone wrote it during what must have been a drug fueled time in his life after Rocky 4 and Rambo 2 just made a zillion dollars the day before and nobody could tell him what to do

Cobra1986.jpg

Guy takes hostages at a grocery store, Stallone's a cop who comes in to take care of it and on his way back to the guy grabs a beer and chugs it. Then the guy says he has a bomb and will blow the place up and Stallone says "Go ahead, I don't shop here."

I fucking love it when someone like Stallone thinks they have such a cool line and nobody on the staff has the balls to raise their hand and be like "Uhh that actually makes him sound retarded because even though he doesn't shop there he's still INSIDE THE FUCKING STORE"

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Commando is just glorious schlock. Watching Arnie mow down dudes with a M60 of infinite ammo never gets old.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I fucking LOVE these cheesy, B-film, action flicks from the 80s and 90s, and I'm not ashamed to say it. The one liners, the over the top action, the impossible fights, the stereotypes. Fucking love all of it man. Arnie was king of them, but Steven Segal, Van Damme and some others also are good. The Die Hard films are a legacy of these too. They don't make them like they used to, though. God I miss going down to the video store in the mid 90s and grabbing a double feature of epic action films. Fight me!

Edit: By "B-film" I don't only mean low budget, since many had high production rates and A list actors, but they had that feel to them, of not taking life too seriously.
the great thing about Predator, is they took a premise from a 1950s B horror film like Creature From the Black Lagoon or The Thing From Another Planet, then mates it with a Rambo knockoff film and then turns the whole fucking thing on its head with an Aliens twist. then include state of the art CGI for the predator and Stan Winston studios supplying the creature costume. then the movie gets interesting. Arnold who is always the biggest badass in his films, gets completely clowned by the Predator until the very end Arnie gets a lucky break. when my friends and i left the theater for this, Arnold getting his shit handed to him was the main topic. the cool as fuck Predator was secondary

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The Predator was initially Jean-Claude Van Damme.

He claims the suit they made him wear was too bulky and hot and he'd never be able to do the athletic shit they wanted anyways. They claim he was a diva and always complaining. Could see both sides being right in that one.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tsar Bomba

Trakanon Raider
The tits are literally blink and you'll miss it.

They bust into a room while fighting and a guy and a girl are banging before she quickly covers up.

The hilarious, and never mentioned in the movie, part is they're going doggy style and the girl is behind the guy like she's pegging him or something.

Commando and Hard Target my are two favorite movies that people think are dumb action, but are secretly brilliant
There is a director cut of "Hard Target". Mostly more extended scenes of violence.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
There is a director cut of "Hard Target". Mostly more extended scenes of violence.

I have the 99 minute "international" version, which is glorious.

Shooting guys 30 times from right in front of them before spin kicking them in the head. One guy he does that and then starts shooting him some more.

Van Cleef gets shot 40 times from 2' away and still does a slow dramatic death. Shots of Van Damme running around doing olympic level flips for absolutely no reason during the last shootout.

Can't believe there are still movies out there that don't star Van Damme and arent directed by John Woo

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Commando and Hard Target my are two favorite movies that people think are dumb action, but are secretly brilliant
Yancy Butler was hot as fuck back then. She was also in another badass action movie that doesn't ever get enough praise - Drop Zone.

• 3Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Similar situation here, except Predator was the movie I always thought was better than T2. Now I recognize T2 as basically unparalleled for the era outside of Aliens.

Just rewatched Total Recall, then watched the 2014ish remake for the first time. I didn't hate the remake the way most people did, but it was kinda boring later on, and too long. The fact that he basically fought the evil wife for the entire movie (while the other goons were just insignificant background) made the battle seem a lot smaller than the original movie when he had an army of minions after him. Like no joke, after a while it felt like the evil wife was Cohagen's only soldier.

Is it true that the remake is closer to the story it's based on, at least?
Arnold riding around on the Harley Fatboy and jumping off that bridge into the drainage basin was pretty sweet. Hell, the entire basic scene with John Conner was good stuff. But the end... The mini-gun. God damn was that magical.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Arnold riding around on the Harley Fatboy and jumping off that bridge into the drainage basin was pretty sweet. Hell, the entire basic scene with John Conner was good stuff. But the end... The mini-gun. God damn was that magical.
Same gun from Predator to T2. They just changed some of the cosmetics on it for Arnold. I just read an article on it the other day. Will link it if I can find it.

Edit: I don't know if these were the original links I read but its mostly the information I was looking for, including the Stembridge Gun Rentals stuff.

Last edited:
  • 1Blown

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Since this thread is now about Commando I have to share this true story.

I'm about 14 and I get home from school. My mom and aunt are chatting at the dinner table. I'm bored so I decide to put on a movie and watch Commando again.
Mom and aunt just keep chatting about random woman stuff at the dinner table
The opening scene where Arnold is carrying the log comes on and his arms are just massive
Conversation suddenly stops
About 5 seconds later my aunt says "oh I don't think that's attractive at all"
Mom says "oh I know"

Basically I learned a lot about women that day.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Since this thread is now about Commando I have to share this true story.

