Weight Loss Thread

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
100% agree this has been my experience as well.
It's practically impossible. I think there's a point where it can be difficult, but you have to be a fairly high level athlete in an endurance sport. I'm totally blanking on the dude's name, but that swimmer who won all the gold medals was famously eating like 10k calories a day or something? While not at the same level, my dad was a distance runner in his youth (qualified for the '72 olympic trials for the marathon). While in college he was running 150+ miles per week and his coach would mandate/give him a pass a couple times per semester to stay at the dining hall all day and just eat because he had a hard time keeping on weight.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
It's practically impossible. I think there's a point where it can be difficult, but you have to be a fairly high level athlete in an endurance sport. I'm totally blanking on the dude's name, but that swimmer who won all the gold medals was famously eating like 10k calories a day or something? While not at the same level, my dad was a distance runner in his youth (qualified for the '72 olympic trials for the marathon). While in college he was running 150+ miles per week and his coach would mandate/give him a pass a couple times per semester to stay at the dining hall all day and just eat because he had a hard time keeping on weight.
Those people are so far out of the norm in terms of energy metabolism and activity level that its almost not worth discussing. We are all pretty regular joes just trying not to be fat.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
While I agree overall that diet is 90% and exercise is 10% when it comes to overall weight, surely you guys believe in those TDEE calculators that adjust your caloric intake for different levels of activity?

The primary issue is that 1 donut, a snickers bar or 1 craft beer might be the equivalent of 30 minutes on the treadmill lol

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
While I agree overall that diet is 90% and exercise is 10% when it comes to overall weight, surely you guys believe in those TDEE calculators that adjust your caloric intake for different levels of activity?

Of course. I'd be dying if I kept my baseline caloric intake on the days when I'm both active and do an extended workout. I do tend to not give myself full credit for exercise calories reported by my tracker, though. If I see 400 calories for an hour of swimming I might only eat an extra 150-200. With all the other errors in the system and whatever minor cheating I allow that seems to balance out about right when it comes to the scale.

The primary issue is that 1 donut, a snickers bar or 1 craft beer might be the equivalent of 30 minutes on the treadmill lol

Or an hour, yeah.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>

Of course. But people wildly overestimate how much they exercise, and wildly underestimate how much they eat. Which is why we are a nation of fatasses.

• 1Quality Calories
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Of course. But people wildly overestimate how much they exercise, and wildly underestimate how much they eat. Which is why we are a nation of fatasses.
Yeah I agree.

I've always said that the healthcare industry isn't the place to look if you really want to improve health outcomes. You'd need to legislate the grocery stores... hard sell in the USA for better or worse

• 1Like

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Nah dawg. You workout so you can still eat like an absolute pig and still look decent.

Last edited:

Captain Suave

Good discussion of the current research state on the relationship between exercise energy expenditure and food intake vs weight loss. Tlwd; there are feedback mechanisms that can reduce the net burn from exercise rather significantly, particularly while under a caloric deficit, but it's still a net positive. Anecdotally I've seen precisely this, where my net energy intake works out about right at the scale when I only credit myself ~50% of the exercise my tracker says I engaged in.

Also some interesting tidbits about the relationship between sleep and diet preferences and satiety. If sleep-deprived there are clear tendencies for people to eat more and worse. Exercise helps both appetite regulation and sleep, so it's super important even independent of any direct caloric effect.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Good discussion of the current research state on the relationship between exercise energy expenditure and food intake vs weight loss. Tlwd; there are feedback mechanisms that can reduce the net burn from exercise rather significantly, particularly while under a caloric deficit, but it's still a net positive. Anecdotally I've seen precisely this, where my net energy intake works out about right at the scale when I only credit myself ~50% of the exercise my tracker says I engaged in.

Also some interesting tidbits about the relationship between sleep and diet preferences and satiety. If sleep-deprived there are clear tendencies for people to eat more and worse. Exercise helps both appetite regulation and sleep, so it's super important even independent of any direct caloric effect.

A thousand percent on the sleep -> shit food choices for me. I've mentioned it before but when i was doing ~4 hour eating window, it became super apparent how much I was having a snack (healthy or not) when I was tired/having a shit day at work. I could really tell the difference between actual hunger, having an empty stomach, and desire for comfort.

Assuming no medical/health concerns I think it's worth doing at least 16/8 intermittent feed/fast for a few months, if only to really get used to how those all feel different.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Numbers unseen in at least two decades. This is down from 205 a year ago.

1726071930889.png

Last edited:
  • 9Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Had my physical last week. My blood pressure (the lower number) was in the mid 90s and now is the mid/low 80's , Dr. thinks thanks to me dropping 35ish lbs these past 10 months.

Very soon I'll be under 200lbs , which will be a first in probably 6 years so that will be a nice milestone.

It really comes down to this: if the drugs help you lose when all other systems failed, then so be it. "secret" "long-term" side effects are of course a worry, but having high blood pressure is a reality that must be delt with.

In all past diet or exercise programs, I eventually began to just get VERY grumpy and resentful of the program. The drug just changes all that and you don't even think about it. You just naturally eat less. it really is amazing.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I finally reached my goal of 160-170 LBS (from 200), trying to lose body fat at this point and gain muscle which will net me an increase on weight, possibly but maybe not.

I've been doing treadmilling for the entire thing up to now (when I'm on my "rest Days" I do 40 minutes at a 10 incline with a 8 minute "cooldown" at 0 incline where I sprint at 8 mph for 5 minutes and then 2 minutes at 4 mph) but I have some goals:

Always been shit at pushups so I'm trying to build my upper body
Want to get rid of love handles / have abs so doing core too

I had "AI" help me make a weekly training and would love some feedback, these are the actions I do but the weights are usually more than the suggested or I increase the duration's for things like planks:

Day 1: Arms and Abs​

1. Dumbbell Bicep Curls
How to Perform: Stand with a dumbbell in each hand, palms facing forward. Curl the weights up towards your shoulders while keeping your elbows close to your body. Lower back down slowly.

Sets: 3 Reps: 10-12
Weight: Choose a weight you can lift comfortably
  1. Dumbbell Tricep Extensions
How to Perform: Hold a dumbbell with both hands above your head. Lower the weight behind your head by bending your elbows, then straighten your arms to lift it back up.

Weight: Choose a weight that challenges you
  1. Lateral Raises
How to Perform: Stand with a dumbbell in each hand at your sides. Raise the weights out to the side until they are level with your shoulders. Lower them back down slowly.

Sets: 3 Reps: 10-15
Weight: 12 lbs or adjust as needed
  1. Resistance Band Bicep Curls
How to Perform: Stand on the middle of the band, holding an end in each hand. Curl your hands up towards your shoulders while keeping your elbows at your sides. Slowly lower them back down.

Sets: 3 Reps: 12-15
Band: Adjust resistance as needed
  1. Plank
How to Perform: Get into a pushup position, but rest on your forearms. Keep your body straight from head to heels. Hold this position without letting your hips sag.

Sets: 3 Duration: 30-45 seconds
  1. Russian Twists
How to Perform: Sit on the floor with your knees bent and feet off the ground. Lean back slightly and hold a weight or your hands together. Twist your torso to the right, then to the left, touching the ground beside your hips with each twist.

Sets: 3 Reps: 20-30 (10-15 per side)
Weight: Use a kettlebell or bodyweight

Day 2: Legs and Core​

1. Bodyweight Squats
How to Perform: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Lower your body by bending your knees, keeping your back straight, and go as low as you can. Stand back up and repeat.

Sets: 3 Reps: 15-20
  1. Kettlebell Goblet Squats
How to Perform: Hold a kettlebell close to your chest. Perform a squat, keeping your chest up and back straight.

Weight: Use the 12 or 20 lb kettlebell
  1. Lunges
How to Perform: Stand tall and take a step forward with one leg, lowering your hips until both knees are bent at a 90-degree angle. Push back to the starting position and switch legs.

Sets: 3 Reps: 10-12 per leg
  1. Resistance Band Glute Bridges
How to Perform: Lie on your back with your feet flat and knees bent. Place a resistance band around your thighs. Lift your hips off the ground, squeezing your glutes, then lower back down.

Band: Use a 20 or 30 lb resistance band
  1. Leg Raises
How to Perform: Lie on your back with your legs straight. Lift your legs up towards the ceiling, keeping them straight, then lower them back down slowly without letting them touch the floor.

1. Side Plank
How to Perform: Lie on your side and lift your body off the ground by balancing on one forearm and the side of your foot. Keep your body straight and hold this position. Switch sides after the set.

Sets: 2-3 per side Duration: 20-30 seconds

1 Rest Day:​

• Treadmill or Elliptical (20-30 minutes)
Duration: 20-30 minutes OR Calories: 300-600
Intensity: Moderate to high

Day 3: Cardio and Abs​

1. Treadmill or Elliptical (20-30 minutes)
How to Perform: Walk or jog on the treadmill or use the elliptical machine at a moderate to high intensity for 20-30 minutes. Adjust the speed and incline for a challenging workout.

Duration: 20-30 minutes
  1. Mountain Climbers
How to Perform: Get into a pushup position. Bring one knee towards your chest, then quickly switch legs, bringing the other knee forward. Keep alternating as fast as you can while maintaining a steady pace.

Sets: 3 Duration: 30-45 seconds
  1. Bicycle Crunches
How to Perform: Lie on your back with your hands behind your head and legs lifted, bent at 90 degrees. Bring your right elbow towards your left knee while straightening your right leg. Switch sides, bringing your left elbow to your right knee. Continue alternating.

Sets: 3 Reps: 20-30 (10-15 per side)
  1. Leg Raises
How to Perform: Lie on your back with your legs straight. Lift your legs up towards the ceiling, keeping them straight, then lower them back down slowly without letting them touch the floor.

1. Side Plank
How to Perform: Lie on your side and lift your body off the ground by balancing on one forearm and the side of your foot. Keep your body straight and hold this position. Switch sides after the set.

Sets: 2-3 per side Duration: 20-30 seconds

Day 4: Legs​

1. Step-Ups
How to Perform: Stand in front of a bench or step. Step onto it with one leg and push up, then step back down. Alternate legs.

Sets: 3 Reps: 10-12 per leg
Weight: Hold a kettlebell for added resistance
  1. Dumbbell Deadlifts
How to Perform: Stand with your feet hip-width apart, holding dumbbells in front of your thighs. Hinge at your hips, lowering the weights down your legs until you feel a stretch in your hamstrings. Stand back up.

Weight: Use a heavier dumbbell if possible
  1. Kettlebell Swings
How to Perform: Hold a kettlebell with both hands. Hinge at your hips and swing the kettlebell back between your legs, then drive your hips forward to swing it up to chest height.

Weight: Use the 20 or 25 lb kettlebell
  1. Resistance Band Side Steps
How to Perform: Place a resistance band around your thighs. Step to the side with one foot, then bring the other foot over to meet it. Continue stepping side to side.

Sets: 3 Reps: 10-12 per side
Band: Use a 30 or 40 lb resistance band

Day 5: Arms and Core​

1. Dumbbell Shoulder Press
How to Perform: Sit or stand with a dumbbell in each hand. Press the weights overhead, then lower them back down slowly.

Weight: Adjust weight as needed
  1. Dumbbell Rows
How to Perform: Place one knee and hand on a bench or sturdy surface. Hold a dumbbell in the opposite hand, pulling it up towards your hip. Lower it back down slowly and switch sides.

Sets: 3 Reps: 10-12 per side
Weight: Use a heavier dumbbell for this exercise
  1. Resistance Band Tricep Pushdowns
How to Perform: Attach a resistance band to something sturdy above you. Hold the ends and push your hands down until your arms are fully extended. Return to the starting position.

Band: Use a 30 or 40 lb resistance band
  1. Russian Twists
How to Perform: Sit on the floor with your knees bent and feet off the ground. Lean back slightly and hold a weight or your hands together. Twist your torso to the right, then to the left, touching the ground beside your hips with each twist.

Sets: 3
Reps: 20-30 (10-15 per side)
Weight: Use a kettlebell or bodyweight
  1. Plank
How to Perform: Get into a pushup position, but rest on your forearms. Keep your body straight from head to heels. Hold this position without letting your hips sag.

Sets: 3
Duration: 30-45 seconds

2 Rest Day:​

• Treadmill or Elliptical (20-30 minutes)
Duration: 20-30 minutes OR Calories: 300-600

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I finally reached my goal of 160-170 LBS (from 200), trying to lose body fat at this point and gain muscle which will net me an increase on weight, possibly but maybe not.

