Twitch.tv

Needless

Toe Sucker
I remember that guy. He tried to come back under the alias "Ghost" but everyone figured out that was him. He pretty much fucked himself due to his shitty attitude. Alot of people follow the streamer while others only follow the game. I remember D3's peak there were alot of big streamers who no longer streams like DatModz, Good Idea Gaming (GIG) and Moldran just to name a few.

Lmao thats his name, i was trying to remember the name of the chubby racist kid was. Classic GIG!

Xevy

Log Wizard
One of my crew streamed during D3's RMAH days and he was getting 200-500 viewers at a time and he got partnered with Twitch. Unfortunately this was before Sub's so he never made any money besides commercial revenue from it. He's a lawyer IRL so he stopped streaming because he doesn't need to rely on it for income. He's still partnered with Twitch, but he doesn't have a sub button. I think if he emailed them they'd set him up with one if he ever goes full time streamer mode.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think the YouTubers have a better thing going because they are broader with the social media stuff, take on tons of projects, travel around and network, etc. whereas streamers are pretty much laser-focused but still on a timeline until they have to do something else, more than likely.

Haven't listened to them in months but the Co-optional podcast crew used to occasionally talk about how youtube revenue had been declining for months/years. I can only imagine it's worse now with the youtube revenue crash that happened 2-3 weeks ago. I won't be surprised to see those who hadn't diversified into merchandise start to thin out. It's late but not too late for gaming youtubers to use their youtube base to start twitch streaming. Between advertiser problems and a bad DMCA system it's going to be harder than ever for existing and new gaming youtube channels.

At this point, if you are just starting and want to make it on Twitch, you probably need to go full character mode, a la Dr Disrespect. I don't care how cool a bro you are, you are not going to get anyone's attention just playing games and talking to chat every once in awhile.

I agree. Twitch is already flooded with low effort 'community' streamers. The guys and girls who are boring as fuck to watch but were there on the ground floor so they're basically just chat rooms for people who enjoy each others company and have the streamer as their mascot. The smart ones merchandise, try to up their game and solidify their community because they know they aren't very entertaining. On the flip-side maybe entertainment isn't what a lot of people are looking for. It seems like some of these streams are support groups for bored/lonely people.

But anyway, Dr. Disrespect brought a strong game and is reaping the rewards. Future man gaming tried something similar but his character wasn't as much fun and didn't take him as far. Dr. D also has great production quality for a twitch stream that adds to the entertainment.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Haven't listened to them in months but the Co-optional podcast crew used to occasionally talk about how youtube revenue had been declining for months/years. I can only imagine it's worse now with the youtube revenue crash that happened 2-3 weeks ago. I won't be surprised to see those who hadn't diversified into merchandise start to thin out. It's late but not too late for gaming youtubers to use their youtube base to start twitch streaming. Between advertiser problems and a bad DMCA system it's going to be harder than ever for existing and new gaming youtube channels.

I'm not entirely sure what youtube is thinking. Twitch is poised to buttfuck them in the content creation market with amazon backing them, and i'd assume that's where the real ad revenue is. Twitch has been dipping it's toes in the IRL market for a while now, and it's just going to continue. We may see a digg --> reddit style exodus in the next half decade, which would be fun as fuck to watch.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ad revenue on Twitch still amounts to next to nothing compared to other revenue, at least for streamers. I have to assume that carries on to Twitch itself, as well. Ads just are not financially tenable online for the most part, and with good reason - they're dumb and people don't like them, they at best are unnoticed and at worst are between the consumer and their desired content which almost always casts them in a negative light. Google gets around this with Adsense and such by owning half the internet and being, essentially, the gateway, gatekeeper, and key all in one for the majority of western people.

Personally, I hate Twitch's video browsing/searching entirely, and also they are SUPER aggressive about DMCA stuff. I watch creators like CGP Grey and Prozd on YouTube and YouTube is also my go-to music platform because I can find songs on there I can't find anywhere else online. It's hard to imagine that experience marching over to Twitch, but we'll have to see. Patreon is essentially providing the subscription part of Twitch for YouTubers (or anyone technically) but it doesn't much help YouTube itself in doing so. YouTube (Google) could buy Patreon and implement it into YouTube or just make their own version of it but there's no signs of that being a thing that is underway. Instead I keep getting suggestions on my phone to subscribe to YouTube Red (terrible choice of name) and YouTube Music and I have no idea what the differences are or why I would do either considering I'm still able to use YouTube the way I like without them.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I dunno, I'd imagine the streamers with 5k+ viewers if they run any amount of ads it's a not insignificant amount of revenue for doing nothing. Especially now with things like Subs and Prime counting as views for the ads without watching them.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
From what I understand listening to Dropped Frames, ad's make up a small part of a successful streamers income. Some of them wanted to turn of ads completely because they thought it just drove people away. What twitch has over YouTube is that it makes it easier for the audience to give money directly to the streamer through subs for partners and through tips. Ads are a failing business model right now.

Pewdiepie started a twitch show a few weeks ago and now h3h3 is moving their podcast to twitch.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea, several of the streamers I watch essentially never run ads. Like I said, they generate hardly any money for anyone involved: The advertising company pays as little as possible because they see miniscule ROI, so the company running the ads (Twitch) doesn't get much themselves from running them, the streamers get even less (and ads do drive people away, and people are their biggest source of income by any and all measures), and the actual watchers of ads disregard well over 99% of advertisements they're exposed to and occasionally ads can have a reverse effect than desired.

If ads were worth the trouble, YouTube would be financially in a lot better shape, and broadcast TV shows wouldn't keep getting shorter every year to squeeze in more garbage ads.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
All the streamers talking about the new level for streamers like an associate type deal as a stepping stone to partner or whatever. I wonder how that will work because one stream I watch often has one guy that is partnered and then he has 4 other guys stream on his channel at various times of the time in an effort to make it 24 hours on one channel. They're not moving up to partner doing that I would assume.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Ads are like 1 penny per 1000 viewers per ad. So if you're running an ad every 10 minutes of a 6 hour stream with 10k viewers (elite tier twitch), that's .10 x 6 x 6 = 3.6 bucks a day. That's really, really bad.

Edit: Math x2

Last edited:

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ads are like 1 penny per 1000 viewers per ad. So if you're running an ad every 10 minutes of a 6 hour stream with 10k viewers (elite tier twitch), that's .10 x 6 x 6 = 3.6 bucks a day. That's really, really bad.

Edit: Math x2

Yarp. Even if this math is overly conservative (if anything, it's too generous because adblock), if you running ads every 10 minutes (which is a lot, actually, on Twitch) turns away ONE donation or subscriber, you are losing money. Just going to reiterate that ads are garbage for basically everyone involved for a ton of reasons.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Ads really only make sense during tournament streams via sponsorships.

Yeah, and those ads generally bypass twitch and are run directly through the stream, so twitch sees 0 of those dollars and ad block doesn't stop them. Any IEM stream is a good example of this.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
None of the streams I watch run ads that I'm aware of. Donations and such are the big money makers.

One streamer is hving his trip paid for including airfare and hotel to Vegas so he can stream at CCP Vegas for the eve event. Stream just bought him a $500 chair. He's a full time streamer on someone elses account as a full time stay at home dad. He streams in the day U.S. time which is works out for me but a lot of the people who donate are UK or Australian time.

That's on a chennel with 150ish average viewers at a time and <300 subs on the entire channel that runs almost 24 hours a day.

Last edited: