What do you do?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Ever use someone as a reference without their knowledge? Friend called me this morning saying soandso put you down as a reference. He never asked. Oddly enough he used an incorrent number for me but the person who requested references knew mine.

I gave him a bad one and would have refused if he had asked. Do people think nobody will check?
I put people down as references all the time without telling them. The difference is that I know they won't mind and that they will give me a good reference if/when someone calls. And yes, I think it's somewhat common to not check references. I've had a few jobs where I provided references that were never checked.

I'd never put someone down as a reference if I didn't think they'd give me a good one, though. That is just stupidity.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have some people from several years ago as references. When I sent out my resume a few weeks ago I called them all up to confirm it was still ok..

Just can't imagine doing it blindly.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I have 4 burner cell phones that I give out as my reference #'s and answer in different tones and accents depending on which one gets called and give myself glowing reviews. Like Mrs. Goddamn Doubtfire

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I just do the references available by request route. Honestly I've never even been asked. I don't see the point in an employer calling people you have pre-screened to give you a glowing review, either.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The industry I work in is pretty tight knit. I wouldn't even put by request tho. I just leave it off until they ask. There's a 99% chance anybody they put down they will know or know someone pretty close to them.

I've asked for a few of them. I don't really call and ask about soandso. It normally gives you a lead as to where to start asking people about them. I wouldn't just call up a person they provide and expect and honest answer. But if they put down Joe Blow. I know who to call that also knows Joe Blow and then work in the possibility of hiring sandso and see what they say. I've gotten lots of negative comments because they don't realise it's a reference.

The last place I applied for they asked if I left in good standing. I made a point of saying that I'm still doing consulting work for them part time. I have no idea if they called.

Most people put what projects they worked on and their job capcity. I'll call around and just shoot the shit and then throw out "Did soandso work on that project too? I was talking to him the other day" and see where that goes.

Borzak

I didn't know anyone who commuted less than 30 minutes except the shop foreman. His mother in law died and left him a house around the corner. He could have walked to work but he said he was afraid a guy from the shop would run over him lol.

I commuted 1-1/2 hours and I would say on average it was 45 minutes or more. While in San Antonio I commuted 3-5 minutes for a short while. Not bad, but too many people for my liking.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
People commute an hour or so. I just spent 4 years with 5 minute commutes and it was glorious. Charleston area you basically live in the hills around the city and descend on it for work... now my shit is moving out in what little suburbia we have.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I have a 4.5 mile commute that takes me about 12 minutes. Sometimes I get caught in 2 straight red lights and it costs me time. Fuckers.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I already commute an hour each way. Some people are appalled but I basically listen to ebooks on a single highway the entire time so it's not big deal for me. Ideally a 5 minute commute would be incredible though, as 2 hours of my day back each day would do wonders for my work life balance.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I already commute an hour each way. Some people are appalled but I basically listen to ebooks on a single highway the entire time so it's not big deal for me. Ideally a 5 minute commute would be incredible though, as 2 hours of my day back each day would do wonders for my work life balance.
I would definitely murder people if I had to commute that far. Your time is worth more than that, broski.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If you work it out at 55 cents a mile and whatever your rate is it will equal depression.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
I'm fine with a longer commute as long as it's not stop and go. My current commute is 30-40 minutes but it's all highway with one slow down for a toll booth which is being upgraded now to a non-slow down type. My wife on the other hand has to take all back roads (shorter distance than me) and commutes nearly an hour in stop and go traffic, fuck that noise.

The tolls are what annoy me, if I don't take the toll roads my commute would be over an hour. With tolls before my frequent user discount, I average about $25 a week in tolls.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
My commute right now is about 45 mins one day, 60 mins the other. Rush hour sucks.

My wife has it much worse. She commutes over an hour in the morning, and nearly 90 minutes most evenings. Part of this is because she's distracted all the time and can't keep to a schedule if her life depended on it, but it's also just shitty traffic. Atlanta is the worst.

Borzak

I didn't have any traffic for most of the drive. The big drawback was the I-10 bridge in town over the MS river. It would take on average 30 minutes to go 2 miles to cross it. Only part of I-10 between CA and FL where it necks down to one lane exiting the bridge to stay on I-10. If I left at 3:20 it took an hour to get home. If I left at 3:30 it took 1-1/2 hours. If I left at 3:35 it took 2 hours. Office was at base of bridge.

100 miles and most of it I drove going 80mph. I guess the price you pay for having worked at home for a decade. I don't know anyone who lives in Baton Rouge that works in Baton Rouge any more. The entire town packed up and moved out of the parish following Katrina. All 3 of the people who worked in my department drove in from MS as did I. 10 years ago the town my sister lives in that is a suburb of Baton Rouge had a few hundred tops and 1 stop light. Now it's 30,000 peole and it takes a half hour to get from stop light to stop light.

Mardi Gras weekend you would see it start backing up on Friday before lunch and would stay that way till Sunday.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I would definitely murder people if I had to commute that far. Your time is worth more than that, broski.
Well the problem is Boston (and outside cities) is basically a booming tech hub now. If you want to work in MA in tech you need to commute to Boston or live there. Living in Boston is ridiculous (I think Vinen said his house/condo was $600k+). I mean even living south of boston my house is $265k. My only option is to commute, either by the rail or car.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Well the problem is Boston (and outside cities) is basically a booming tech hub now. If you want to work in MA in tech you need to commute to Boston or live there. Living in Boston is ridiculous (I think Vinen said his house/condo was $600k+). I mean even living south of boston my house is $265k. My only option is to commute, either by the rail or car.
You just made me incredibly grateful that I wasn't asked to relocate to Boston.