Weight Loss Thread

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Remember that episode of Family Guy where he continues to see himself as fat but he really isn't? Yeah, it almost sounds like you're at risk for anorexia nervosa and I do recommend maybe speaking to someone. Doesn't have to be a therapist, but you definitely need someone to be constantly reminding you that you're doing great.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's called body dysmorphia, and anyone who steps into a gym is affected by it.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
The wardrobe idea is a good thought. I was considering cleaning my closet out a bit last week but didn't quite get to it.

I am pretty sure (I guess) this isn't turning into an eating disorder. I feel like I am self aware enough that I would recognize it. But perhaps that is the problem with eating disorders in that it just starts to feel normal. I tell you what though, I have no problem with limited food intake, if anything eating more is an incentive, and I am pretty religious about tracking my daily stats so I would be able to spot a trend. I am hoping I don't need constant encouragement to feel normal. As a grown man, that feels wrong, yay stereotyping.

I will have to check out body dysmorphia and do some reading. Seems promising and connects a few dots being related to social anxiety and such.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I mean... eating disorders come in all different shapes and sizes. Do I have an eating disorder? I just turned down a free lunch from my boss because I couldn't accurately track the macros from the diner food. Or am I simply committed to my goals? Should I be commended or seek treatment? It'll vary from person to person.

As long as you're not doing anything harmful to your body (and this includes psychological damage) stick with what's working for you.

As for body dysmorphia, it's pretty common even among the biggest dudes in the gym. You're not at a point physically where I'd worry about it (no offense). You've still got a ways to go and you're honest with yourself about that. But don't expect your body alone to fix your social anxiety.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I'm with Itlan, I'm technically never "satisfied" with how my body is. I always think I could get stronger/faster but that's just cause I'm always working towards something. Granted I'm not looking in the mirror with disgust but it's always in my head that I could change something for the better(mainly bigger quads).

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
Got to agree with everyone else. You'll probably never be satisfied. If you think about it though you never were in the first place but you feel a lot better about where you are now than where you used to be. It's a lifelong effort for anyone who gives a damn about their physique.

The bullshit before and after miracle diet ads don't help anyone either. Ignore all pictures of once fat and now ripped people and you'll have more realistic expectations.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Remember that episode of Family Guy where he continues to see himself as fat but he really isn't? Yeah, it almost sounds like you're at risk for anorexia nervosa and I do recommend maybe speaking to someone. Doesn't have to be a therapist, but you definitely need someone to be constantly reminding you that you're doing great.
It was American Dad!

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Got to agree with everyone else. You'll probably never be satisfied. If you think about it though you never were in the first place but you feel a lot better about where you are now than where you used to be. It's a lifelong effort for anyone who gives a damn about their physique.

The bullshit before and after miracle diet ads don't help anyone either. Ignore all pictures of once fat and now ripped people and you'll have more realistic expectations.
Bullshit, I plan on selling my before and after pictures and claiming it only took 6 weeks instead of 3+ years of regular diet and exercise (and lots of relapses)!

Those ads will help me!

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I mean... eating disorders come in all different shapes and sizes. Do I have an eating disorder? I just turned down a free lunch from my boss because I couldn't accurately track the macros from the diner food. Or am I simply committed to my goals? Should I be commended or seek treatment? It'll vary from person to person.

As long as you're not doing anything harmful to your body (and this includes psychological damage) stick with what's working for you.

As for body dysmorphia, it's pretty common even among the biggest dudes in the gym. You're not at a point physically where I'd worry about it (no offense). You've still got a ways to go and you're honest with yourself about that. But don't expect your body alone to fix your social anxiety.
Are you hurting your social and financial self just to satisfy your psychological need for control?

You MIGHT have a problem.

I also spent 60,000 one year on webcam girls... so I'm not saying that I don't have problems, I'm just saying that that's the line in the sand where you have to ask yourself if you need to make a change...

And yes, I stopped doing that (except rarely, very rarely, but it might have been a few hundred last year at the most)... Same with controlling your diet, not everything has to be cold turkey if it's hurting you... just recognize that if it's hurting other aspects of your life, maybe you can ease off of it for a while.

iannis

Musty Nester
Ouch man. 60 grand on camwhores. Talk about losing some weight.

They're supposed to leave you SOME skin.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Why not just hire call girls?
That's what I switched to, it's not exactly a great solution either, but I guess it was an improvement. Anyway, the IF program has definitely been helping, I've also have decided to start actively trying to measure/restrict my carbohydrate level, (less than 100g a day ideally), so we'll see if that accelerates the process, and if it's sustainable.

Ossoi

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I've also have decided to start actively trying to measure/restrict my carbohydrate level, (less than 100g a day ideally), so we'll see if that accelerates the process, and if it's sustainable.
You should be carb cycling

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
That's what I switched to, it's not exactly a great solution either, but I guess it was an improvement. Anyway, the IF program has definitely been helping, I've also have decided to start actively trying to measure/restrict my carbohydrate level, (less than 100g a day ideally), so we'll see if that accelerates the process, and if it's sustainable.
If you don't like carbs then do it, otherwise you're not even close to needing to put that sort of effort into your diet.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Under 100g a day takes effort? I wouldn't even consider that low carb. It's kind of pointless to choose such an arbitrary number.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
Under 100g a day takes effort? I wouldn't even consider that low carb. It's kind of pointless to choose such an arbitrary number.
Fine tuning~effort I guess would be a better way to put it. Arbitrary seems about right and I'm not sure how it would do a whole lot for the non obese.

iannis

Musty Nester
Just getting into the habit of paying attention to it for a few weeks isn't abadthing. And when you've got the habit, you can refine into a somewhat less arbitrary number.

Or just log yourself and see what you're consuming a day/week now. Like exactly. I dunno a percentage, but an awful lot of weight loss and fitness is mental discipline. Not the majority or anything. The majority of fitness is moving your ass and sweating. But a lot of it is still mental.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just getting into the habit of paying attention to it for a few weeks isn't abadthing. And when you've got the habit, you can refine into a somewhat less arbitrary number.

Or just log yourself and see what you're consuming a day/week now. Like exactly. I dunno a percentage, but an awful lot of weight loss and fitness is mental discipline. Not the majority or anything. The majority of fitness is moving your ass and sweating. But a lot of it is still mental.
Yea, it was just an "arbitrary" number I picked based on estimating my macro needs and shooting for under that. I've seen lots of diet plans that shoot for .5g/lb carb goals, and this is less than .6g/lb I think it's will be easier to keep my calories in check if I'm measuring/counting my carbs.

Pretty much every single time I've "broken" my diet, calorie wise, it was because I consumed large amounts of carbs that threw in a ton of calories that day.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
An average maintenance diet generally consists of 200g-250g of carbs a day so 100g can easily be considered low carb.