Weight Loss Thread

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Man, I miss yogurt. Not that I don't eat it - but I've been a yogurt fan my entire life. I ate a shitload of yoplait when I was a kid and into adulthood, and basically any other yogurt on the market I could find. Then 10 or 15 years ago when Greek came out, all yogurt kinda turned to shit real quick. Yoplait changed their sweetener and I can't stand any artificial sugars. Shit tastes like poison (probably because it is). And all Greek is like eating fucking paste. And every yogurt company followed suit. I really miss the shit we had as kids.

The closest thing I've found to tolerable is the dannon Greek - not pasty, 12g protein, still has sucralose, but must be under the threshold or poison. But still doesn't match up to the memory of how many awesome yogurts we had 30+ years ago.

It's like tracking down your old high school girlfriend just to find out she's 350 now.
If you can find a brand called Forager, it's the best yogurt I've ever had and it's not dairy based.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
To each their own, I guess. I vastly prefer Greek yogurt to what we had before. Low fat/cal and great protein. Agreed that Yoplait 100% tastes like plastic now.
I prefer Greek as well, and plain isn’t nearly as tart as other styles. I don’t have a problem eating it straight but like to add fruit/nuts/oats or a little honey.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Man, I miss yogurt. Not that I don't eat it - but I've been a yogurt fan my entire life. I ate a shitload of yoplait when I was a kid and into adulthood, and basically any other yogurt on the market I could find. Then 10 or 15 years ago when Greek came out, all yogurt kinda turned to shit real quick. Yoplait changed their sweetener and I can't stand any artificial sugars. Shit tastes like poison (probably because it is). And all Greek is like eating fucking paste. And every yogurt company followed suit. I really miss the shit we had as kids.

The closest thing I've found to tolerable is the dannon Greek - not pasty, 12g protein, still has sucralose, but must be under the threshold or poison. But still doesn't match up to the memory of how many awesome yogurts we had 30+ years ago.

It's like tracking down your old high school girlfriend just to find out she's 350 now.

Costco currently sells A2 whole milk yogurt that is 115 cal and 12g protein for 170g. It is pretty delicious.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
I can't imagine counting the calories of everything I eat. F That. Wanna gain weight? Eat more. Wanna lose weight? Eat less or just do a several day fast.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Are you like 5'2 80 lbs?
5'11'', 188, on a target 750 cal/day deficit losing 1.5 lbs a week on my way to 170-175. I agree it seems a little low, especially given that I swim 6-8 miles a week, but the weight has been coming off on schedule for a couple months now without me being deathly hungry so that seems like the right balance point. I chalk it up to being 45 and the desk job. /shrug

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That seems pretty low for having a solid gym routine unless you're just super inactive otherwise (and/or trying to cut hard instead of at a nice gradual pace) but maybe it's not for you.
I'm averaging 16k (~8 miles) steps a day pacing at work, visiting rentals, prospective clients and the gym. I have on average, a 2 hour gym routine, on average, 4 days a week. I have been struggling to make it through my workout for the last week or so, though. I know its the deficit, but I've never pushed to be cut before a day in my life and I'm kind of fumbling through whatever I'm told to do (to be quite honest.) Its my own personal goal and Im committed to get to where I want to be. I can finally see the top part of my abs, but I can still feel/see the fat on my lower belly and hips and thats what Im after.
I can't imagine counting the calories of everything I eat. F That. Wanna gain weight? Eat more. Wanna lose weight? Eat less or just do a several day fast.
You're coming from a completely different mentality over someone thats fat. They got fat in the first place because of their lack of will power, or general lack of "care" towards how calorie dense/rich the foods they eat are. I think you've always been skinny, havent you? Like Asmongold type of skinny before you started working out? Theyre not even in the same league as you, mentally. I say this cause it just comes off as gloating or similar.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
You're coming from a completely different mentality over someone thats fat. They got fat in the first place because of their lack of will power, or general lack of "care" towards how calorie dense/rich the foods they eat are. I think you've always been skinny, havent you? Like Asmongold type of skinny before you started working out? Theyre not even in the same league as you, mentally. I say this cause it just comes off as gloating or similar.

My daughters are both super skinny, they got teased for it a lot when they were younger. I told em to ignore it because they'll get the last laugh when they spend the next 20-30 years eating whatever they want while their friends get fat.

That genetic predisposition is playing life on EZ mode, that's for sure. I didn't have to start worrying about calories until was 35 and was sitting on a forklift all day.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Hard disagree. Calorie counting is a great tool.

Not everyone is wired the same way for food. My base metabolism is optimized to store energy for that long, lean winter that's coming any year now. By the time I get satiety signals I've had a 1500 calorie dinner. I could easily eat a full day's caloric budget in a single sitting at a restaurant without feeling gross. "Just eat less" is completely unactionable because what feels like "less" in the moment still doesn't lose weight. "Just eat clean" doesn't work either; I've gained weight eating nothing but chicken and brown rice and broccoli. If I make a conscious effort not to snack I can stay roughly stable just on instinct, but then a few holiday meals or a change of activity due to work or injury and the pounds sneak on and stay on. Five or ten years later your pants don't fit. Call that bad genetics, call it lack of willpower, I'll own both but the difference is completely immaterial by the time you get to the scale.

Counting calories is tremendously liberating for someone like me because it removes all the guesswork and guilt and turns weight loss into an entirely scientific, predictable, tunable process. Yeah, it's a bit of a pain but it's better than being fat and is 100% reliable over the time scale of months required make a major change in body composition.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It's worth counting calories for a month if just to get a better idea on how many calories/macros there are in serving sized of food that you eat.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Idk just seems like a bad excuse as to why people are overweight. Counting calories is a very new thing. Just seems like you'd be better off spending your time burning calories than counting them. I'd go with what with ToeMissile said. As a short term thing just to get a general idea is good but obsessing over it probably isn't.

Captain Suave

Counting calories is a very new thing. Just seems like you'd be better off spending your time burning calories than counting them.

Infinite calories perpetually at your fingertips is also a new thing. Relying on willpower doesn't work to get you out of a situation you got into from lack of signaling and willpower. You can do all the exercise you want but it's trivially easy to out-eat any level of activity if you can't cap your caloric intake through one mechanism or another. Counting takes max 5 minutes a day once you get the system down.

• 2Like

Sterling

El Presidente
People can have a hard time understanding how many calories they're actually taking in if they've never measured it. And you need to be as accurate as you can be since there's a bunch of shit people don't think about. Like knowing the actual portion size. like thinking something is 6 ounces when it's really 7 or 8 makes a big difference. As well as any extra shit added. Eating a spinach based salad is good, but then drowning it in dressing will add a shitload of calories. After measuring for awhile you can maybe get a feel for it and not have to be so anal about it later on and can maybe guestimate well, but for a lot of people early on that's just not the case or they wouldn't be obese to begin with.

• 1Like

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Infinite calories perpetually at your fingertips is also a new thing. Relying on willpower doesn't work to get you out of a situation you got into from lack of signaling and willpower. You can do all the exercise you want but it's trivially easy to out-eat any level of activity if you can't cap your caloric intake through one mechanism or another. Counting takes max 5 minutes a day once you get the system down.

I'd say it takes 5 minutes BEFORE you get the system down.

In Macrofactor, when I go to add food, it pulls up a list of things I eat at that time, and the amounts I eat, so I can just click and add them. Zero searches. "It's 11am, did you just eat 2 scoops of protein powder and 2 cups of skim milk? Awesome, see you at 6pm for 6oz of grilled chicken and 2.5oz of blueberries."

• 2Like

Captain Suave

I'd say it takes 5 minutes BEFORE you get the system down.

