Weight Loss Thread

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
It's almost like behavior is genetic.

Ethnicity, as measured in that data, is cultural not genetic. There are like 5-10 distinct genetic groups within "Hispanic". The genetic diversity within the "Black" ethnicity is greater than that between any other groups of humans anywhere on Earth. That data also says nothing about racial mixing. Everyone is fat outside Asians, and even those populations are trending heavily to obesity as their cultures acclimate to shitty Western diets of convenience. If we're concerned about mixing we should all have half-Asian kids to make the next generation slimmer and smarter.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
No, behavior is almost entirely habitual, at least in humans anyway.
My belief is that genetics determines behavior, while environment reinforces or discourages it.

I could be wrong.

Dog Barking GIF by Sidetalk

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Come on, it's not genetics when obesity didn’t exist 70 years ago and now it's 30% of the population...
80's kids didn't invent shitty lifestyle choices, but 70 years ago, people had more physical jobs, went outside for entertainment, and actually ate real food.
Also, do people actually think that behavior is fully independent of genetics?? :emoji_thinking:

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Also, do people actually think that behavior is fully independent of genetics?? :emoji_thinking:
Not a single person said that they wholly believe that genetics doesnt have an impact. We just dont believe it has any significant amount of impact.

If you guys want to believe that genetics is the main culprit for some people and not explain how you came to that conclusion, by all means - keep up the good fight. But everything I can think of is just you and the cave man part of your brain fighting it out. Genetics doesnt pull the fork to your mouth.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
They're twins. Have you ever seen fat twins in real life? They are all over the place.

It's a combination of factors but genetics does the heavy lifting, without question.
The only pair of twins i've known IRL were 2 sisters in high school and they were not fat, and were in fact quite attractive.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Not a single person said that they wholly believe that genetics doesnt have an impact. We just dont believe it has any significant amount of impact.

If you guys want to believe that genetics is the main culprit for some people and not explain how you came to that conclusion, by all means - keep up the good fight. But everything I can think of is just you and the cave man part of your brain fighting it out. Genetics doesnt pull the fork to your mouth.
What if your willpower or ability to critically think were dependent on genetics?

Not all fat people, i know. Just asking questions.

• 2Moron
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
What if your willpower or ability to critically think were dependent on genetics?

The variance within any particular genetic group is so large compared to the average differences between groups that for a specific individual it's not useful information.

Last edited:

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Genetics doesnt pull the fork to your mouth.
So it's only bad parenting that makes preschoolers eat the marshmallow I guess?

I guess it's just bad parenting that results in low iq, addictive personalities, risk seeking behavior, etc.?

We're all ultimately responsible for our own behavior, but it's insane to think that genetics isn't a major factor when looking at population-level averages.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Behaviors are pretty much locked in when your brain fully develops at the age of 24. So if you are a fat fuck with shitty eating habits as you are growing up they will pretty much still stick with you the rest of your life. Might be why so many are fat.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199005243222102
The intrapair correlation coefficients of the values for body-mass index of identical twins reared apart were 0.70 for men and 0.66 for women.
Adoption studies have revealed that the body-mass index (weight in kilograms divided by the square of the height in meters) of adoptees resembles that of their biologic parents and siblings, but not that of their adoptive parents.

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So it's only bad parenting that makes preschoolers eat the marshmallow I guess?

I guess it's just bad parenting that results in low iq, addictive personalities, risk seeking behavior, etc.?

We're all ultimately responsible for our own behavior, but it's insane to think that genetics isn't a major factor when looking at population-level averages.
It's not, just rewind your lifestyle to what it was a century ago and everything is gone.

It’s a cultural thing. Obesity is 42% in the USA it was close to 0 barely 70 years ago, it’s only 17% in France. The deciding factor is cultural, genetics only play a minor role that everyone can pull through.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
It's not, just rewind your lifestyle to what it was a century ago and everything is gone.

It’s a cultural thing. Obesity is 42% in the USA it was close to 0 barely 70 years ago, it’s only 17% in France. The deciding factor is cultural, genetics only play a minor role that everyone can pull through.
Social pressure is a HUGE reason, you got made fun of if you were fat. Asians have IMMENSE social pressure to not be fat.

I'm not French and have only visited France a few times, but there seems to be social cohesion there that we don't have in America - you guys are French and proud of it. Does that translate into more social pressure to not be a fatass?

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Social pressure is a HUGE reason, you got made fun of if you were fat. Asians have IMMENSE social pressure to not be fat.

I'm not French and have only visited France a few times, but there seems to be social cohesion there that we don't have in America - you guys are French and proud of it. Does that translate into more social pressure to not be a fatass?
There is one, yeah just one, fat kid in my kid’s class. She's first grade. Some kids are clearly picking on her. She's not even massively obese, just overweight.

I think it’s not a french thing, it’s a thing in Latin Countries, Spain, France, Portugal, Italy,.. Northen European countries like to call us lazy, but it’s a little more complicated than that. In southern europe we're still very much fat=lazy=fuck off. People are definitely less lazy when it comes to personnal health, be it through exercice and through what we eat.

I think we're past the peak in France, especialy among.middle class and above.
Screenshot_20240805_102512_Chrome.jpg

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>

To be clear, I'm not calling anyone here in this thread low IQ. There is something that distinguishes people who give a shit about losing weight and those who don't. I doubt people who don't give a shit bother to read weight loss threads.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

To be clear, I'm not calling anyone here in this thread low IQ. There is something that distinguishes people who give a shit about losing weight and those who don't. I doubt people who don't give a shit bother to read weight loss threads.
What I find hilarious is that you're putting your belief in this short sighted "study" that ignores other scholarly publications on the exact same issue. You know what dumb people have in common with fat people? (Edit: Low Income, specifically in the US.) Everything in that entire circle comes back to poverty. Poor people have been eating low nutritional food for probably 1000's of years now. While affluent, wealthy people have had fruits, meats, vegetables multiple times a day. If I need to explain the rest of that bread crumb trail to you, then by all means ask away.

But here, dont take my word for it. You linked something from a newsletter website that pushes ads. So how about we link an actual scholastic journal dialing in the real culprit to what you are talking about.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
What I find hilarious is that you're putting your belief in this short sighted "study" that ignores other scholarly publications on the exact same issue. You know what dumb people have in common with fat people? Poverty / Low Income. Everything in that entire circle comes back to poverty. Poor people have been eating low nutritional food for probably 1000's of years now. While affluent, wealthy people have had fruits, meats, vegetables multiple times a day. If I need to explain the rest of that bread crumb trail to you, then by all means ask away.

But here, dont take my word for it. You linked something from a newsletter website that pushes ads. So how about we link an actual scholastic journal dialing in the real culprit to what you are talking about.
poverty/obesity =/= iq/obesity

The linked article listed 8 sources across multiple multi-decade studies. Not sure what to tell you.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There is literally 0% chance you read what he linked in ~3 minutes. And you're too stupid, and probably fat, to even put that together