Why all the Emulated EQ servers if EQ is free to play?

kudos

<Banned>
So your plan looks like this:

Server A- current blue server

Server B- new blue progression server

1. Open Server B after Velious launch.

2. Run Server B through the progressions to a certain point in Velious.

3. Merge Server B with Server A.

4. Restart a fresh Server B, rinse, repeat.

Is that correct?
The only problem I see with P99 doing this is that they don't have a large enough community to make both servers able to sustain themselves. It will be one or the other imo.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Well keep in mind that P99 has a TON of ex-players that quit because they hit the level cap and basically had their fill but you can only play around in the same expac for so long before you move on. If they launched a new server, it would be crowded as fuck I'm sure. When red launched, some people played both, so while the low level content might become a ghost town on the older server, I'm certain the raid content will be consumed just fine.

imijj_sl

shitlord
This has actually been our plan for several years and has been stated as such several times on our forums. In order to enact that plan, we have to first get to Velious. Once we've been in Velious long enough, that second server will begin.
Only problem with that is the amount of usable names is going to get smaller and smaller.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Only problem with that is the amount of usable names is going to get smaller and smaller.
If that's the worst problem they face we have nothing to worry about. Not only is this the same problem any single shard game faces, but there are ways of resolving it, such as server purges etc.

Rogean hasn't confirmed that the above is the plan yet, but I am absolutely 100% sure if it is the plan they will have more than enough people to field at least Server A and Server B.

imijj_sl

shitlord
If that's the worst problem they face we have nothing to worry about. Not only is this the same problem any single shard game faces, but there are ways of resolving it, such as server purges etc.

Rogean hasn't confirmed that the above is the plan yet, but I am absolutely 100% sure if it is the plan they will have more than enough people to field at least Server A and Server B.
If they released a new server the original one would become a ghost town. It'd be like Red where people just log in to kill dragons.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
If they released a new server the original one would become a ghost town. It'd be like Red where people just log in to kill dragons.
You're missing the point of this setup. The point of the setup isn't to have two static EQ servers with high populations. The point is to provide a sustainable way to restart a progression server every couple of years. Starting on a new server and going through the content progressively is the best part of EQ. If you only have one server, there is no way to do that without server wipes, which no one wants.

Of course when Server B opens up, Server A will take a big population hit. But some guilds/people will stay on Server A so they can finish content that is now available that was previously constantly occupied. Also, some people will start on the new progression server, get bored with the time-consuming and difficult process of starting fresh on a new server, and go back to their established characters on A.

Ultimately the point of Server A is to be a repository for characters who have gone through Server B, but also a static Velious-era server where people who want to log on and dick around can do so at any time. Plus, there will always be guilds and people who enjoy the idea of a low population/ low competition server.

It's win/win all the way.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The only problem I see with P99 doing this is that they don't have a large enough community to make both servers able to sustain themselves. It will be one or the other imo.
P99 was fine 4 years ago with 600 people in primetime. If both servers can sustain that, I think they will be fine... BUT that was vanilla only so who knows what the addition for Kunark and Velious means.

and honestly, even when 800+ people are on, so many zones are still empty or feel empty, so even 1 server with 1200+ people and Kunark + Velious, I still think it will feel like a ghost town for a lot of people.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I'd like to imagine total population would get a pretty big bump in size with the release of a new server. While I like P99 more than anything else out there I rarely play because of how long the server has been up and stuck in Kunark. Something fresh would probably get myself and others playing or even starting up for the first time because of the freshness.

kudos

<Banned>
P99 was fine 4 years ago with 600 people in primetime. If both servers can sustain that, I think they will be fine... BUT that was vanilla only so who knows what the addition for Kunark and Velious means.

and honestly, even when 800+ people are on, so many zones are still empty or feel empty, so even 1 server with 1200+ people and Kunark + Velious, I still think it will feel like a ghost town for a lot of people.
Most of original EQ was empty also.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Did SOE put the clamps on Elidroth from partaking in this thread? lol Found this to be one of the more interesting threads posted in a while.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
He had to get back to doing his job of making new AA for EQ that he claims will release by the end of May.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
He had to get back to doing his job of making new AA for EQ that he claims will release by the end of May.
Beta announcement says they will not be ready for May. Which means the update will be one new zone, which is a tower containing ten floors with the exact same layout.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

it's not really that different today than it was with 600 when 99 started, because half of those 1300 in prime time are max level players in raid zones or in EC tunnel. The number of people in the leveling game is fairly constant, sadly.

kudos

<Banned>
Beta announcement says they will not be ready for May. Which means the update will be one new zone, which is a tower containing ten floors with the exact same layout.
Why even bother at this point? If that's all you can push out just go back and make old content better so people use it again. You've already obliterated the game you should just make what you have better.

