Weight Loss Thread

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I'd like to but I'm taking it one step at a time. I'm going to be working out at a gym after I hit my 20% number and I'd love to put on more muscle, but I'm not necessarily interested in being "ripped" lol.

Any pointers on what to do once I start hitting the gym (most likely by mid-Feb) would be appreciated. Bear in mind I've not worked out in.. like 6-7 months so intense stuff at the start probably will murder me.

I'm not gonna diss Gilg, losing weight is always a good thing, but man, I think you're making some sacrifices that aren't making a difference in your weight. But if its working for you, shrug, it's working for you.

I would suggest basic core exercises, like squats, bench, dead lift, standing up barbell row, over the head military press. Maybe squeeze in some curls in there to get blood flowing to those guns again.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I'd like to but I'm taking it one step at a time. I'm going to be working out at a gym after I hit my 20% number and I'd love to put on more muscle, but I'm not necessarily interested in being "ripped" lol.

Any pointers on what to do once I start hitting the gym (most likely by mid-Feb) would be appreciated. Bear in mind I've not worked out in.. like 6-7 months so intense stuff at the start probably will murder me.

I'm not gonna diss Gilg, losing weight is always a good thing, but man, I think you're making some sacrifices that aren't making a difference in your weight. But if its working for you, shrug, it's working for you.

Do a few weeks of basic calisthenics -- pushups, crunches, planks, air squats... whatever, doesn't really matter, just try to hit all muscle groups. Do them slow with proper form (use youtube). You're not building muscle in this stage, you're building flexibility and acclimating your body to work. Once you aren't getting sore from calisthenics you should go find a beginner strength training plan. Doesn't matter which; I recommend stronglifts since it's simple as fuck and has an app. You squat, deadlift, press, row, bench. If you adhere to that for a few months you'll be in a good position to think about things further and consider an intermediate plan.

Note for the haters: I know stronglifts isn't the best workout plan ever. It's just a simple newbie plan. People spend 5x more effort planning and discussing their workout plan compared to actually doing it. Once a track record of "doing it" has been established, then it makes sense to investigate different approaches.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Do a few weeks of basic calisthenics -- pushups, crunches, planks, air squats... whatever, doesn't really matter, just try to hit all muscle groups. Do them slow with proper form (use youtube). You're not building muscle in this stage, you're building flexibility and acclimating your body to work. Once you aren't getting sore from calisthenics you should go find a beginner strength training plan. Doesn't matter which; I recommend stronglifts since it's simple as fuck and has an app. You squat, deadlift, press, row, bench. If you adhere to that for a few months you'll be in a good position to think about things further and consider an intermediate plan.

Note for the haters: I know stronglifts isn't the best workout plan ever. It's just a simple newbie plan. People spend 5x more effort planning and discussing their workout plan compared to actually doing it. Once a track record of "doing it" has been established, then it makes sense to investigate different approaches.

Absolutely agree, go to the gym and do "something." Get in the habit of lifting often and learn your limits and how things feel and get some practice with the weights etc.

Tweak your program and totally overhaul your program as you go along. Doing "something" is 80-90% of the battle. Tweaking it is fine later.

Also, diet remains 90% of the battle.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Absolutely agree, go to the gym and do "something." Get in the habit of lifting often and learn your limits and how things feel and get some practice with the weights etc.

Tweak your program and totally overhaul your program as you go along. Doing "something" is 80-90% of the battle. Tweaking it is fine later.

Also, diet remains 90% of the battle.

Or, buy a bunch of sketchy orally-ingested steroids from foreign websites and do nothing but 50-100 dumbell presses in your office chair. Whatever happened to Antman?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Or, buy a bunch of sketchy orally-ingested steroids from foreign websites and do nothing but 50-100 dumbell presses in your office chair. Whatever happened to Antman?

