Vikings

Godric_sl

shitlord
I loved the Ragnarok scene, 'get the leaf.' are there accounts of the Vikings getting stoned? I always assumed they were a drinking culture but I guess herbal inducement is a global phenomenon.. Floki has definitely blazed a few..

Chrisd_sl

shitlord
The Jarl doesn't make much sense. He seems to fear Ragnor taking his place, yet Ragnor hasn't really shown any desire to lead, he's just an adventurer and the tension comes from the Jarl getting in his way. And part of the Jarl's motivation seems to be treasure hoarding for the afterlife, so you'd think he'd be looking to empower Ragnor so that he can profit from his success rather than holding him back.

I struggle to believe the Viking culture would suffer the slimy henchman, even with the backing of the Jarl that guy looks like someone would just stomp him and no-one would give a shit.
They kindly addressed two of the things bugging me this episode, I should have had more faith. Felt too clean how they swap out the Jarl for Rollo as the antagonist character all within about 30mins. Doesn't really matter, show is awesome.

Godric_sl

shitlord
The villians in this show are a little too one dimensional for me, first he evil JARL who steals from his men and is greedy for no reason, and now the English King who is an evil heartless fat king, Like could it get any more Clich??
It would be difficult for Ragnar to be the hero if the Jarl was the arbiter of wise jurisprudence, mercy, and benevolence.

If you look at the Kings of Northumbria in the period it wasn't exactly a stable country politically. They had a new king every few years... Not the sort of place that breeds kind or inspiring leadership.

That was pretty great and loved how they handled it, like putting a hatchet in to a slab of meat. No cartoony shit.
The guy stood there and was like "Oh, that's probably going to be fatal..." *Falls over*

Godric_sl

shitlord
i took rollo's words to mean that he isnt going to betray ragnar, hes going to take his place as Jarl once ragnar leaves to plunder the west. i did have one question though. when they had ragnarok, did everyone see that vision, or just the priest?
Shared visions would be pushing it a bit, a bit too 'fantasy' for this show. But I guess they all had their own visions on the same theme...

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
thanks, i wasnt sure if that was what they were all seeing. because that house of the undying dude also appeared in the Jarl's visions and the priest isnt familar with the vikings culture so i dunno if he would see something he never heard of.

Godric_sl

shitlord
So, I'm curious just as how much is this realistic, The landscape...it's supposed to be Denmark, right? Isn't it kinda...mountainous for it?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
It's filmed in Ireland.

As far as Denmark does, it has large hills much like the show does, I don't ever recall seeing mountains or anything much more then this, which is on the coastline of Denmark. At any rate it's close enough to not really warrant nit picking imo.

rrr_img_20247.jpg
rrr_img_20248.jpg

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Some of the stuff we saw was people prancing around. I didn't get the feeling that anyone was having visions, that's probably just the images the words were supposed to conjure up (things like the eclipse) that everyone was seeing in their own minds.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Gotta love a show that kills off the asshole in the first five minutes of the episode and doesn't make you wait the whole hour to actually see the fight. Didn't see Sigi stabbing the Swede, that was pretty cool. Rollo is way too dumb to ever usurp Ragnar, but Ragnar is way too trusting to let Rollo usurp him.

Just because the King of Northumbria (that's the correct country?) is a heartless bastard doesn't mean he isn't intelligent. I see potential for a better villain than the Jarl.

Noahx

N00b
I'm loving this show. The intro music gets me pumped every time. Im not a huge "ireland/viking/scottish" dood but this is close enough to Roman like mythology and gore, I dig it.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Sure looked to me like rollo was planning a coup. But maybe there's some bit of ancient swedish politics I'm unaware of.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
its a fakeout. gotta be, rollo already had his chance to betray his brother, a few times now. why bother backstabbing his jarl role which is only a small title at best. ragnar is poised to conquer all of brittania.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I don't think he's poised to conquer england. I don't know if he actually did in RL, but just from what we see here, the vikings are raiders, not conquerors. Maybe he's got his sights set on king of sweeden or something? I know he was a swedish king IRL, but they haven't even mentioned that a king exists in the show.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
For those complaining about poisonous snakes in england:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipera_berus

They do exist, and enough bites from it would likely kill you.

Ragnar's brother Rollo became the first duke of Normandy. I also found it annoying that they are already showing the pit of vipers, when I hope it's a couple seasons at least before Ragnar ends up in it.

Gask

Silver Baron of the Realm
For those complaining about poisonous snakes in england:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipera_berus

They do exist, and enough bites from it would likely kill you.
The complaining/mocking had more to do with the fact that there were clearly mostly pythons and other harmless snakes in those shots doing the "killing". It was funny and a bit bewildering
wink.png

Anyway I'm looking forward to next episode and yes the intro sequence is great.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
it would be easier to be upset at the show for the snakes if they were the first ones to do it. There are certain things movie / tvshow makers either don't know about, or don't give a damn about. The fact that all snakes don't look alike is one of those things. It's right up there with the cause, and effects of most explosions.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Lol gotta love the fucking history channel. A recent episode of ancient aliens is chronicling the events in Vikings with one small difference, ancient aliens were working with ragnar to conquer n humbria.