Wii U and 3DS jailbreak

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Nintendo is fucking incompetent when it comes to anything online.

I think they just thought that being Nintendo would allow them to just get by with the barebones stuff they've always done and its taken them a long time to catch up because of it. It reminds me quite a bit of a lot of the PC developers that just went the way of the dodo when things switched from 2D to 3D, they just weren't prepared. Nintendo just has had a lot more leeway which is why they haven't completely gone tits up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm not a developer but it seems like some halfass authentication in front of the store interface would solve this. You don't even have to authenticate the user, just the MAC or something. b-a-n-a-n-a-s

I guess even with the ease of use it probably stll isn't costing them enough money to make it a priority.

porkchop sandwiches

Potato del Grande
3. IMO the only optional step is coldboot Haxchi, and I don't think it's worth the bother. Loadiine, Saviine, and Nnupatcher simply aren't needed at all. Also, now that I'm looking at the updated guide, he's telling people to do extra stuff they probably don't give a shit about. There's no reason to mess with disc2app because everyone still uses Brazilian method to install even if the guide tries to pretend it doesn't exist. And unless you want to play vWii games, forget about WUPHax and HackMii too.

Thanks for the help guys. I am currently downloading all my games (and dls/updates) from tik downloader while I wait for my Wii u to come. Got all of the zeldas and marios last night, damn that was a lot of games. So with the quoted above - I do or don't need Loadliine, Saviine, and Nnupatcher? I don't see those mentioned at all in the guide, just briefly in the FAQ. the Coldboot I understand is for booting right into the homebrew instead of booting up the Wii, selecting the homebrew and then rebooting. I could see why that is optional. No interest in vWii and will be skipping the disc2app step and using tik downloader instead. That leaves steps 4 and 5 -

step 4 - HaxchiFW - What does this do exactly? The explanation says "We'll be installing Haxchi to run homebrew off the system menu. But we won't be launching just any kind of homebrew - because we're going to boot into Haxchi's built in custom firmware that I like to call, HaxchiFW. This will then allow us to install the Homebrew Launcher Channel directly to our system menu, so we won't have to use a network to get into the Homebrew Launcher again.". Does that mean that this just allows you to launch into the homebrew from the menu vs using the web browser?

step 5 - redNAND & Mocha CFW - I understand what redNAND does (putting system's memory on an sd card) but it sounds risky and something I wouldn't want to fuck with. Plus it sounds like I'd need another SD card to dedicate to it since the other one is used for transferring games over. I have no clue what Mocha CFW is and the guide doesn't really explain what it is. It just gives two sets of instructions for installing it with and without Haxchi, which from the above step I'm not 100% sure what that is doing either :eek:

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I don't use Haxchi.

Mocha just reboots your Wii U menu and allows you to run unsigned code or software from other regions. I have to run it before I play my copy of Zelda (EU) but wouldn't have to bother if I waited to get the US version.

spronk

FPS noob
step 4 - HaxchiFW - What does this do exactly? The explanation says "We'll be installing Haxchi to run homebrew off the system menu. But we won't be launching just any kind of homebrew - because we're going to boot into Haxchi's built in custom firmware that I like to call, HaxchiFW. This will then allow us to install the Homebrew Launcher Channel directly to our system menu, so we won't have to use a network to get into the Homebrew Launcher again.". Does that mean that this just allows you to launch into the homebrew from the menu vs using the web browser?

step 5 - redNAND & Mocha CFW - I understand what redNAND does (putting system's memory on an sd card) but it sounds risky and something I wouldn't want to fuck with. Plus it sounds like I'd need another SD card to dedicate to it since the other one is used for transferring games over. I have no clue what Mocha CFW is and the guide doesn't really explain what it is. It just gives two sets of instructions for installing it with and without Haxchi, which from the above step I'm not 100% sure what that is doing either :eek:

step 4 - yes, running haxchiFW lets you get into homebrew without having to go through the browser exploit every time, saving like 2 minutes every time you boot up your wii u. its totallty worth it and safe but you would need to buy a $7 game (brain age, etc) from the eShop to "take over". The only homebrew I run really is the WUP Mod Installer Y to actually install games downloaded from uTik.

