Wii U and 3DS jailbreak

Rabkorik

Silver Knight of the Realm
What's the scoop with going online with the Wii U after jailbreaking? For instance, I own Splatoon legally. Is it safe to go online with Splatoon while running mocha cfw? Is it safe to go online with any game under mochoa cfw or normal?

spronk

FPS noob
if there are no game updates (and there really haven't been... for anything) then its pretty safe. there is a theoretical possibility that they could issue a game update to try to find mocha/rednand/etc hooks, almost all of them are covered up to cloak themselves against detectors but its theoretically possible. the absolute worst that could happen though is you could get banned for online play for that game, that HAS happened to people who have used cheat hacks in SSMB. There is no mechanism in place to brick Wii U's remotely or stop you from playing installed games offline.

i play MK8 online all the time but I boot into system firmware usually when doing it. When you set up rednand just don't turn on autoboot, then every time you start your wii u you either can run system firmware (100% legit wii u), haxchi, mocha, or vWii from the startup boot menu.

remember this hack stuff has been out for a year now, nintendo could have issued a patch at any time to prevent updated/new wii u's from doing it but they have not cared at all. They DID issue a patch for the 3DS about 2 months after it was jail broken to prevent anymore, so they still really care about that platform.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
I've played Splatoon many times without issue, even through the hacked OS. I'd say it's pretty safe to say that either Nintendo can't fix or doesn't care about stopping it.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I THINK there's something wrong with the 'new' guide, I kept getting missing file errors. Used the old guide and I'm good to go.

Too lazy to buy another external HDD + Y cable, so just installed the new Zelda and Mario Party 10 on system memory with no issue whatsoever.

I just want to point out this is such a mean hack, I mean not only does Nintendo lose revenue to piracy, but they're hosting it o_O

porkchop sandwiches

Potato del Grande
I THINK there's something wrong with the 'new' guide, I kept getting missing file errors. Used the old guide and I'm good to go.

Could you point out which part in particular gave you problems? Which old guide did you use? I'm getting my refurb Wii U tomorrow and am about to take the plunge, with me luck! I'm going to do Mocha standalone as it seems that's the quickest route to take if you want to just play fake sign games and you don't care about having to use the browser to reboot.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just use Wii U Guide now. It's a collaboration between the guy who made 3ds.guide and the github that everyone was using before, and has paths for whatever way you want to do the jailbreak.

I still think not installing redNAND is crazy though (and so does the maker of the guide).

porkchop sandwiches

Potato del Grande
ok it sounds like I'm going to do haxchi (which reddit suggested be done in case the browser hack is ever removed) and now mocha cfw with redNAND ....basically everything but the CBHC. wish me luck, waiting on wii u to come in the mail today :)

Lenas

Trump's Staff
So the Switch does actually have a outdated, insecure (surprise!) browser which people have found out how to access and hacks are underway.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Me watching that video:

giphy.gif

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
TL;DR - Old browser version exploit allows people to run their own code on the switch which is the beginning of hax. AKA the same way the Wii U got hacked so Nintendo has learned nothing.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Normally I'd say that I don't think they're losing too much money, but with as easy as the Wii U hack is and the fact that you can download games direct from Nintendo, it's pretty ridonkulous. I still don't think you're seeing huge numbers but yeah, this is very bad.

porkchop sandwiches

Potato del Grande
Well that was easy as hell. Took about an hour or so from setting up the wii u out of box to having haxchi up and running. I have a question for the WUP installer - I know it's been said that updates/dlc can be done in any order, but can you only install 1 thing at once from the sd card \install directory? Can it just take 1 game/update/dlc file collection at one time? The guide said to place to files into the root of the install so I'm assuming it only installs 1 thing at once from there?

Vorph

Put the folders from uTik into the \install directory, then choose which one(s) to install in WUP. You can have as many games in there as your SD card can hold.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Fuck me does RedNand take forever. I'm going to skip the coldboot crap. I'm ready for some goddamn zelda.

YxxanYxxan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Stupid question...

Why wont some of the games show up on the Wup installer?

*Edit*

Had to redownload from uTik.

Last edited:

porkchop sandwiches

Potato del Grande
Put the folders from uTik into the \install directory, then choose which one(s) to install in WUP. You can have as many games in there as your SD card can hold.

yep that worked, thanks. Didn't even realize that you could select folders from WUP. I have about 50 games installed, thanks for the help everyone :)

Edit - I went back to uTikDownloadHelper for seconds and I noticed a few games, i.e. 007 Legends, have the Download button grayed out. Anyone know why that is?

Last edited:

Vorph

If there's no entry in the size column the game was never released digitally on the eShop. 007, all Call of Duty games, Mass Effect 3, etc. If you really want any of those games you could get them from wiiuiso, but you'd have to convert from loadiine format to WUP.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So I can just fill up my install folder with multiple games and run through it? For some reason I thought that was a one at a time deal

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yes. You can have as many games in the install folder as you can fit on your SD card. You can only install one at a time in WUP, but you can have them all in the folder and then just press up/down on the d-pad to change the game directory in WUP installer, once each installation completes. Hit X to install, rinse and repeat.