Why was the Civil War fought?

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
1872 for DC as a district, city of Washington was 1791.

So I was right and wrong on DC, it was the city of Washington back then with DC not encompassing anything else. After it included the district.

Such a weird little place.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
except you're a dumbass. States that had similar economies to northern states and weren't even remotely southern in culture had slavery. (Maryland, Delaware and D.C.)
Lol, I could show you some places in Maryland and Delaware....

And you should get a load of the Washington Redskins fanbase sometime. Its like the south will rise again. Those states were essentially borderline, Maryland and Delaware are literally ON the Mason-Dixon line so it stands to reason there would be a split. they are also divided among more urban/industrial areas and other more rural/agricultural areas.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
The Republican party arose out of a growing abolishionist sentiment in the north, although they generally took a long view of taking care of slavery (prevent its spread to new states, then gradually free slaves while financially compensating their owners, shit like that, rather than just up and abolishing it in one day). Southerners generally looked at Republicans as an insane fringe group (think a liberal Tea Party), and so started increasingly freaking out that they were actually gaining traction in the north. This hit its peak when Lincoln was elected, as the south felt that if a Republican could be elected president, it was only at matter of time before the government kicked down their doors and stole their slaves.

Of course, only the upper class had slaves in any real numbers, but the lower class still considered slavery part of their culture, and saw "slave" as the proper station for blacks; freeing blacks would theoretically put blacks on the same level as lower-class whites, which couldn't be stood.

The south decided to preempt what they saw as the now-inevitable move to abolish slavery by seceding for the US. The language for seeing the issue of slavery as a matter for states to decide had already been fairly well established by this point, so the southern states used the violation of that states' right as the basis for secession.

Of course, the US had military bases located in the south, which were still occupied by the US Army. Confederate troops eventually managed to forcefully push northern troops out of Fort Sumpter, and that attack on a US fort served as the official reason for declaring war. In the north, the rhetoric initially focused on preventing what was seen as an illegal secession from the US, with slavery coming into it somewhat later.

So, to sum up, the south fought the Civil War to preserve slavery, while the north fought to prevent secession and then thought to themselves, "you know, as long as we're here..."

How'd I do?

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
it was started by British aristocracy who made segregation into law despite slim or small racism on the ground. I think it started during colonial era where they made it illegal for blacks to own firearms and shit, despite the fact that revolution that came beforehand was started by a healthy mix of Africans, runaway indenture servants (whites), natives and shit.

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Civil War was about Kentucky declaring it's allegiance to the North right? Or are my sources wrong....?

iannis

Musty Nester
I know it's racist but I wouldn't want a black slave.
I know what you mean, but you have to consider the benefits as well.

For one. It's really easy to tell who the masters are.

You have to brand white slaves, and that's just adding to the overhead now isn't it. I mean you have to budget for the branding iron AND you have to budget for fire.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
i wait for the day when yellow people can own white people on this great land we call murica.

iannis

Musty Nester
The only people that make worse slaves than white people are the Jews.

When that day comes don't pay more than five dollar.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
What else are you supposed to do when you don't have the internet?