Weather

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
It's a historical spot. The Fountain of Youth is here (seriously) lol

Mario knows.

Some of the places here are more than 450+ years old. I think the old fort is that old. You hear Saint Augustine mentioned in the show Black Sails from time to time.....one of the earlier colonies. The Fountain of Youth and Ponce de Leon stuff dates back to the early 1500's.

There is a strip along the beach with resort hotels and whatnot, so it definitely gets it's share of vacationers, but for the most part it's locals. Best part about the A1A strip are the restaurants and the bikinis o_O I think most people here would be pissed to be associated with Jacksonville in any way LOL.

Being a historical spot, they take some things seriously - for whatever reason, Saint Augustine loves it's fireworks, so it always puts on a huge fireworks show every 4th of July - last year was the 450th anniversary, so they went over the top with it....had a quarter million people crowding in for that one. They always do a New Years fireworks show on the beach too.....well the festivities are on the beach, the fireworks are set off over the water. I can watch those without even leaving my place LOL.

Seriously though, it is probably one of the nicer places in Florida. I really do like it here better than any other place I've ever lived.
The A1A is a really nice drive. Strolling around the historic district is a nice way to spend the afternoon too. I didn't even know you could live on Anastasia, I was under the impression the whole thing was a state park but I guess that's just a portion of it. Hope your shit is ok bro. I'd like to go back there one day.

Leto Eu`Acumen

Peasant
The A1A is a really nice drive. Strolling around the historic district is a nice way to spend the afternoon too. I didn't even know you could live on Anastasia, I was under the impression the whole thing was a state park but I guess that's just a portion of it. Hope your shit is ok bro. I'd like to go back there one day.

The top 3rd of the island or so is State Park. Below that, maybe half (or a bit less) of it is uninhabited....closer to marsh land than solid ground. The rest of it though is populated by locals. The locals here really resist any notions of expansion. They don't want to change the character of the place. If you are not already here, it can be pretty difficult to get in. When I moved down here, I stayed with my sister and brother-in-law for 3.5 months before getting into the apartment I'm in now. Practically a waiting list to live here heh.

Most of it isn't really exclusive in terms of price, just availability. (seriously defies the laws of supply and demand somehow - can't find a place at all for a while, then when one opens up, costs are downright decent for the most part.)

Edit: Anyways, I'm out....got a place in Orlando to stay for a few days. Leaving here in just a bit. Party on Folks.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Fadaar

That guy
My parents live in Jacksonville now and we went down to St. Augustine for 4th of July this year, was definitely worth it.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
The top 3rd of the island or so is State Park. Below that, maybe half (or a bit less) of it is uninhabited....closer to marsh land than solid ground. The rest of it though is populated by locals. The locals here really resist any notions of expansion. They don't want to change the character of the place. If you are not already here, it can be pretty difficult to get in. When I moved down here, I stayed with my sister and brother-in-law for 3.5 months before getting into the apartment I'm in now. Practically a waiting list to live here heh.

Most of it isn't really exclusive in terms of price, just availability. (seriously defies the laws of supply and demand somehow - can't find a place at all for a while, then when one opens up, costs are downright decent for the most part.)

Edit: Anyways, I'm out....got a place in Orlando to stay for a few days. Leaving here in just a bit. Party on Folks.

I'm in Kissimmee now, was in Orlando for 2004 when our shit got collectively pushed in by Charles/Francis/Jean. This will be the worst storm to come by since then, but since the eye wall is going to most likely(maybe?) stay off the coast, it won't be so bad 45 miles inland. Most everyone here is expecting to lose power for a few days at least though, that much is certain. There are, unsurprisingly, quite a few of us here who live in Florida.

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm riding it out in Jupiter. Lots of people don't seem to be taking this one serious around here. Maybe it's because it's been 12 years since we had our last one, maybe it because they are new to the area, or maybe they just forgot how bad it can be. It looks like it's going to pass us to the east and just hit us with 14 hours of tropical storm winds, but if it turns into us, things are gonna suck for those that didn't prepare.

Yesterday at Home Depot people were buying sheets of hardboard to put up. That cheap stuff that dissolves in water that is on the back of your Ikea entertainment center isn't gonna do shit if there is any kinds of wind or rain.

• 1Solidarity

Oldbased

> Than U
I've been there. Good luck man, a lot of that area doesn't seem to be capable of handling more than 6-9 feet unless they have done some serious beef up since 2004. Hope you come out with minimal damage Leto.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
This an accurate portrayal?

l2Sq66NZKI8wSAfiE.gif

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
The forecast for this storm is getting heinous. Good luck Florida board bros, I hope your family/friends all pull through, and secondarily that your stuff gets minimally impacted. The storm surge is supposed to be potentially stupid. Gerbil save some lives, I highly doubt you are gonna be sitting on your hands for this one.

Weather Channel is just flat Matthew coverage now.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Good luck to Florida bros for sure. We are set to be landing in Orlando next Friday for a long weekend trip to Sea World and Universal. I think it may be a rainy visit... with Matthew looping back around and all.

Fadaar

That guy
I'm in Kissimmee now, was in Orlando for 2004 when our shit got collectively pushed in by Charles/Francis/Jean. This will be the worst storm to come by since then, but since the eye wall is going to most likely(maybe?) stay off the coast, it won't be so bad 45 miles inland. Most everyone here is expecting to lose power for a few days at least though, that much is certain. There are, unsurprisingly, quite a few of us here who live in Florida.

My first semester at UCF was summer 2004. I remember when summer semester ended I headed back home (Tampa) for the two week break before fall started and Charley hit during that time, came back to campus and it was all fuckered up. Not looking forward to this one being in Savannah now but I'm nearly 25 miles from the coast (just west of I-95) so flooding shouldn't be a concern. More worried about the power being knocked out and roads being shitty. Still debating if I want to head to Atlanta and shack up with a friend for a few days.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Whenever a big hurricane is in the forecast, are you guys all rooting for the hurricane to do as much damage as.possible or is that just me?

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Near Orlando bout 30 mins from the coast, had some crazy rain a lil while ago, it must have been the outer bands. Everyone was trying to stock up on water and ice, i was just happy the beer was still there.

• 1Solidarity

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Florida athletic director stepped in it, said come hell or high water the game would be in Gainesville Saturday and they have a roof duh.