Wii U and 3DS jailbreak

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Can you still just download everything from the eShop on Wii-U? I thought I remembered that.

Siliconemelons

Can you still just download everything from the eShop on Wii-U? I thought I remembered that.

As you can tell I am not the authority on this... but I think what that statement of "getting everything from the eShop" is not that you get it via the app, eshop - or via its interface - but the utik downloader thing when it downloads the game- it is actually getting it from the nintendo eshop servers?

or I am completely wrong haha

But I am very much enjoying Zelda - wife is going to make me buy it 2belegit lol ;-)

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, Wii U has uTikDownloadHelper that downloads from Nintendo servers to PC, then you copy to USB to install with WUP Installer y mod.

The 3DS has a fake eShop frontend that you download directly from, at speeds that wouldn't even saturate the DSL service I had back in 2000. (Not the fault of the app, it's just as bad when you buy something legit.)

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Is there a good guide on this? Seems this was removed from the general jailbreak guide. I'd rather not brick my $200 zelda machine.

*hm...this seems easier than I thought.

Last edited:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
uTik just hangs on getting metadata for me. Will fiddle with it this week some more.

Vorph

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Goal this weekend is to hack the 3ds! Have a new job and will be traveling a lot for the first 6 months. Toss up between gaming laptop or the 3ds to bring with me. 3ds if hacked, might win out.

So couple minor things I've already ran into... not a good sign I suppose...

For the 3DS, how big of an SD does it require? None of the guides say it needs something huge, but I have no idea. I've got the 4gb one that came with the 3DS, and wanted to use just that for now. New one is on the way from Amazon though.

Also, when I try and go to the eShop, it won't let me go there without a system update. I don't want to update my system, as then I won't be able to get CFW on it, at least that's my understanding. So with CFW installed, I assume I'll then be able to go to the eShop to get games?

After you get it all hacked install freEshop and you wont need the Nintendo one. I used a 16gb to hack it up then found that it didnt store nearly enough games so upgraded to 64gb.

porkchop sandwiches

Potato del Grande
I keep going back and forth on whether I want to do this or not. Having a Nintendo console with all of these games sounds amazing to me. I have a few questions that aren't answered in the guide, or at least I couldn't find it.

-what does the red text/games indicate on the tik downloader?

-Should you check DLC/Update when downloading a game or just download the base game? How does update work...like if you already have the game installed and you want to update, will it only install the updated files?

-I consider myself slightly tech savy, but a total noob to the homebrew/modding scene. I'm that asshole that just throws money at something to get it legit instead of going through the hassle - but I really want this to work. I am able to follow the flimflam's guide all the way up to step 2 - Home · FlimFlam69/WiiUTutorial Wiki · GitHub but then I get kind of lost. Mostly because all of the steps (other than the brazillian method from step 6) state optional and also reference programs/software with random fucking names that make no sense to someone not familiar with them. The fact that all these steps are labeled optional is kind of confusing to me as they seem to be the core of the homebrew setup (other than the kernal exploit).

-is an external hdd needed or can I just get a sd card to install the games directly on the Wii U?

-and finally, I've never actually played a Wii U :p How does the game pad screen work...like can you play actual games on that like it was a 3DS or is it only used to compliment Wii U gameplay?

edit: just bit the bullet and ordered a wii u refurb from the link that spronk posted. The opportunity is just too great. Here's to hoping I can figure this shit out :)

Last edited:

Vorph

1. Red=Fakesign. If you install it you can only run it with Haxchi/Mocha CFW. This is not a problem or anything, as you should be running them pretty much always.

2. Download it all. Update works just like getting a patch for any other console. Install the game, install the update, install the DLC. Order doesn't matter from what I understand, but I always do the game first.

3. IMO the only optional step is coldboot Haxchi, and I don't think it's worth the bother. Loadiine, Saviine, and Nnupatcher simply aren't needed at all. Also, now that I'm looking at the updated guide, he's telling people to do extra stuff they probably don't give a shit about. There's no reason to mess with disc2app because everyone still uses Brazilian method to install even if the guide tries to pretend it doesn't exist. And unless you want to play vWii games, forget about WUPHax and HackMii too.

4. Internal storage will probably work even though they recommend against using it, but you've only got like 25GB to work with anyway. There's some games that don't even fit with DLC/Updates installed. I highly recommend getting a HD, or at least a 128GB thumb drive (have not tested this myself, but some people on gbatemp/reddit say it works ok).

5. Some games can be played on it. Some games use it like the bottom screen of a 3DS. Some just don't use it at all.

Last edited:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The only thing I have to add to what Vorph said is had to d/l on uTick one at a time. If I try to get the base, dlc, and update it only grabs like half of it. So just done one by one.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah the order you install doesn't matter, each game is one folder, each update is a seperate folder, and the DLC also takes up yet another folder. copy all 3 to the /install folder on your SD card, run WUP Mod Y from the homebrew launcher on your wii u, press + on the gamepad to select all, then X to install to your USB drive on the wii u. It takes a long time, but install order doesn't matter the app will just chug through them all.

for those who did the 3ds jailbreak, you can update to 11.3 (system update) no problem, there really isn't any reason to though other than getting rid of the update nag screen. DONT do an update to 11.3 if you have NOT installed CFW on your 3ds, once you do you cannot install CFW. If you already have CFW you can run it just fine under 11.3, but you cannot install CFW on a clean 3ds if it is running 11.3. I just ran luma3ds to update to the hourly build, ran FBI and selected titleDB and then homebrew_launcher to update it to the latest version, then did the system update from within the nintendo system tools, and everything is just fine. Again though, no real reason to do it all 11.3 did was break a bunch of hacking entry points.

If you want to hack your NES classic mods, hacks, and improvements to extend the NES classic • r/nesclassicmods has the info, its far easier than wii u or 3ds, takes literally 5 minutes and a PC with a usb cable.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So are they planning on fixing the jailbreak?

Pretty sure if they had competent engineers they wouldn't be in this problem in the first place. I mean really jailbreak ok whatever, but giving you access to the entire site library is so negligent it's silly.

Rabkorik

Silver Knight of the Realm
I've been considering doing this with my Wii U. Does it make sense to remove account details before doing it or does it really matter?

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
So are they planning on fixing the jailbreak?

If they were planning on fixing it you'd think they would have done it before Zelda came out. At this point I think they are just assuming what's done is done and not messing with it.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I can get not fixing the jailbreak, but like Palum said, why the fuck aren't they fixing their store? Shit is bananas.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I can get not fixing the jailbreak, but like Palum said, why the fuck aren't they fixing their store? Shit is bananas.
I have read that they would have to recode their entire store from scratch to fix it. Just fundamentally the way they did it is completely unsecure.