Probably died from liver damage

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Thanks guys for the help. I can't wait to get to < 20% body fat. I can't remember the last time I was there. Maybe when I was what.. 15? lol.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Thanks guys for the help. I can't wait to get to < 20% body fat. I can't remember the last time I was there. Maybe when I was what.. 15? lol.

If you're increasing your activity and lifting weights then you can definitely enjoy more food.

10-12 calories per lb is what I aim for when I'm on a strict cut. If you want to benefit from "noob gains" when as a new lifter you can build muscle and lose fat simultaneously then you could probably aim for 13 cals per lb body weight.

Strong lifts 5x5 is a good beginners program and the app makes it easy.

I've had a shoulder injury since October 26, just been doing hiit sessions since then. Saw a physio and chiropractor, hoped to get back to weights this week. Had to abort my first session of bench press after 3-sets as didn't feel right and have been eating shit since, sucks.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Gilg--I'm picking up about where you're at now. How have you done it, sir?

I've been making better choices with food, slightly (more portion control than what I eat) and working out for about a month--I want to continue my current happy trend downwards..As a fellow bigass 'mofo, what have you found helps you the most?

Also, checking in at 315 on 1/10/17. I want that to be 215 on 1/10/18

Was on vacation. I was 309.5 before I ate dinner today. For me it was about completely breaking the bad relationship I had with food. I literally don't even care about eating anymore. When I went on vacation I went crazy the first day, indulged, ate like 4200 calories. The next morning I didn't feel ill. I felt fine. But I also didn't get much pleasure out of it. Two slices of pizza would have accomplished what 6 did. Two beers would have done what 5 did. Rest of my vacation I just ate like a normal human being and lost weight. Intermittent fasting allowed me to break those mental connections between comfort and frustration and eating. Now I eat the way I want my body to grow. Right now I want to get under 250 as quickly as possible and maintain my muscle, so I'm following that to the best of my ability. In 6 months I'll be looking to build muscle mass so I'll be eating twice as much.

Just looking forward to putting this phase of my life behind me.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Keto is weak shit.

If you really want to lose weight go on water fasts.

I've done three fasts in the last year. First was 1 day, then 7 days, then 21 days.

I recommend this method of weight loss because it's effective, safe, and easy. Just make sure to drink lots of water and break the fast if you experience pain of any kind.

Sincerelly,

Dr. Himeo

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
I don't frequent this thread but here is my short interlude. 33 day progress. Down 12 pounds doing yoga and making small diet choices. No goal. Just going to keep plugging away.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's the way to do it, diet choices. Worry about the exercise later.

Yoga is awesome, I really need to make time for it. How's your mobility? Has it improved?

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Better. I can do some of the poses much better now. I had to go up a notch (to the last notch) on my belt. 13 pounds as of this morning.

I am doing DDP Yoga btw. Can't believe that shit is actually working. I was following the guide which had me doing it 3 times a week. I said fuck it and do it 6 days a week. There is only one workout that is 30 mins. Everything else is 12-24 mins.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
So started 14 Dec. Down 21 pounds in 51 days. Yoga 5 days a week. That is all I do. So I decided to diversify and did some jogging on Monday. Wrecked me. I hate running.

Any recommendations on something to add to my exercise routine? Weight training, running, etc?

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Weight training. Stair climbing can be a good quick work out, gets your heart rate up fast and uses a lot of different muscles in your legs.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
So started 14 Dec. Down 21 pounds in 51 days. Yoga 5 days a week. That is all I do. So I decided to diversify and did some jogging on Monday. Wrecked me. I hate running.

Any recommendations on something to add to my exercise routine? Weight training, running, etc?

When your weight is reasonable and it won't kill you transition to HIIT instead of steady state cardio. You can get it done in 20 minutes and burn more calories/do more training.

And as the above guys say, lift. Work out a good routine and go lift 3-4 days a week and control diet and your body will love you.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I hate HIIT. I can't stand sweating, and I feel so exhausted afterwards. I don't know how people can tolerate doing real HIIT.