Trove: Scott's Trion on voxels

Caliane

I think the game actually has an appealing art style considering the scope and size of the team. Yeah, it looks like Cubeworld Minecraft, but it's nice and it'll probably fun to play. I think the pitch video is weak though because their choice of words is basically saying they're breaking new grounds with Trove's development style, but it's damn near identical to the pitch SOE is making with EQNL and EQN. "We think the community can make great things too, so let's work with them. Also, Twitter and Reddit and shit."
i dont know. this game has a clear focus on combat, adventure, and actually having a game. That is why I find this one more interesting, now that its announced. In the same way I like Terraria more then minecraft.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
The onions are too big!
Think of the onions as the cel shading style and you got it exactly.

It's too big.

Big-King-Burger-King.jpg
Sad looking burger that.

It looks like one of those cartoon dogs from the 60's and 70's.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
It's a little too cubist for my taste but really in the end what matters is: A) Can your mind fill in the detail gaps? B) Is it fun? Everything else is kind of a wash. If they have those two things, then Landmark, Defiance, and all of the stuff doesn't matter. I like Scott, and I really enjoyed Rift while I was leveling, so I am more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
i dont know. this game has a clear focus on combat, adventure, and actually having a game. That is why I find this one more interesting, now that its announced. In the same way I like Terraria more then minecraft.
I'm speaking strictly about the tone of the video and the people talking. Overall the games seems like what SOE has planned for EQNL and EQN in one product. I actually don't have an issue with the game itself, even if I don't imagine it being anything more than a distraction for me.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I just realized I fucked up the pun in the thread title and I can't edit it. The "on" isn't supposed to be there. Oh the shame.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Did anyone from Trion ever "come clean" about why RIFT was so disappointing ? That game came pretty close but I just wonder if they know why it didn't quite get there....

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think it was designed to just be too accessible. If that makes any sense. There wasn't a whole of attachment to your character or the world. They also over sold the class system and it felt underwhelming in game. So many little things I could point to... Rifts were pretty bland, not enough dungeons, pvp wasn't anything speical. I don't mean to be overly critcal bc it was a good team and the game was worth it's box price..the irony of it all is the only thing it did great was the patching/server stability/cr stuff. Where every other games lack... The actual game was just ok overall. Nothing really wowed you.. No pun intended;-)

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Did anyone from Trion ever "come clean" about why RIFT was so disappointing ? That game came pretty close but I just wonder if they know why it didn't quite get there....
Are you kidding???
rolleyes.png

Everyone at Trion says they are extremely happy with Rift and how the game turned out. They say that at every chance they get to anyone. Even Hartsman says that all the time and says he's more proud of it now than when he left it. The Rift fans are even more rabid about how it's more successful, better, cancer-curing, and all around wonderful than even WoW is, lol. Hell, three quarters of Rift players will tell you that's why the left WoW in the first place to play Rift.

Personally I think Rift is an average game; nothing worth my time to stick around for because it's a boring atmosphere and typical gameplay with the added benefit of generic models, horrible crafting, poor optimization and laggy in general (good dungeons though if you like to raid though), but most of the Rift people I ever talk to claim they are happy with how 'great' it's doing... this beingafterthe F2P conversion.

The EUers are pissed at Trion big time though because they say they got the hot poker on the gonads.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I think they tried too hard to please too many especially WoW players. Rifts never did anything they really promised from beta or onward. It was just a generic public quest system. Leveling was the same WoW type leveling except more generic. Same with PvP. The classes were watered down. Everything was basically watered down until it did nothing really poorly or well. It just exists.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Out of 20 people that played it with me, none stayed past the 60 days mark and only 6 made it past the free month. I was the only idiot that lasted way longer than that and that's because I'm an altoholic that has to level at least 2-3 classes to max (in a game with 4 it's hardly a challenge to finish them all, but whatever).