step 5 - if anything redNAND is less risky, since you are dumping your firmware to your SD card and then booting off that from now on, leaving your system firmware untouched forever. If you ever fuck up no big deal, take your SD card out and boot into regular firmware and redo redNAND with a new sd card. You can use a single SD card, it just shrinks by 32gb. I use a 128gb card, which turned into 96gb (90gb really), about 5 gigs of that is used up by various software, leaving me 80 gigs to install games and stuff with. 64gb card would be just fine too but you'd be able to only install 1-2 games at a time, remove card, delete, recopy, etc. After you install all your games though its not like you are gonna do much more with the SD card.

I did the whole kit and caboodle including coldboot, I say why not - there are zero new wii u games coming out, its nice turning on the wii u and booting straight into mocha and being able to run anything without remembering steps to do before. It only adds maybe 20-30 mins of extra file copying.

You don't have to deal with loadiine or nnupatcher at all, I don't think I even copied those things over. utikdownloader is all you need. saviine I think lets you copy save files around. NTR is eventually nice to have if you want to cheat in games or mod them, like adding skins in SSMB or MK8.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I used saviine to backup my EUR Zelda save and inject it into USA Zelda. That was a special case though, which is highly unlikely to ever happen again. Definitely the kind of thing you only install if you actually need to use it.

Padcon is another handy thing to run in homebrew launcher. It lets you press R3 to shut off the gamepad screen and keep it off. It constantly turns itself back on if you just do that the normal way. Nice for saving the battery when playing Zelda, Bayonetta, etc. with a pro controller. It even keeps it off if you're actually using the gamepad too, like for watching Netflix.

porkchop sandwiches

Potato del Grande
step 4 - yes, running haxchiFW lets you get into homebrew without having to go through the browser exploit every time, saving like 2 minutes every time you boot up your wii u. its totallty worth it and safe but you would need to buy a $7 game (brain age, etc) from the eShop to "take over". The only homebrew I run really is the WUP Mod Installer Y to actually install games downloaded from uTik.

step 5 - if anything redNAND is less risky, since you are dumping your firmware to your SD card and then booting off that from now on, leaving your system firmware untouched forever. If you ever fuck up no big deal, take your SD card out and boot into regular firmware and redo redNAND with a new sd card. You can use a single SD card, it just shrinks by 32gb. I use a 128gb card, which turned into 96gb (90gb really), about 5 gigs of that is used up by various software, leaving me 80 gigs to install games and stuff with. 64gb card would be just fine too but you'd be able to only install 1-2 games at a time, remove card, delete, recopy, etc. After you install all your games though its not like you are gonna do much more with the SD card.

I did the whole kit and caboodle including coldboot, I say why not - there are zero new wii u games coming out, its nice turning on the wii u and booting straight into mocha and being able to run anything without remembering steps to do before. It only adds maybe 20-30 mins of extra file copying.

You don't have to deal with loadiine or nnupatcher at all, I don't think I even copied those things over. utikdownloader is all you need. saviine I think lets you copy save files around. NTR is eventually nice to have if you want to cheat in games or mod them, like adding skins in SSMB or MK8.

Thanks for following up. I have 6 days until my Wii U gets here so I'm trying to figure all of this out beforehand. I just ordered a 1tb hdd, 64gb SD, Y-cable, and the sd to usb converter for my pc. Still having confusion figuring out how haxchiFW and Mocha CFW go together, if at all. But it sounds like I need one of them in order to run fake signed games. Should I just skip steps 3 and 5 altogether and install Mocha CFW via step 4 ("Installing Mocha CFW (without Haxchi/ redNAND)" section). I might do the Mocha/redNAND combination but the fact that he warns you that redNAND could brick your system kinda makes me nervous.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Dumb question. More than likely I'm going to immediately jump into Zelda before I bother hacking this thing. I've got it all set up for that though. That said, will I be able to just pop the disc in and play my save post-hacking? It sounded like "yes."