In Macrofactor, when I go to add food, it pulls up a list of things I eat at that time, and the amounts I eat, so I can just click and add them. Zero searches. "It's 11am, did you just eat 2 scoops of protein powder and 2 cups of skim milk? Awesome, see you at 6pm for 6oz of grilled chicken and 2.5oz of blueberries."

We do a lot of cooking and eat meals at my in-laws a couple times a week. My wife is one of those horrible people who doesn't have to try at all to control her weight, and also likes a lot of variety and to eat out regularly. Unless I'm going to completely opt out of eating the same thing as my family I have to input recipes and serving size for the 20-30 dishes we tend to rotate through. Once I got all that in Lose It, yeah, it just takes a few seconds on the app and measuring/weighing portions. There's less precision at restaurants but with a practiced eye you can get close enough.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
We do a lot of cooking and eat meals at my in-laws a couple times a week. My wife is one of those horrible people who doesn't have to try at all to control her weight, and also likes a lot of variety and to eat out regularly. Unless I'm going to completely opt out of eating the same thing as my family I have to input recipes and serving size for the 20-30 dishes we tend to rotate through. Once I got all that in Lose It, yeah, it just takes a few seconds on the app and measuring/weighing portions. There's less precision at restaurants but with a practiced eye you can get close enough.

When I have lost weight in the past, once I get close to my goal weight, I generally start looking at the skinny people in my life and it's painfully obvious that they're mostly doing nothing or next to nothing (with a few exceptions) to stay that way. No one is putting in even close to the amount of effort I am. Yes they eat less but they do it because they are satisfied, not because they have such amazing "will power". I could take credit for the fact that I can have 7 kinds of booze in the house and 8 out of 10 nights I don't drink any of them. I'm not looking at alcoholics and going "they should just have will power like me". I know whether it's a disease or a mental illness or something else they have a compulsion to keep drinking that I just don't have to deal with. Even though I really enjoy beer and wine and whiskey, it takes basically zero will power for me to not overindulge in them but I know it's a different experience for a lot of people.

• 3Solidarity

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I'm averaging 16k (~8 miles) steps a day pacing at work, visiting rentals, prospective clients and the gym. I have on average, a 2 hour gym routine, on average, 4 days a week. I have been struggling to make it through my workout for the last week or so, though. I know its the deficit, but I've never pushed to be cut before a day in my life and I'm kind of fumbling through whatever I'm told to do (to be quite honest.) Its my own personal goal and Im committed to get to where I want to be. I can finally see the top part of my abs, but I can still feel/see the fat on my lower belly and hips and thats what Im after.
Is the weight coming off at a reasonable pace? You'll definitely have to start toning the workouts down a little the leaner you get. Could always try going slightly up in calories for a week or two if it starts to be a problem (not bulking calories but close to what you'd be maintaining at once the cut is done) and that'd give you a feel for what it's gonna be like maintaining it once you're there, too.
I think a big part of it is the mentality and habits formed. When you get used to eating snacks constantly, it's hard to break that habit (just like all habits, really) unless you're 100% dedicated mentally. Same thing applies to smoking or anything else. People all the time just decide "nah, i'm done" and never smoke again or have cravings or anything. I think the same thing happens with weight loss/fitness, people just decide to do it and coast right through. The struggles come for the ones who aren't fully committed so then they're constantly thinking about whatever they're giving up, wishing they had it because they still want it deep down.

I'm in the struggle to eat enough to gain weight category, myself. Partly lifestyle and other reasons but also partly because I have to hard force myself to eat extra meals when i'm not hungry to even get close to enough calories to gain.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

I'm in the struggle to eat enough to gain weight category, myself... I have to hard force myself to eat extra meals when i'm not hungry to even get close to enough calories to gain.

The fact that you can type this with a straight face is exactly what we meant saying that people are wired differently and that it's not just mentality or commitment. That experience is about as alien to me as if you said you had wings, even when I was in good shape for years at a time. If I wanted to gain weight I'd just have to stop constantly working to be conservative about food.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like