We the People.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
Again, uber is funding that because they know the payoff will enable their future business plans and increase profits. The vast majority of research funding for universities does not come from private companies.

Exactly because a vast majority of your research really isn't necessary. You are just narcissistic in your belief that you are changing the world.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Exactly because a vast majority of your research really isn't necessary. You are just narcissistic in your belief that you are changing the world.
Not to sound incredibly insulting (ok I kind of do), but this sounds like someone that has absolutely zero idea of what actually happens at a University.

How about you give us all some examples of University research that "really isn't necessary".

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Guys, guys. Expanding our basic understanding of scientific fields is useless. Completely not required for any advanced development. A bar tender told me this. It is known.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Why are you assuming that we think we're changing the world? Why can't we just be nerds who enjoy doing cool new stuff and found a way to monetize it?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Why are you assuming that we think we're changing the world? Why can't we just be nerds who enjoy doing cool new stuff and found a way to monetize it?
Not even that. Can't we just do cool things and realize they have a completely different application by happenchance that can be monetized?

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
Not even that. Can't we just do cool things and realize they have a completely different application by happenchance that can be monetized?

Because the work you do, which you said is just cool and basic exists as a job solely because we have the financial capital to fund your "fun nerd job". It's all fine and good except your funding is just the same government largesse you all complain about with entitlement programs. I would venture to say that all those people living on welfare believe that money is warranted as well. Your opinion is suddenly more valid why? Because of your education?

Nope not buying it, you guys over emphasize the need for your spending while shitting all over the entitlement spending for other peoples bullshit. Practicality rules all and your time living off economically unviable government spending will go the way of the dodo same as welfare.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
This thread can be summed up

94df0edafb0a03a839fb4ac8ca5ae393.jpg

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Because the work you do, which you said is just cool and basic exists as a job solely because we have the financial capital to fund your "fun nerd job". It's all fine and good except your funding is just the same government largesse you all complain about with entitlement programs. I would venture to say that all those people living on welfare believe that money is warranted as well. Your opinion is suddenly more valid why? Because of your education?

Nope not buying it, you guys over emphasize the need for your spending while shitting all over the entitlement spending for other peoples bullshit. Practicality rules all and your time living off economically unviable government spending will go the way of the dodo same as welfare.
I never claimed what you just said. I will openly admit the field I am in is a complete waste of money, with much of the developments never seeing the light of day or use.

Edit - What you do is useless. Contributes far less, possibly is even detrimental to society.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Yeah except that whole apparatus is there to expand the military first so it's extremely inefficient for the civilian population.
We seem to be talking about different things. Most of the research budget goes to NIH, and a little to DOE. Neither does military research. Thats DOD -- defense spending.

• 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Basic research is absolutely necessary.

Exactly. Sometimes you have to ask some really basic questions again from time to time as our understanding of how things works improves and find out if we were right or if some of our previous assumptions were incorrect. Basic research even into some things that if you just read a synopsis sound foolish can lead to important discoveries. One thing we are also lacking these days is more retesting and replication studies. In the publish or perish research mode we have now there is disincentive for other scientists to check each others work. There needs to be more funding for that kind of thing so people can have better confidence that what people think they found is actually true.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Nope not buying it, you guys over emphasize the need for your spending while shitting all over the entitlement spending for other peoples bullshit.
As someone who apparently wants to end funding for research, explain to me why we cant afford to decrease SS, Medicare, and Defense each by 1% in order to DOUBLE the research budget. We dont have to eliminate any programs, just tinker around the edges of budgets, to turn the US into a global research powerhouse in a single budget cycle.

One percent. You sincerely think research isnt worth spending 1% of defense spending on?

Fuck, we could eliminate military marching bands ALONE and make a sizable increase in research spending. Fucking marching bands -- we actually in 2016 spend money on that shit, while dramatically underspending on research, And youre defending it. I'd like to hear your specific response to the one percent proposal.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
As someone who apparently wants to end funding for research, explain to me why we cant afford to decrease SS, Medicare, and Defense each by 1% in order to DOUBLE the research budget. We dont have to eliminate any programs, just tinker around the edges of budgets, to turn the US into a global research powerhouse in a single budget cycle.

One percent. You sincerely think research isnt worth spending 1% of defense spending on?

Fuck, we could eliminate military marching bands ALONE and make a sizable increase in research spending. Fucking marching bands -- we actually in 2016 spend money on that shit, while dramatically underspending on research, And youre defending it. I'd like to hear your specific response to the one percent proposal.
Titan_Atlas Titan_Atlas is increasingly appearing to be one of Cad's cretins.