spronk

FPS noob
yes, disc games use the same saves as digital so you can progress no problem. i'd still do the CFW first though and then just install the digital version of the game, leave the physical copy unopened because
(1) you never know if nintendo will issue a firmware update to prevent the jailbreak and if you accidently update you are hosed
(2) they may get quite rare as nintendo seems to have created too few
(3) the game will run slightly faster off usb HD than disc
(4) you can install the extra DLC (or buy it i guess) with utik which gives some extra costumes and stuff
(5) you would have access to mods and stuff in case someone comes out with something extremely useful

• 1Like

Caeden

All excellent points. I think I'll do a router block for Nintendo's servers as mentioned in the guide, too.

Appreciate the help. This community is nothing but helpful assholes!

Also, if you look at the brick list on the Wiki, it's almost all from people doing the coldboot. I'd say avoid that for now and you're golden.

Rabkorik

Silver Knight of the Realm
This has probably been already asked but when using uTikDownloadHelper I see a bunch of games in red. I assume these are Wii games. With the jailbreak can these games be ran as well?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
This has probably been already asked but when using uTikDownloadHelper I see a bunch of games in red. I assume these are Wii games. With the jailbreak can these games be ran as well?
Yes, the jailbreak plays them. Red means they are VC or DLC basically and tied to an account. In order to play those, you need to boot into the custom firmware(haxchi in my case). If you do redNAND, however, I don't think the VC games will work.

Caeden

Considering I'm looking at a bunch of the VC Wii games and the like, I'm probably skipping Rednand for the time being. I think you can boot around it when you want but meh. My understanding is if it's red in the ticket downloader, it can't play via rednand

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Yup, I didn't do rednand and just boot into haxchi.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wii U jailbreak and vWii hacking are two entirely separate things. You can't do the vWii stuff in redNAND but all that means is that you don't click on Haxchi when you want to play a VC game.

And red text in uTik just means the item is fakesigned and has to be run under CFW to work. Any Wii games you see in uTik are NOT the same as what they are talking about for vWii hacking. They use a standalone emu wrapper which runs fine under Mocha (according to spronk early in this thread; I haven't tested them myself because I haven't got nunchuks).

spronk

FPS noob
no, thats not what red text means. red means the game won't play off sysnand, thats all, it requires a CFW - either mocha or haxchi. Haxchi lets you run games in your region, mocha is required to run games in other regions. Any game with DLC requires Mocha to run (thats why the title may be black, which means sysnand can run it, but the DLC will be red, which means the DLC requires mocha). If you try to run the DLC game with sysnand it'll just say update data is corrupt when you start it.

VC games work fine off rednand, they are just regular wii u games running inside a wii u emulator.

vWii games do NOT, even Wii games you download with uTik like Super Mario Galaxy or other wii games. Its not a huge deal though, just boot into regular sysnand and those vWii games will run just fine. When I installed rednand and coldboot I didn't turn on the auto boot option, so every time my wii u starts up I have to choose system firmware (sysnand) or Mocha (CFW). If I choose sysnand I can play all the vWii games, for all the wii u games I choose mocha boot.

The reasons people bricked their wii u during the coldboot install is either because haxchi wasn't working and they went ahead anyways, haxchi was on their USB drive NOT their internal 32gb memory (not the SD card, the actual Wii U internal sysnand memory), they had a fake SD card (very common if you buy on ebay, etc) that gets corrupt past 8gb, or they delete haxchi after coldboot is installed by accident. Thats why its important to follow every step and not skip stuff, like they have you disconnect the USB drive during coldboot install just to make sure haxchi is running internal.

• 1Solidarity

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Ah, my bad. vWii games were the ones that were screwing me up.

Maybe I'll redo rednand and install cold boot then.

Caeden

Well now I am. I think it must just be a vocab problem though because you both have me convinced of something.

spronk

FPS noob
You're replying to Soy and Caeden here right? Just so no one gets confused.

yeah sorry that was confusing i was replying at the same time you were. you are right and saying the same thing i am, red text just means the title is fake signed and requires a CFW to run.