WDTV/ Roku Streamers

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'm not using mine for Live TV at all, just NAS for TV Shows, Movies, Music.... but issue I'm currently having is that the "cover flow" or Showcase, whatever you want to call it in Nox skin is just very laggy. Scrolling through the covers creates duplicates until I stop scrolling and everything loads. A few other lag issues here and there, but I'm scanning like 200 TV shows and 300 or so movies, etc... Should I have the NAS set up as a Windows (SMB) share? Currently the NAS is a SMB, should it be NFS or something else? Always wondered this but it was my first NAS and just kind of picked one.

*edit: wow, TV show organization is awesome, so much nicer than Boxee or WD TV

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Nox can take a lot of hardware resources, you might try the standard skin to see if it lags.

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So WMC is way better for live TV just FYI. Everything working perfectly on my desktop PC. setting up the nuc now....FUCK this thing is small!

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So WMC is way better for live TV just FYI. Everything working perfectly on my desktop PC. setting up the nuc now....FUCK this thing is small!
With a TV tuner and DVR yes.

If you aren't doing DVR and using something like a Homerun then XBMC is fine.

Moonball

Lord Nagafen Raider
I may try the Boxee, then. My house is wired with cat6, so no worries streaming 1080p. I have Apple Tv's all over the house, so I've been downloading mkv's from newsgroups and converting them to mp4's that I can stream through iTunes. It takes so damn long to convert the huge 1080p files that it has made me look for something that doesn't require doing that.
I was using Handbrake to convert stuff to mkv or m4p and took hours. I switched to using DVDFab which uses CUDA if you have a gForce graphics card and the encoding only takes about 30min now.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Hah, this isn't even my question, but I feel the need to clarify since no one is answering it the way he means it. Let me see if I can explain it better. My apologies if it sounds like I'm being overly simplistic, but it is obvious no one else caught what he wants.

He is going to use the Logitech bluetooth keyboard/mouse device to control his HTPC. That is all that device emits, a bluetooth signal.

He would like to be able to ALSO control the volume on his TV via that bluetooth device. The TV only receives IR signals.

Therefore, we need something on the HTPC that will interpret the BLUETOOTH signal from his Logitech, understand that it is meant for the TV, and send an IR signal out.

The device you linked is an IR receiver, which would allow someone to use an IR remote with the HTPC, obviously. It won't EMIT an IR signal (*I'm wrong, see edit), only receive one. He needs to emit one. He also needs some sort of program to interact with his HTPC to decide when to emit that signal.

I am not aware of any such solution. But that is his question, not how to get an IR remote to work with the HTPC. He's basically asking if there is any way he can avoid picking up a second remote to change the volume on his TV.

EDIT: As I posted, Zodiac posted as well, and understands the question correctly now. Of course, I could be the one not understanding correctly, but I think I get what he wanted.

Further EDIT: My apologies to BrutulTM. That is in fact an emitter as well as a receiver, so I misspoke. However, it still doesn't receive bluetooth so won't do what he wants. But it is in fact an emitter, so I just wanted to clarify that point.
If you are using Windows Media Center you can control your devices using only bluetooth as long as your computer has bluetooth or you have a bluetooth dongle. WMC can change channels on your cable box etc. although frankly it's easier to use an IR remote like the one included with the device I linked, you can do anything you want with the bluetooth mouse and keyboard. IR blasters leave a lot to be desired though, since IR is fundamentally a 1-way communication protocol there is no feedback to tell the computer that the device actually did what it told it to and you can get things out of sync if you are also using a remote. It's kind of a shit show really. I had it all set up at one point but I actually never bothered redoing the setup when I changed cable boxes because it was just more trouble than it was worth.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Finally got my hard drive in yesterday and set it up last night. Couple of stumbling blocks, one of which is that it wouldn't see my NAS on the network. Turning everything off and then back on fixed that at least, but pretty annoying to bang my head against the wall for awhile trying other shit. Windows 8 also won't validate, I'm guessing because I bought that cheap upgrade deal and then installed it on a fresh computer without installing 7 first to give it a legit upgrade path. Might try calling them to see if I can convince them to just let it validate, but if it doesn't not sure what I'll do. Never pirated Windows before, but this box won't be used for anything else really where a legit version is necessary. Not going to fuck around with Linux and shit because I have no clue what I'm doing there.

