Weather

Leto Eu`Acumen

Peasant
Thanks guys.

LIke I said, I don't want to say where I live, but it seems relevant. Technically I live on an island. It doesn't really feel like an island when you are on it, but it is. One of Florida's barrier islands. That would explain why folk locally are shitting their collective britches about the storm surge/waves.....as opposed to the usual Florida blasé attitude about hurricanes heh.

Also the fact that we have pets to account for makes it considerably more difficult to find a hotel that is pet friendly, as opposed to just one that has any ol room available. I'm not happy about the prospect of traveling with miserable animals, but I can't really fault folk for not wanting to leave their pets behind.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Thanks guys.

LIke I said, I don't want to say where I live, but it seems relevant. Technically I live on an island. It doesn't really feel like an island when you are on it, but it is. One of Florida's barrier islands. That would explain why folk locally are shitting their collective britches about the storm surge/waves.....as opposed to the usual Florida blasé attitude about hurricanes heh.

Also the fact that we have pets to account for makes it considerably more difficult to find a hotel that is pet friendly, as opposed to just one that has any ol room available. I'm not happy about the prospect of traveling with miserable animals, but I can't really fault folk for not wanting to leave their pets behind.
Why are you so reluctant to tell us what city you live in?

Fadaar

That guy
I don't want to say where I'm at exactly. Mandatory Evacuations already announced. Local gas stations are out of gas, hotels west of here for a while are booked up. My sister lives 5 minutes from here, so we are packing up her kids, and the pets and driving west tomorrow.

I live super close to the ocean right where the wave/surge activity is supposed to be the worst, so a little bit spooked about this one. Not because of the wind and rain, but because of the ocean o_O It seriously wouldn't take much. Anyways....today I'm doing mundane stuff like Laundry so at least I have clean clothes for a few days heh.

I'm 100% sure me and mine are going to be safe.....I have no idea about our homes though. Locally at least, this one could be kinda bad. Predicted to be the worst in over half a century here. Even if it stays off the coast, it's going to be close enough that the folks living this close to the ocean are in for a world of hurt.

I know they just announced mandatory evacuation for Tybee Island (island east of Savannah, GA) that starts tomorrow at 0800 and recommended evac for the rest of the inland areas that are high risk flood zones. I'm west of I-95 so I should be fine but not looking forward to it. Gonna be ugly if it comes close to the Savannah area, supposedly gonna time up with high tide too.

Leto Eu`Acumen

Peasant
Why are you so reluctant to tell us what city you live in?

Same reason I don't use my real name online. Maybe I'm too old school for the internet nowadays where everyone is comfortable putting their business out in the open.

You can already narrow it down to a fairly small area... Not going to post here what street I live on either. :p A little surprised anybody from this community would take issue with it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Same reason I don't use my real name online. Maybe I'm too old school for the internet nowadays where everyone is comfortable putting their business out in the open.

You can already narrow it down to a fairly small area... Not going to post here what street I live on either. :p A little surprised anybody from this community would take issue with it.
you brought it up unsolicited a few times. if you tell people "dont stare at my bald spot" repeatedly, guess what those people are going to do?

Leto Eu`Acumen

Peasant
I know they just announced mandatory evacuation for Tybee Island (island east of Savannah, GA) that starts tomorrow at 0800 and recommended evac for the rest of the inland areas that are high risk flood zones. I'm west of I-95 so I should be fine but not looking forward to it. Gonna be ugly if it comes close to the Savannah area, supposedly gonna time up with high tide too.

you brought it up unsolicited a few times. if you tell people "dont stare at my bald spot" repeatedly, guess what those people are going to do?

Fine, you guys are killin' me.

Anastasia Island. Best place I've ever lived.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yes, it will be nice and clean after the hurricane.

• 2Like

Leto Eu`Acumen

Peasant
never heard of it, is it a vacation spot?

It's a historical spot. The Fountain of Youth is here (seriously) lol

Went to St. Augustine last year but didn't go out to the island. Nice place. I love the beach and historical shit so it was a pretty nice spot to me. Why don't you just hide out in one of the forts bro?

Mario knows.

Some of the places here are more than 450+ years old. I think the old fort is that old. You hear Saint Augustine mentioned in the show Black Sails from time to time.....one of the earlier colonies. The Fountain of Youth and Ponce de Leon stuff dates back to the early 1500's.

There is a strip along the beach with resort hotels and whatnot, so it definitely gets it's share of vacationers, but for the most part it's locals. Best part about the A1A strip are the restaurants and the bikinis o_O I think most people here would be pissed to be associated with Jacksonville in any way LOL.

Being a historical spot, they take some things seriously - for whatever reason, Saint Augustine loves it's fireworks, so it always puts on a huge fireworks show every 4th of July - last year was the 450th anniversary, so they went over the top with it....had a quarter million people crowding in for that one. They always do a New Years fireworks show on the beach too.....well the festivities are on the beach, the fireworks are set off over the water. I can watch those without even leaving my place LOL.

Seriously though, it is probably one of the nicer places in Florida. I really do like it here better than any other place I've ever lived.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity