True Detective

khorum

Murder Apologist
The show is even better when you realize it's founded upon one of the original inspirations for h.p. Lovecraft himself: Robert chambers' The king in yellow. Everything in the show from kohle's nihilistic pessimism to all the yellow imagery with the lighting even to the colors of the fonts are informed by chambers' weird fiction anthology.

Lovecraft was so influenced by the king in yellow he referred to the fictional play in his own work:
h.p. Lovecraft_sl said:
Songs that the Hyades shall sing,

Where flap the tatters of the King,

Must die unheard in

Dim Carcosa.

-Cassilda's Song in The King in Yellow, Act I, Scene II
There are direct references to the madness from carcosa in Dora Langes scrapbook in the show:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
yeah, I think you're basically looking for the Recalcitrant post from earlier... htf do you link certain posts?

I'm not sure which aspect you're directly referencing, but I have a link above which was seminal to Lovecraft's work.

This short storyby Bierce was the basis and introduced the city of Carcosa.
Chambers took some of the names/themes from the above story and createdthis anthologycalledThe King in Yellow. The title is a reference to a fictional play, which drove the reader mad upon reading. This play/anthology is referenced directly in the show, in the victim's notebook most explicitly.
Lovecraft similarly referenced Chambers'The King in Yellowforthe Cthulhu Mythos.

A lot of the images in the cinematography correlate with either the Bierce introduction or the Chambers anthology. In the short story, the narrator notices an owl:
rrr_img_57408.jpg

One of the chapters ofThe King in Yellowis called The Yellow Sign, this might be a hint:
rrr_img_57406.jpg

The first verse from a song inKing in Yellowis:

This is a shot from the show:
rrr_img_57405.jpg

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
Maybe i missed it but did anyone see a Tattoo on Reggie Ladoux of the "elder sign" spiral? I thought Dora Lange's boyfriend in prison claimed he had one on his back?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Goddamnit, there are only 3 episodes of Woody and Matt left. I like the concept of new storylines with new characters every season, except I need more Rust. I NEED IT.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Goddamnit, there are only 3 episodes of Woody and Matt left. I like the concept of new storylines with new characters every season, except I need more Rust. I NEED IT.
I don't know how they're going to tie this up in a satisfying way with just 3 more episodes. Rust is the shit. I'm expecting some deep twists for this shit and 3 episodes doesn't seem like enough to pull it off.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I don't see how this show is even worth continuing without these characters.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Have faith in HBO.

Anyway, I'm thinking the governor theory might end up being the right one. Dude in the cell days the yellow king is known by big people.

Zx88_sl

shitlord
Captivating show. Really dreading my decision to watch the show weekly instead of downloading them all at once and being able to watch them in a short sequence. Can't remember the last show where I was left wanting to see the next one so much. And only 3 more episodes... wtf.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Have faith in HBO.

Anyway, I'm thinking the governor theory might end up being the right one. Dude in the cell days the yellow king is known by big people.
i really hope it isnt because you could see it coming a mile away. It would be a very disappointing ending for me.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Captivating show. Really dreading my decision to watch the show weekly instead of downloading them all at once and being able to watch them in a short sequence. Can't remember the last show where I was left wanting to see the next one so much. And only 3 more episodes... wtf.
This is actually one show that I think I like to watch week by week. There's so much in each one that I need time to digest it and think over it. Marathoning it would skip or gloss over so much.

And I feel sorry for whatever schmucks they get for season 2, since the bar has been set pretty damn high.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I don't think they'll have any issues getting A-list talent. I mean, shit, I'd bet money on Matt walking away with the Emmy for Best Actor at this point and we still have 3 episodes to go.

Feien

Ploppers
Fuck! I don't want to wait another week for the next episode.

Since it seems like Marty's daughter was blowing two guys, that type of behavior seems to support the theory that she was either raped or witnessed a rape.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i saw no swirl on Ledoux's back. the two black detectives possibly are setting Rust up to take the fall for that murder so it gets covered up for the "big people" being sloppy and Rust's picture could have been shooped to convince woody to turn on him. on the other hand Rust wasnt helping his cause by talking about flat circles. we pretty much know that Rust was not the killer because we see him investigating stuff on his own. Lawnmower man may still be involved. the slut daughter being fucked up looks like it may tie in somehow.

this turned out to be a great show after the first two episodes being slow.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
we pretty much know that Rust was not the killer because we see him investigating stuff on his own. Lawnmower man may still be involved. the slut daughter being fucked up looks like it may tie in somehow.
Remember the one interviewer asking Rust if he ever blacked out and couldn't remember what had happened? Maybe Rust has a split personality or has convinced himself that he does as a means of escaping that fucked up form of reincarnation he laid out in the interview.