It also ran SUPER hot out of the box. I had read about that previously though and was able to go into the BIOS and set the minimum temperature down to 40 degrees C, as opposed to 78 that it was set at. That made a big difference and now I can actually hear the fan running if I listen closely, whereas before I doubt it was doing much.

Still using a mouse and keyboard to control it until I get my flirc dongle, but aside from that I'm loving it. Trying out the Nox skin to see what I like best, so far it is pretty cool but I sort of like the standard skin too. I had a bit of a stuttering issue right off, but I think it was because it was scraping all of my files. Once that was done it has been smooth as butter playing a few files.

I also fairly easily figured out how to guide it towards finding the right info for a show. Like Castle, it came up with some 2003 series and didn't recognize any of the episodes I had, but quickly I was able to select "Castle (2009)" instead, and bam, it identified everything instantly. It also seems to have identified almost all of my movies correctly right off the bat, at least at a cursory glance.

Is there any spot where it shows files it had trouble with? Or does it just attempt to identify everything and you just have to check it to make sure it is correct?

Really happy with this thing already, once I get everything squared away it should be pretty damn effortless in day-to-day use I think.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
It attempts everything and you fix it.

If your stuff is named properly it will never have an issue really. Look into Ember media manager to fix your current folders up real nice. I use SickBeard to manage my shows and couchpotato to do my movies and it rarely doesn't find the correct metadata.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
It attempts everything and you fix it.

If your stuff is named properly it will never have an issue really. Look into Ember media manager to fix your current folders up real nice. I use SickBeard to manage my shows and couchpotato to do my movies and it rarely doesn't find the correct metadata.
I torrent the vast majority of my content so unless I re-point every torrent that wouldn't work very well for seeding. And it is only really a concern for movies, my shows I actually do point to a specific folder for each series so once it realizes what that folder is for (like Castle), it seems that it adds new episodes just fine. It looks like it did everything right at first glance anyway (pirates are typically very good about naming conventions as I'm sure you know).

I just wondered if it did like Boxee where you can actually choose to see the files it didn't know what to do with and manually point them. But if it just does its best with everything, that's good enough for me. I saw the "Recently Added" choice so I can just quickly check if the latest stuff worked properly every so often.

And to reiterate what Intrinsic said, the handling of TV shows is WAY better than anything else I've ever used. Boxee was pretty good, but this is just awesome.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I torrent the vast majority of my content so unless I re-point every torrent that wouldn't work very well for seeding. And it is only really a concern for movies, my shows I actually do point to a specific folder for each series so once it realizes what that folder is for (like Castle), it seems that it adds new episodes just fine. It looks like it did everything right at first glance anyway (pirates are typically very good about naming conventions as I'm sure you know).

I just wondered if it did like Boxee where you can actually choose to see the files it didn't know what to do with and manually point them. But if it just does its best with everything, that's good enough for me. I saw the "Recently Added" choice so I can just quickly check if the latest stuff worked properly every so often.

And to reiterate what Intrinsic said, the handling of TV shows is WAY better than anything else I've ever used. Boxee was pretty good, but this is just awesome.
Get a seedbox so your media can be organize imo
biggrin.png

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Get a seedbox so your media can be organize imo
biggrin.png
Pfft, I don't need some piddly capacity seedbox! I get enough upload just leaving my computer on 24/7 without really trying.