I'm about 14 and I get home from school. My mom and aunt are chatting at the dinner table. I'm bored so I decide to put on a movie and watch Commando again.
Mom and aunt just keep chatting about random woman stuff at the dinner table
The opening scene where Arnold is carrying the log comes on and his arms are just massive
Conversation suddenly stops
About 5 seconds later my aunt says "oh I don't think that's attractive at all"
Mom says "oh I know"

Basically I learned a lot about women that day.
i think your mom and aunt were probably fibbing.Arnold as ugly as he is, he still had to fight off all that pussy with a stick because of his massive physique. there is that documentary, Bigger Stronger Faster about the muscle guys thinking if they go super extreme they wil be "just like Arnold" and score money and lots of pussy. the reality was that it was just other muscle guys coming up to them wanting to talk about muscles stuff, girls noped out. with Arnold, he only built his muscle for competition, when he went full acting, he toned way down so when he did Commando, he still had massive arms, but it wasnt obscene.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Im sure the big physique is a turn of for many women, that being said its prob attractive for others. The whole "protector" thing they have engrained on their hind brains since the cave days. But lets be clear here, thes movies were not made for chicks. These were guy flicks all the way.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i think your mom and aunt were probably fibbing.Arnold as ugly as he is, he still had to fight off all that pussy with a stick because of his massive physique. there is that documentary, Bigger Stronger Faster about the muscle guys thinking if they go super extreme they wil be "just like Arnold" and score money and lots of pussy. the reality was that it was just other muscle guys coming up to them wanting to talk about muscles stuff, girls noped out. with Arnold, he only built his muscle for competition, when he went full acting, he toned way down so when he did Commando, he still had massive arms, but it wasnt obscene.

Yeah that was my point, their attention was entirely drawn away from their conversation and then they made excuses about it. If I see a woman on TV I'm not attracted to I don't stop talking mid sentence.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Women generally arent into massive 100% muscle dudes like Arnold. They where into Arnold specifically because he was famous and always had cameras following him.

• 3Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah that was my point, their attention was entirely drawn away from their conversation and then they made excuses about it. If I see a woman on TV I'm not attracted to I don't stop talking mid sentence.
its nothing against small build guys, as Mkopec says , women are just naturally attracted to the bigger muscular men. guys like smaller feminine women, thats just mammal things. women also like money guys for security, even if they are not physically dominant. it still comes down to power.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
its nothing against small build guys, as Mkopec says , women are just naturally attracted to the bigger muscular men. guys like smaller feminine women, thats just mammal things. women also like money guys for security, even if they are not physically dominant. it still comes down to power.

Women respond more strongly to confidence than they do to appearance alone. They like muscular men as long as they aren't muscular to cover up their insecurities. Having big arms isn't going to help any if the guy just comes off as a poser.

• 3Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Muscles and a strong physique trip all kinds of signals to women's hind-brains about good genes and "breeding stock". To pretend otherwise is the machinations of fatboys who don't work out. It's one of the BEST ways to increase your physical attractiveness to women if you're an ugly dude.

It's no different than men typically being more attracted to women with narrower faces and large tits. Is it true in EVERY instance that's what gets the cream going? No, but generally speaking it signals fertility and good genes, just like a strong physique does for women.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Women respond more strongly to confidence than they do to appearance alone. They like muscular men as long as they aren't muscular to cover up their insecurities. Having big arms isn't going to help any if the guy just comes off as a poser.

First sentence is correct, but the rest isn't.

Women are really bad at distinguishing between actual confidence and posers. That's why you see hot chicks with giant losers all the time.

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
best part of commando is the bad guy is a fat old 5'4" man who is wearing a fucking chain link sweater vest knit by his grandma

VGWCOMMANDO-001.png

seriously how fucking high on cocaine was the actor, director, and cinematographer to see that and go "FUCK YEAH THATS BADASS"
Came in to comment that Vernon Wells is taller than that, but the dude is only 5’ 10”.
The better point now is, that being the case, how tall is Arnold? It’s supposedly one of the best kept secrets in Hollywood
A3A66251-3FAC-4AE9-90A1-8E4A643497B5.jpeg

Shit, Wells looks like he’s slouching compared to Arnold who’s standing up straight. On the other hand, Wells could be wearing lifts in his boots.
That scene is analogous to the police shoot out from the first film. If anything, despite no casualties, its even better at showing how dominant the T-800 is at war. No fear, walks out into the open, unleashes hell and it’s opponents have no choice but to take cover. Now imagine waves of them coming at you and you really appreciate what Connor and the rest of humanity fought for.

• 3Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Came in to comment that Vernon Wells is taller than that, but the dude is only 5’ 10”.
The better point now is, that being the case, how tall is Arnold? It’s supposedly one of the best kept secrets in Hollywood
View attachment 420399
Shit, Wells looks like he’s slouching compared to Arnold who’s standing up straight. On the other hand, Wells could be wearing lifts in his boots.

That scene is analogous to the police shoot out from the first film. If anything, despite no casualties, its even better at showing how dominant the T-800 is at war. No fear, walks out into the open, unleashes hell and it’s opponents have no choice but to take cover. Now imagine waves of them coming at you and you really appreciate what Connor and the rest of humanity fought for.
Ferrigno and Arnold side by side. Lou was put at 6'4 or 6'5 when he competed. Not sure why didnt know exactly. So use that as a comparison.

1657048116838.png

1657048160632.png