Weight Loss Thread

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
When I did bodyweight routines I actually lost weight. I didn't know I had any weight to lose.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
A lot of body building stuff I read for *losing* weight suggests a 600 calorie deficit for steady weight loss. It stands to reason that the opposite would be true for weight gain, but I've never had a problem gaining weight and haven't looked into it at all.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I've never had a problem gaining weight either. But I probably eat at a 1500 calorie excess when I do it and it ain't for gains.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I think people who say they have trouble gaining weight just honestly do not like eating.

Tenks

I think people who say they have trouble gaining weight just honestly do not like eating.
This is me. And I can't help but feel lethargic and like shit if I eat garbage consecutive days. I also despise the feeling of being full. I just eat to not be hungry not to pop my pants button since I don't enjoy that feeling. It isn't even a matter of eating decent for my health I do it because I honestly don't enjoy eating trash day in day out.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is me. And I can't help but feel lethargic and like shit if I eat garbage consecutive days. I also despise the feeling of being full. I just eat to not be hungry not to pop my pants button since I don't enjoy that feeling. It isn't even a matter of eating decent for my health I do it because I honestly don't enjoy eating trash day in day out.
This is where I tell people to drink their calories.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
My wife is the same way. Just doesn't eat, doesn't care to eat, when we do go out to eat and she eats a lot she feels like shit. It's an excellent problem to have these days, haha. I could McCheese my way through 5000 calories a day if I didn't worry about it, I have to constantly be thinking about my macros and daily intake and have discipline, it's annoying.

Tenks

When I was younger I'd poise a question to people if they had the ability to never eat and never be hungry again but you'd never be able to taste anything ever again would you do it? My answer would be absolutely. I get very little enjoyment from eating and honestly constantly having to eat is a gigantic hassle. Other people really get enjoyment from eating and flavors are a huge part of their life.

Khane

I blame my mother for my struggles. She has admitted that she severely overfed me as a kid. I remember eating 2 sandwiches at lunch by the time I was 10. I wasn't supremely fat because I played every sport in existence and road my bike all day after school but I was still a husky little chicken nugget lookin fucker.

Tenks

Yeah my wife is the same way. She was clearly raised on being part of the clean plate club. Every night for dinner it looks like the plate wasn't even used and I still have scraps of food and uneaten bits everywhere. I have to remind her that if she's not hungry then just stop eating. I'm not going to ground her for not eating all her spaghetti and hot dogs.

Khane

Yeah my wife is the same way. She was clearly raised on being part of the clean plate club. Every night for dinner it looks like the plate wasn't even used and I still have scraps of food and uneaten bits everywhere. I have to remind her that if she's not hungry then just stop eating. I'm not going to ground her for not eating all her spaghetti and hot dogs.
I think this is honestly a big problem. And if I ever do have kids I have told myself I will never force them to finish their food. If I don't want my children to be wasteful I won't fill their plates with more food than they can eat.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I think this is honestly a big problem. And if I ever do have kids I have told myself I will never force them to finish their food. If I don't want my children to be wasteful I won't fill their plates with more food than they can eat.
This is one thing Asians do, is more of on-demand eating rather than set mealtimes/amounts. Kids come and say "I'm hungry" we make them a plate of something. If they aren't hungry, they don't eat. Much more natural I think than "eat breakfast at 8, lunch at 12, dinner at 6 regardless of hunger" and pile a bunch of shit on there. The downside is we rarely eat all together but it works out. They also end up eating more actual food when they are hungry rather than snacks to stave off hunger until "meal time."

Tenks

I think both ways can work. I grew up on structured meal times and I'm not renting a rascal at the mall. You also have to take accountability as an adult. My "I hate being full" thing really only occurred when I was maybe 19. Prior to that I was more than content stuffing my pie hole at buffets. I also drank soda like a fiend as a kid and went off that cold turkey (again around 19) once I realized it is basically liquid poison for your body.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I think both ways can work. I grew up on structured meal times and I'm not renting a rascal at the mall. You also have to take accountability as an adult. My "I hate being full" thing really only occurred when I was maybe 19. Prior to that I was more than content stuffing my pie hole at buffets. I also drank soda like a fiend as a kid and went off that cold turkey (again around 19) once I realized it is basically liquid poison for your body.
So do you think your eating habits are more of a structured psychological response to being disgusted at being fat? Or a physical reaction your body has to food?

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I am part of the 'loves to eat' bandwagon. I enjoy food and eating, clearly a part of why I was so overweight. I had been able to eat until I wasn't hungry when doing keto type diets very well. Recently, moving to a more traditional diet (carbs), I have been having cravings and 'episodes' again where I start to lose control. I can manage it better now than when I was larger, but occasionally I will effectively turn into a hoover vacuum for food, good or bad food. The upside is that my triggers don't seem to be depression / stress related like the used to be. The downside is I have to discover what my new triggers are as it is usually just one small thing and then 'collapse'. Halloween was bad, I made it all the way until about an hour before I was going to go to bed. Then, "just one piece of candy". A half a bag of candy later, I went to bed, oof.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm pretty much a garbage disposal. If I didn't lift every day I'm confident I'd have mantits, some love handles, and a gut.

I'm bulking right now so I'm sure I'll get there soon!

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I can't watch my favorite TV shows without eating junk food. Basically, when I sit down to watch Flash and Arrow I'm guaranteed to take in at least a few thousand calories. I took in around 4500 calories worth of pizza rolls, Mike and Ikes, and Doritos last week because of TV.

Game of Thrones every spring almost kills me.

Khane

Sounds like me with cigarettes when Mad Men was on. I couldn't watch that show without chain smoking.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
The New Approach to Training Volume Strengtheory

Here is an article I read a few months back, that kind of got me to switch over from continuing to increase the weight of my dumbbells and instead switch up to increasing the number of reps, and trying to increase the number of sets I do per workout. (back in january I was doing 3 sets of 8-12 reps with the heaviest weight I could successfully do that, increasing the weight whenever I could hit 15x3).

I appear to still be gaining muscle mass / hypertrophy in my arms and shoulders, and yes, my muscle endurance has definitely increased.

I still occasionally (maybe once every other week) do exercises with my heavier adjustable dumbbells (up to 90lbs x 2 for dumbbell deadlifts, but for most of my workouts I'm just continuing to use the standard 40lb hex dumbbell just because of the simplicity/ease of keeping it next to my bed)

And yes, I've switched back my diet to a slow cutting/maintenance diet. I am gaining a lot of definition again in my upper chest, although the gut is still there.