I get your point though, but other than a movie being under the folder "Debbie Does Dallas" it might be under "Debbie.Does.Dallas.1978(?).720p-SceneGroup" instead. I can live with that, particularly since XBMC seems to have no trouble finding the correct info for it and I won't ever need to go to the file structure once it does.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just wondered if it did like Boxee where you can actually choose to see the files it didn't know what to do with and manually point them.
To see folders for TV it's something like select the "..." then "files" etc

I can't remember the exact steps but you can browse your shares for sure, if you don't figure it out I can check when I get home.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
To see folders for TV it's something like select the "..." then "files" etc

I can't remember the exact steps but you can browse your shares for sure, if you don't figure it out I can check when I get home.
Oh I'm good for that, that isn't a problem. I meant, after it scraped all of my files, the Boxee would admit that it didn't know wtf to do with certain files, so it would lump them all into a category you could access and manually update each one. It didn't move them or anything, it just sort of tagged them as unknown, and you could choose to look at all the unknowns together instead of trying to just guess which ones they were.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah XBMC won't ever admit it's wrong. It will give you what it finds and you then make sure it all matches.

One caveat, some stuff it will find nothing for. If that is the case you will just see a random screen grab from the video file. I have literally only one movie which is some kid movie for the daughter that doesn't have a cover on IMDB so it doesn't have a cover on XBMC.

Moonball

Lord Nagafen Raider
Windows 8 also won't validate, I'm guessing because I bought that cheap upgrade deal and then installed it on a fresh computer without installing 7 first to give it a legit upgrade path. Might try calling them to see if I can convince them to just let it validate, but if it doesn't not sure what I'll do.
Might try this to try and fix the fresh install win8 issue.

If you do a clean install using the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant, you should be fine-but if you've already formatted your drive or you're moving to a new drive, you can't do a "clean install" without installing an old version of Windows first. It'll let you install Windows 8 cleanly, but when you go to activate, you get an error 0x8007007B, saying your product key can only be used for upgrading.
If you get that error, here's how to fix it:

1. Press the Windows key and type regedit. Press enter to open the Registry Editor.
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/ and double-click on the MediabootInstall key in the right pane.
3. Change the key's value from 1 to 0.
4. Exit the Registry Editor, press the Windows key again, and type cmd. Right-click on the Command Prompt icon and run it as an administrator.
5. Type slmgr /rearm and press Enter.
6. Reboot Windows.

When you get back into Windows, you should be able to run the Activation utility and activate Windows as normal, without getting an error. Obviously, you could use this trick for evil, but it has its legitimate place too-if, say, you're upgrading your hard drive and want to do a fresh install on it, or if you formatted your drive before upgrading.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Might try this to try and fix the fresh install win8 issue.

If you do a clean install using the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant, you should be fine-but if you've already formatted your drive or you're moving to a new drive, you can't do a "clean install" without installing an old version of Windows first. It'll let you install Windows 8 cleanly, but when you go to activate, you get an error 0x8007007B, saying your product key can only be used for upgrading.
If you get that error, here's how to fix it:

1. Press the Windows key and type regedit. Press enter to open the Registry Editor.
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/ and double-click on the MediabootInstall key in the right pane.
3. Change the key's value from 1 to 0.
4. Exit the Registry Editor, press the Windows key again, and type cmd. Right-click on the Command Prompt icon and run it as an administrator.
5. Type slmgr /rearm and press Enter.
6. Reboot Windows.

When you get back into Windows, you should be able to run the Activation utility and activate Windows as normal, without getting an error. Obviously, you could use this trick for evil, but it has its legitimate place too-if, say, you're upgrading your hard drive and want to do a fresh install on it, or if you formatted your drive before upgrading.
I'm at work so can't try that yet, but if it does, I could kiss you! But only if you're female, or at least a passable tranny to where I could get offended and say I was tricked.

I had googled a little bit (not much) and hadn't had much luck, so assuming this works, thanks a ton for posting it and saving me some trouble. I'll report back later tonight after I try it.