Quests were boring, rifts/invasions were nerfed, people disappeared and zones were empty, half the specs were useless, rogues sucked, then rocked, then sucked again and this is true for all classes/specs in a neverending struggle to find the balance point.
It was like WoW without being just as good from a visual and technical point of view: animations were worse, art style was unmemorable, hotbars wre bloated and fully macroable, talent trees galore with specs that after a couple months forced everyone to get the final skill in the tree of choice or suck forever.

I came back to try the F2P version, but couldn't last very long at all: all-in-one macros make for a boring gameplay, no thought at all behind it, so I had to play a mage to limit (with some specs) this effect: still boring.
Too bad because Rift could have been a good game: talent for designing dungeons was there, but it was too much like this or that game and not original enough.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Hahaha, have these mother fuckers ever had an original idea before? They're like blizzard's retarded baby brother who was born with flipper hands.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Rift's dungeons were better than Blizzard at the time, especially their 10 man design team. Their 20 main raids had some really cool concepts but they sucked at tuning them, I mean who wants 10-15 minute fights where one mistake wipes you and you have to do 10 minutes of boring all over again? Their class system got progressively worse as the game aged. They completely didn't get it. Instead of embracing the soul system, they just killed it with more and more vertical progression.

In the end, Rift was very inexpensive to make (from what I know) and they got a very very good return on the investment. Defiance was a flop. End of Nations never saw the light of day. If Trove is game that has a very small team and very little resources devoted to it, it could be a fun game to play for a while. I don't see what the problem is here. The expectation of every game being a blockbuster is silly these days.

We'll see where they go with it. Could be a neat little game to play for some time.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think people just think it's a waste of time. If you're going to copy at least make yours standout above the rest. There are just more appealing minecraft clones in the works.. But again risk/reward is balanced in their favor..

This industry is just way to copycat for me..

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Rift's dungeons were better than Blizzard at the time, especially their 10 man design team. Their 20 main raids had some really cool concepts but they sucked at tuning them, I mean who wants 10-15 minute fights where one mistake wipes you and you have to do 10 minutes of boring all over again? Their class system got progressively worse as the game aged. They completely didn't get it. Instead of embracing the soul system, they just killed it with more and more vertical progression.

In the end, Rift was very inexpensive to make (from what I know) and they got a very very good return on the investment. Defiance was a flop. End of Nations never saw the light of day. If Trove is game that has a very small team and very little resources devoted to it, it could be a fun game to play for a while. I don't see what the problem is here. The expectation of every game being a blockbuster is silly these days.

We'll see where they go with it. Could be a neat little game to play for some time.
The expectation is that developers acknowledge where they went wrong and then do not duplicate the same mistakes... Trion has been a company that copies something and does not innovate.. I have no intention on supporting a company like this... yet if they explained where the RIFT deficiencies were and how they would not do that again and why... I would be interested for sure.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I think people just think it's a waste of time. If you're going to copy at least make yours standout above the rest. There are just more appealing minecraft clones in the works.. But again risk/reward is balanced in their favor..

This industry is just way to copycat for me..
I'm not a minecraft guy, so I'm probably the worst person to comment. From my perspective, this looks like it's adding an extra layer on to minecraft with the whole class system. Also, to play with other people in Minecraft, don't you need to know how to set up a server or find a group of people with one set up already? Does supporting the game from a backend/server point of view add some security/ease of entry on to the game?

What about the supposed class system? Does that add any extra dimensions?

To me the game doesn't seem like any kind of blockbuster game, but it looks like a fun little project. It neither excites me or turns me off.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The expectation is that developers acknowledge where they went wrong and then do not duplicate the same mistakes... Trion has been a company that copies something and does not innovate.. I have no intention on supporting a company like this... yet if they explained where the RIFT deficiencies were and how they would not do that again and why... I would be interested for sure.
They've explained and/or fixed a lot of things people have complained about. From my list of complaints, they only thing I'm not satisfied with is the class system and development path. What hasn't been explained by Trion that you thought they haven't explained to you?