I've been doing treadmilling for the entire thing up to now (when I'm on my "rest Days" I do 40 minutes at a 10 incline with a 8 minute "cooldown" at 0 incline where I sprint at 8 mph for 5 minutes and then 2 minutes at 4 mph) but I have some goals:

I had "AI" help me make a weekly training and would love some feedback, these are the actions I do but the weights are usually more than the suggested or I increase the duration's for things like planks:

A lot of it is going to be trial and error until you find exercises that you "enjoy" because if you hate your workout routine, you aren't going to do it for long. For example, I love deadlifts but hate squats so I'd find ways to work the same muscle groups while avoiding actual squats.

• 1Solidarity

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
A lot of it is going to be trial and error until you find exercises that you "enjoy" because if you hate your workout routine, you aren't going to do it for long. For example, I love deadlifts but hate squats so I'd find ways to work the same muscle groups while avoiding actual squats.

I mean, so far so good, but I'm on week 2 of this specific routine, leg day 100% killed me though LOL. Been "walking" for about 6 months though and I wanted to cut that down since I wanted to change up body fat.

Need to get me a new grip strength thing for traffic, broke mine with usage after kids started school for the year and I resumed doing drop-offs, the 2 events are possibly related...people are shitty drivers and parents even more so.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande

Noticing a distinct lack of any chest at all in that plan. Are you doing other stuff or just following that? Trying to put on some serious strength or just get in a little better shape? What kind of shape would you say you're in at the moment?

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Noticing a distinct lack of any chest at all in that plan. Are you doing other stuff or just following that? Trying to put on some serious strength or just get in a little better shape? What kind of shape would you say you're in at the moment?

Mostly following it, I do pushups in a 3 set 20 rep bunch after each workout and on rest days.

Main goal is better shape but working up to better strength is a distant goal I think.

I would say I am average to below average fitness. I've never really tested it.

My stats are 6 foot tall, 160-170 lbs.

My typical treadmill was:

@ start speed 3.5 mph, increasing incline by 2 til 10 (my machine max) @ 1:30 intervals (last bit at 7 minute mark)

@ 7:30 min mark speed to 4 mph
@ 8:00 min mark speed to 4.5 mph
@ 40:00 min mark incline to 0
@ 41:00 min mark speed to 8 mph
@ 46:00 min mark speed to 4 mph
@ 47:00 min mark speed to 3.5 mph

I'm sweaty at the end but not dying.

---

As for no chest, I'm shit tier at pushups (are those chest?). Never really was able to do them. I can do about 20ish in a set and I try to do 3 sets fairly quick? I never timed it directly so I don't know.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Stop the cardio and lift real weights or you’ll just look like a smaller out of shape version.

• 1Seriously?

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Mostly following it, I do pushups in a 3 set 20 rep bunch after each workout and on rest days.

Main goal is better shape but working up to better strength is a distant goal I think.

I would say I am average to below average fitness. I've never really tested it.

My stats are 6 foot tall, 160-170 lbs.

My typical treadmill was:

@ start speed 3.5 mph, increasing incline by 2 til 10 (my machine max) @ 1:30 intervals (last bit at 7 minute mark)

@ 7:30 min mark speed to 4 mph
@ 8:00 min mark speed to 4.5 mph
@ 40:00 min mark incline to 0
@ 41:00 min mark speed to 8 mph
@ 46:00 min mark speed to 4 mph
@ 47:00 min mark speed to 3.5 mph

I'm sweaty at the end but not dying.

---

As for no chest, I'm shit tier at pushups (are those chest?). Never really was able to do them. I can do about 20ish in a set and I try to do 3 sets fairly quick? I never timed it directly so I don't know.
Yeah pushups are chest, but shoulders and triceps too. I'd try throwing in some chest presses and flies on the upper body days, if you're liking that plan, and see how it goes. The more I look at it the more I want to suggest quite a few changes, though. Home workouts or going to a gym (mostly relevant for access to different weights and equipment and whatnot)?

I'd say ignore Animosity and keep up the cardio if your goals are just general fitness and not trying to go solely for aesthetics.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah pushups are chest, but shoulders and triceps too. I'd try throwing in some chest presses and flies on the upper body days, if you're liking that plan, and see how it goes. The more I look at it the more I want to suggest quite a few changes, though. Home workouts or going to a gym (mostly relevant for access to different weights and equipment and whatnot)?

I'd say ignore Animosity and keep up the cardio if your goals are just general fitness and not trying to go solely for aesthetics.
He literally said he wants abs and no love handles. Cardio and push ups aren’t gonna give those results. He needs to build muscle.