Weather

Heian

Molten Core Raider
Last big one to hit Florida was 11 years ago, the one before 13 years, the other 23 years... (I quickly checked number and I might be a bit wrong.)

Next one might be in 7 years then 3 and eventually a few every year...

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
No way we ever see a 914mb again imo. Shame while it was out and strong it didn't nail 190+ to top that record. I think it has broke about every other one.

Camille was 48 years ago, Allen was 37 years ago, Gilbert was 28 years ago, Mitch was 19 years ago, Ivan was 13 years ago, Rita was 12 years ago, Wilma was 12 years ago, Dean was 10 years ago.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wonder how many are crazy enough to just stay in the Keys/Miami/etc and try to ride it out? Even my friends in Tampa are shuttering their windows and shit.

There are some people in the keys that will never leave. I have a few personal friends that are sticking.

Mostly it is a ghost town of a county right now though.

• 2Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Camille was 48 years ago, Allen was 37 years ago, Gilbert was 28 years ago, Mitch was 19 years ago, Ivan was 13 years ago, Rita was 12 years ago, Wilma was 12 years ago, Dean was 10 years ago.
According to Lumi though we won't make it 7 more years to see it again. I know I won't. Checkmate

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
There are some people in the keys that will never leave. I have a few personal friends that are sticking.

if you have a 2 or 3 story concrete home with metal shutters for the windows, then you should be ok in just about any hurricane, right?

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U

Hopefully there is a good structure there for them to stay in. Having a cat 5 building high enough to survive surge is possible, just not common.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
if you have a 2 or 3 story concrete home with metal shutters for the windows, then you should be ok in just about any hurricane, right?

You'll be 100% safe until the point where your not.

ole or soy said something like "i can build you a hurricane proof house that's guaranteed at least until a hurricane knocks it down"

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean we're basically talking about a hardened military bunker at that point. I would imagine it could withstand any speed of wind that nature can realistically produce, the real threat would probably be the storm surge.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
You'll be 100% safe until the point where your not.

ole or soy said something like "i can build you a hurricane proof house that's guaranteed at least until a hurricane knocks it down"
That was me and it is true. Even if you follow spec and do everything right. You can't account for cars and trees slamming into it or a surge pushing houses into it or 280 mph tornadoes spawned on it.
Most of the places I've seen them brag as cat 5 houses are just 6-12 inch concrete dome shaped to basically give the wind less surface to push on. It's have to be a fortress before I felt safe in it, maybe even a watertight room with it's own air supply.

Funny thing, when Eduoard of whatever the fuck it's name was came in Daytona in 2002 as I sat on the balcony, we had asked the front desk about the doors/windows which looked new. Oh no no, he said, cat 3+ rated. While I sat on the balcony( 50-60 mph winds ) the door came off the track and fell to the floor inside. It was even closed.

• 2Like

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
My house is hurricane proof cause it's in the middle of the desert surrounded by mountains.

• 7Worf
  • 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 10 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

The current meme for those Floridans that just won't listen to advice to evacuate.

• 1Worf

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
That was me and it is true. Even if you follow spec and do everything right. You can't account for cars and trees slamming into it or a surge pushing houses into it or 280 mph tornadoes spawned on it.
Most of the places I've seen them brag as cat 5 houses are just 6-12 inch concrete dome shaped to basically give the wind less surface to push on. It's have to be a fortress before I felt safe in it, maybe even a watertight room with it's own air supply.

Funny thing, when Eduoard of whatever the fuck it's name was came in Daytona in 2002 as I sat on the balcony, we had asked the front desk about the doors/windows which looked new. Oh no no, he said, cat 3+ rated. While I sat on the balcony( 50-60 mph winds ) the door came off the track and fell to the floor inside. It was even closed.

The real problem with building something that is whatever-proof is that you're basically daring Mother Nature to throw down.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Last big one by my house (Detroit suburbs) was the remnants of the one that hit jersey a couple of years back. We got like 50-70 mph winds for a day.

• 1Like

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
welp.jpg

Yeaaaaah.

• 1Like