Weight Loss Thread

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
tldw; it's fine

Both of those guys are morons when it comes to this. I prefer not to listen to steroid abusers and fake natties like Norton.

1723400556617.png

1723400593684.png

Ya this clown claims he's natty lmao. I respect Dr Mike more since he is at least open about the fact that he's juiced but I have zero fucking respect whatsoever for fake natties so fuck Norton and everyone like him.

Are seed oils bad for you? Overall yes. However, some aren't as bad as others. They are basically all very highly processed, some more than others. The more minimally processed ones aren't as bad but if you had to choose between basically any seed oil and avocado/evoo/coconut oil then seed oils lose 100% of the time. Seed oils are like protein powders. Some are better than others but getting it direct from food sources will always be superior because the more processed something is, the worse it is for you.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Think i asked before. avacado is pricy. I assume sunflower considered garbage, what about grape seed. Or maybe I'll stick to olive for everything.

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Both of those guys are morons when it comes to this. I prefer not to listen to steroid abusers and fake natties like Norton.

View attachment 540792

View attachment 540793

Ya this clown claims he's natty lmao. I respect Dr Mike more since he is at least open about the fact that he's juiced but I have zero fucking respect whatsoever for fake natties so fuck Norton and everyone like him.

Are seed oils bad for you? Overall yes. However, some aren't as bad as others. They are basically all very highly processed, some more than others. The more minimally processed ones aren't as bad but if you had to choose between basically any seed oil and avocado/evoo/coconut oil then seed oils lose 100% of the time. Seed oils are like protein powders. Some are better than others but getting it direct from food sources will always be superior because the more processed something is, the worse it is for you.
I don’t know about the USA but in Europe organic seed oils are cold pressed without any chemical processing. It’s probably ok, especialy if you do not heat them.

Any oil that is more processed than a plastic bag is probably a bad idea.

To cook I'm using ghee, olive oil or duck fat. I believe cooking with animal fat should be somewhat as humans have been doing that for quite a while.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've been dying for fried foods and am deprived after swearing off soybean oil which is all anyone uses nowadays, so finally went ahead and ordered a fryer and some beef tallow. Should come in this week.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande

View attachment 540792

View attachment 540793

I just substituted everything for Olive Oil, slightly more expensive but not as processed, not like I'm using that much to pan fry things.

Doesn't seem worth thinking about if it's that easy to swap out and the people using it all the time have one of the healthiest diets for thousands of years.

• 2Like

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
What are some of the absolute best things for muscle recovery from working out? Eating right, foam rolling, low intensity steady state cardio?

Anything else? Cold plunge/hot spa rotation? Supplements?
The gold standard for protein intake to maximize recovery is 1 gram of protein/LB of body weight per day split evenly throughout the day every 3-5 hours. I noticed a huge difference in recovery when I did that. Also eating that much protein has the huge benefit of making me feel full so I don’t snack on bullshit anymore.

• 2Like

Gurgeh

The gold standard for protein intake to maximize recovery is 1 gram of protein/LB of body weight per day split evenly throughout the day every 3-5 hours. I noticed a huge difference in recovery when I did that. Also eating that much protein has the huge benefit of making me feel full so I don’t snack on bullshit anymore.
The split evenly part is bullshit. Just think of how it went for hunter gatherers.

It's also been debunked by a study, there doesn't seem to be a maximum of protein you can assimilate in a single meal.

Here's a video about it and the sudy linked in it.

• 2Like

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
No calorie sweeteners, mainly just my coffee. Long time splenda person, any conensus on least cancer option these days? Saw a lot of stuff trying to debunk old warnings, and new stuff having concerning studies, to the point I can't really trust anything. But my bulk box empty and open to trying something else if it's not 5x $$$

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
No calorie sweeteners, mainly just my coffee. Long time splenda person, any conensus on least cancer option these days? Saw a lot of stuff trying to debunk old warnings, and new stuff having concerning studies, to the point I can't really trust anything. But my bulk box empty and open to trying something else if it's not 5x $$$
As far as I recall the more naturally derived ones are your best bet. Monk fruit/stevia? I weened myself off adding sweetener for the most part, I still do a bit of some kind of creamer though. I don't typically eat before lunch and black coffee doesn't make my empty stomach happy. For cold coffee it's a bit of milk, for hot I'll do ~ 1tbsp of https://lairdsuperfood.com/collecti...s/products/superfood-creamer-sweet-and-creamy

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
The split evenly part is bullshit. Just think of how it went for hunter gatherers.

It's also been debunked by a study, there doesn't seem to be a maximum of protein you can assimilate in a single meal.

Here's a video about it and the sudy linked in it.

Interesting video but the study is nowhere complete enough to be the final say in what you’re claiming and it has some flaws in its methodology. All their studies were based on 4-8 hours post workout and they use Caesin protein which takes that long to digest. if they used whey protein , which takes 2-3 hours to digest, it would have supported their claims better. What about rest days? Why didn’t they do 200g of whey protein once a day and track it for 24 hrs?

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Theres enough studies out there that shows it doesnt matter as long as your total daily consumption is met. If youre an elite athlete then ya it might help a little bit. If it mattered OMAD/fasting lifestyles would not be a thing.

• 2Like

Sterling

El Presidente
People argue over stuff that might make a marginal difference at the extreme outliers. If you're not a high level competitive athlete or have some kind of metabolic disorder just hit your macros, get some exercise, and be in a calorie deficit. So find a diet and exercise in a way that you can do it consistently and you'll lose weight.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Gurgeh

Theres enough studies out there that shows it doesnt matter as long as your total daily consumption is met. If youre an elite athlete then ya it might help a little bit. If it mattered OMAD/fasting lifestyles would not be a thing.
Especialy as we're in a weight loss thread, the '3 meals 2 snacks a day' is pretty much an eating disorder that lead to obesity a lot of people.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gurgeh

I believe a good rule of thumb to gain muscle (in a natural way...) is to think as to what an hunter gatherer was doing. The pressure for them to be muscular was immense.

I think there are 2 things which are remarkable, they didn’t eat protein every week, much less every day, but they did occasionnaly feast on meat.

The other one is they walked, a lot, apprently a male would walk an average 30k steps a day.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
The pressure for them to be muscular was immense.

The pressure was to have high endurance/efficiency. A lot of primal hunting involved chasing herd animals until they collapsed from exhaustion. Over a sufficient distance a human can outrun anything on Earth. Our superpower is sweating.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gurgeh

The pressure was to have high endurance/efficiency. A lot of primal hunting involved chasing herd animals until they collapsed from exhaustion. Over a sufficient distance a human can outrun anything on Earth. Our superpower is sweating.
That's true, but still among them, those with the best ability to build and maintain muscles were the ones that got to survive and reproduce.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
I believe a good rule of thumb to gain muscle (in a natural way...) is to think as to what an hunter gatherer was doing. The pressure for them to be muscular was immense.

I think there are 2 things which are remarkable, they didn’t eat protein every week, much less every day, but they did occasionnaly feast on meat.

The other one is they walked, a lot, apprently a male would walk an average 30k steps a day.
It's been interesting having a hobby farm. I've grown somewhat noticable biceps, but since other stuff just doesn't get used doing what I do, they are still skinny gamer nerd weak lol.

Been a struggle staying active the last month, 100F and high humidty, I get so weak and sapped feeling basically just standing and walking for 10 minutes outide much less doing any shovel/lifting etc

• 2Like

Gurgeh

It's been interesting having a hobby farm. I've grown somewhat noticable biceps, but since other stuff just doesn't get used doing what I do, they are still skinny gamer nerd weak lol.

Been a struggle staying active the last month, 100F and high humidty, I get so weak and sapped feeling basically just standing and walking for 10 minutes outide much less doing any shovel/lifting etc
Gardening is probably one of the best activity you can have, it’s outside, it’s got purpose, it’s hardwork.

I'm having the same issue as you, being on vacation in Vietnam for the last 6 weeks, my daily routine of 20k steps has been kinda hard to maintain.. Fortunately I had pools for half of it.

• 1Like

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Gardening is probably one of the best activity you can have, it’s outside, it’s got purpose, it’s hardwork.

I'm having the same issue as you, being on vacation in Vietnam for the last 6 weeks, my daily routine of 20k steps has been kinda hard to maintain.. Fortunately I had pools for half of it.
I dont care for it here though it's so much more hot humid and bugs everywhere compared to what you've probably experienced in france. Might as well be in south american jungle. That's why I leave most of my wife do it. But I need to get in to mow down the end of season crops/weeds, break out the tiller, etc. Realistically, all the stooping, squating/bending is really harsh on my knee's which I think are getting to be a problem in near future, and my lower back still not great after surgery, fine most day to day but the curling still annoys it after a little time.

Most of my shoveling is cleaning chicken/donkey pens. Currently what I'm avoiding doing is moving a few thousand pounds of railroad ties, cut up utility poles, scrap tires, and a mound of dirt to fill said tires to build a shooting berm.

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
I dont care for it here though it's so much more hot humid and bugs everywhere compared to what you've probably experienced in france. Might as well be in south american jungle. That's why I leave most of my wife do it. But I need to get in to mow down the end of season crops/weeds, break out the tiller, etc. Realistically, all the stooping, squating/bending is really harsh on my knee's which I think are getting to be a problem in near future, and my lower back still not great after surgery, fine most day to day but the curling still annoys it after a little time.

Most of my shoveling is cleaning chicken/donkey pens. Currently what I'm avoiding doing is moving a few thousand pounds of railroad ties, cut up utility poles, scrap tires, and a mound of dirt to fill said tires to build a shooting berm.

To help with the low back, get some shoes with a bit of a heel to them (similar to weightlifting shoes) or add something like a 1/2" versalift. This reduces the dorsiflexion requirement of the ankle in a deep squat which, when you run out of mobility gets made up with lumbar flexion. Not saying it will 100% fix pain there, but it will for sure reduce the amount of flexion your low back sees.

• 1Like