Or don't release anything at all and throw everyone on a progression server project. But that's asking too much I guess.

I haven't bothered looking at EQ expansions for a while but if you want to know why your game is overcomplicated and a mess it's because every expansion has a bullshit new "feature" like this:
Heroic Adventures - Mission style content that allow for unique experiences each time you play through them, including a chance at new loot, rares, and currency you can collect and spend at special merchants!
Just stop with this shit.

Make a fucking zone with named mobs that people want to kill. Everquest doesn't even need instances - IT HAS NO PLAYERS TO BEGIN WITH SO WHY WOULD YOU NEED INSTANCES TO SPREAD WHAT LITTLE POPULATION IT HAS INTO SEPARATE PLACES AWAY FROM EACH OTHER? You will never have that community feel again if you keep doing your special mission instances shit over and over and over. Stop it. People want to see other people in the world and they want to see people when they travel from location to location. Loot feels special when you get it from a world mob and not some shitty vendor who gives away his wares to every mouth breather who can throw themselves against an instance enough times.

edit: Reading your forums is hilarious also. Any time someone isn't blowing smoke up your asses you close a thread. How is this not a legitimate thread?403 Forbidden

You're going to close that? Really? Not constructive? How is making a thread about your favorite zone being constructive? How is that helping the game? At least that guy cares enough about the game to worry for it's future. WTF does Roshen even do other than make stupid posts on the forum that he just copies from the Facebook page?

403 Forbidden

That's a thread where people are complaining about not getting their monies worth. I can't blame them after what I'm reading. 1 zone for a $40 expansion? Are you dumb?

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Why even bother at this point? If that's all you can push out just go back and make old content better so people use it again. You've already obliterated the game you should just make what you have better.

Or don't release anything at all and throw everyone on a progression server project. But that's asking too much I guess.

I haven't bothered looking at EQ expansions for a while but if you want to know why your game is overcomplicated and a mess it's because every expansion has a bullshit new "feature" like this:
Just stop with this shit.

Make a fucking zone with named mobs that people want to kill. Everquest doesn't even need instances - IT HAS NO PLAYERS TO BEGIN WITH SO WHY WOULD YOU NEED INSTANCES TO SPREAD WHAT LITTLE POPULATION IT HAS INTO SEPARATE PLACES AWAY FROM EACH OTHER? You will never have that community feel again if you keep doing your special mission instances shit over and over and over. Stop it. People want to see other people in the world and they want to see people when they travel from location to location. Loot feels special when you get it from a world mob and not some shitty vendor who gives away his wares to every mouth breather who can throw themselves against an instance enough times.

edit: Reading your forums is hilarious also. Any time someone isn't blowing smoke up your asses you close a thread. How is this not a legitimate thread?403 Forbidden

You're going to close that? Really? Not constructive? How is making a thread about your favorite zone being constructive? How is that helping the game? At least that guy cares enough about the game to worry for it's future. WTF does Roshen even do other than make stupid posts on the forum that he just copies from the Facebook page?

403 Forbidden

That's a thread where people are complaining about not getting their monies worth. I can't blame them after what I'm reading. 1 zone for a $40 expansion? Are you dumb?
Heroic's have level scaling in them like LDoN so level 85 group gets a instance with mobs scaled to level 85. Then you have mission objective variance where mission has six random objective points and each of those points have four separate potential objective choices for that point along with a few fixxed objective points that are always the same. The above goals of randomizing mission to increase replayability and most importantly level scaling to allow non high level players the ability to use newest expansions content are not something I think so will walk away from.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
You shut down the only server that was remotely close to a good classic experience instead of expending on it. Lost cause is lost. Long live the emus.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
A better question is: Why all the EQ Devs if EQ sucks ass these days?

Hmm, Eli?
tongue.png