Weight Loss Thread

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Was doing great yesterday. 2 chicken legs. A diet root beer. Was done for the day.

I went to the movies and broke.

I had a small bag of popcorn. Like 3 of those tiny ass movie theatre steak and cheese wraps. A pretzel and a small pepsi!

I'm sorrrrrrry! I feel like shit now! But goddamn I swear that pretzel tasted like filet mignon!

It's out my system...

My scale supposedly got delivered yesterday. Going to yell at Amazon, because I can't find it.

EDIT: Aaaaand it was actually in the mailbox. Thing is tiny.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
People break down or have bad days. No big deal. Just important that you don't let it impact you going forward. Don't use today's cheat as an excuse to be weak tomorrow. Every time you go to make a meal or have a snack or whatever, it's an opportunity to make a positive choice, no matter what happened yesterday. etc etc boring platitudes etc. But it's true.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I would agree. I'm just saying, given the data we have is true, it isn't so wild to suggest just totally upending her routine and seeing what happens.
It's like saying, I have no idea how much gas I'm putting in my car, how far I drive or what mpg I get, but I'm pissed I spend too much on gas so I want to try putting more gas in, maybe that'll help.

Until you have a handle on what you're putting in, the rest of this is just bullshit. And if she's really eating 1000 calories and she doesn't weigh 80lbs, she'd be losing weight. Period.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
She's also doing cardio at a stress level in which she can multi task. That's not really accomplishing anything that drinking 1 less soda (for example) during the day wouldn't accomplish.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Personally, that's why I don't value "cardio" that much. My weekly routine consists of 5 days of lifting, week, 2 30 minute sessions of low intensity cycling, and 3 high intensity stationary bike sprint sessions (I've started replacing 1 session with regular sprinting with 20 seconds of rest between reps). I'd do high intensity all 5 days if I thought I could handle it. I can multitask during the low intensity stuff, but I can barely function during the rest periods of the high intensity stuff.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Overweight people need to prioritize cardio. Yes, lifting weights will definitely help. But, cardio helps more.

Not sure why people are suggesting to not prioritize cardio for losing weight, just because it's not as easy or fun.
People don't suggest to smokers to just "not smoke." Theeasynessandfunnessof a task influences success rate.

Because the health benefits associated with cardio also come from weight training.

Because fatties aren't running that far; fat people don't regularly drop 1k calories on the treadmill, towel off, and go eat a light dinner.

Because the weight will come off regardless of exercise if they adhere to their diet, and the weight will stay on despite their exercise if they don't.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I agree. FU YOU AND CALLING ME A CONTRARIAN!

There, got that out.

Diet > Everything. Period.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Ok...This is weird. I broke 291 and I am now down to 289. Nothing on my end changed. Matter of fact I fell off the wagon at the movies!

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Ok...This is weird. I broke 291 and I am now down to 289. Nothing on my end changed. Matter of fact I fell off the wagon at the movies!
As I said before, your weight won't linearly rise and fall with your eating that day or whatever. It's more like a 14-day running average of your intake/outtake especially if you're cutting at a 1-1.5lb/wk rate like you should be. If you just suddenly stopped eating your weight would plummet like you'd expect.

Also, at your weight a 2lb change is less than 1% of the total and scales aren't that accurate. There's a reasonable error margin. Also make sure you're weighing at the same time each day (I recommend first thing in the morning after you piss) and record it (myfitnesspal!) and you'll be able to watch the trend.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
As I said before, your weight won't linearly rise and fall with your eating that day or whatever. It's more like a 14-day running average of your intake/outtake especially if you're cutting at a 1-1.5lb/wk rate like you should be. If you just suddenly stopped eating your weight would plummet like you'd expect.

Also, at your weight a 2lb change is less than 1% of the total and scales aren't that accurate. There's a reasonable error margin. Also make sure you're weighing at the same time each day (I recommend first thing in the morning after you piss) and record it (myfitnesspal!) and you'll be able to watch the trend.
Will do.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People don't suggest to smokers to just "not smoke." Theeasynessandfunnessof a task influences success rate.

Because the health benefits associated with cardio also come from weight training.

Because fatties aren't running that far; fat people don't regularly drop 1k calories on the treadmill, towel off, and go eat a light dinner.

Because the weight will come off regardless of exercise if they adhere to their diet, and the weight will stay on despite their exercise if they don't.
I'm sure I'll hurt some feelings, but; this is a big reason why a lot of people don't get the results they say they want. Simple lack of effort and/or willpower to do what's necessary and difficult. Not saying this is always the case, but I've seen it a lot.

I get that everyone is different. I get that a lot of people don't like cardio (I don't either). But, it works better than other activities (not BS like the sitting bike. Do the stair machine, treadmill, or rowing machine). And yes, diet is #1 and if it isn't a healthy diet, the rest doesn't really matter.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Dude, I weigh myself every week. Two weeks ago I gained a lb. Last week I lost 1.3. This week, I lost 4. I'm eating almost exactly the same thing during the week, with variations on the weekend. And this was a heavy weekend. The body is a crazy, fucked up place. Just go with it and make sure the long term trend is down.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I use a fitbit aria and it surprises me when i look back at my records. Here's a sample of when I started working out. I was about the same weight for almost a month.. and even gained some at one point. It's okay to note of your day to day, just don't hit yourself over the head if you gain some. For one, it's probably water weight from too much sodium or carb for the last couple of days. I gain hella weight if I drink beer, but lose it the next couple of days when I go back to my normal diet.

UdYnrXL.jpg

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Listened to him again; I'm going to say that these girls who are dieting at 1000 (he says 800 at one point) and working out for 2 hours a day? Are either lying about their calories over the course of a week or not really aware of what they are eating, regardless of how "damaged" their metabolic rate is. Then he starts talking at 1600 calories and I go "OK, this is probably right!" But the 1000/800 calorie girls not losing weight? They are not accurately reporting their calories/outright fabricating their intake.

I mean it is probably an issue with people who have weight that fluctuates between normal and low body fat%, but if you are legitimately consuming 1000 calories a day and not a sloth? Something is wrong about the numbers being reported.

Edit - Probably came out a little harsh~ I feel like the most likely situation in lindz (and literally every one of those people who report they can't lose weight on 1000 calories + cardio every day) is very similar to Brahmas. It is not understanding the amount of food/calories you are actually consuming on the daily over periods of time. If you only consume 1000 calories in a day and spend 20 minutes a day doing -any- light exercise? If you are above 3 feet tall and 80lbs, you should feel fatigued as shit all the time, ketosis or not, as well as feeling incredibly/debilitatingly hungry. Like, to the point where you have issues doing daily activities. So odds are, you aren't consuming just 1000 calories, and you should spend some time accurately cataloging what you eat each day and try to more accurately calculate your daily caloric intake based upon that catalog. It makes it a lot easier to give meaningful advice.

If you -are- legitimately consuming 1000 calories a day along with even light activity and unable to lose weight? I would recommend seeing a health professional that specializes in dietary nutrition, because you are an incredible outlier that standard science has issues explaining, regardless of what a personal trainer might say.
Nah, it's just they underestimate the amount of cheating they do... A lot of days they DO eat 1000 calories, but 2 days a week they cheat "a little bit" and they go to 1600 (it really doesn't take much to pack on an extra 600 calories) and then a third day they'll have maybe an extra 200 calories over and then another day a week they'll have an "actual" cheat day and eat 2400 calories. And then they don't lose weight because they weigh 120lbs and 1400 calories calories a day... and they think... I only eat a 1000 calories a day and I can't lose weight, I only had 1 cheat day. It's psychology.