Wii U

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Thinking about buying this tomorrow. Should I does it? Only thing I'm hesitant about is the controller, and that it might not be fun playing solo. I have 0 use for the second screen thing so that aspect is a waste.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Thinking about buying this tomorrow. Should I does it? Only thing I'm hesitant about is the controller, and that it might not be fun playing solo. I have 0 use for the second screen thing so that aspect is a waste.
Buy the Pro Controlller. Its $50 but worth it. I haven't used the gamepad in well over a year.

nuday

Golden Squire
Metroid prime trill for 10$ is insanely awesome... but wiimote targeting sucks....
I don't think I would say that it sucks, but I remember really loving the wiimote targeting when I played Prime 3, and playing through Prime with it does seem odd. I guess that's mostly because 3 had it from the beginning.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Just picked up the SMB 3D World bundle this weekend. Haven't had a chance to play, but I noticed the sensor bar was in there. I'm guessing that's to be used with the older wiimote only? Also, do any new Wii U games utilize the motion sensor function at all?

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Not sure how the Gamepad does it (either motion tracking like the Wiimote or stereoscopic) but there are definitely games that use it. Wind Waker HD you can aim using motion, for example.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Probably going to pick up another controller as all I have is the gamepad. I'm thinking the nunchuck plus is more versatile than the pro controller for playing new as well as old games?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
IDK both have different spots. Personally if I play with the tablet for an extended time it hurts my thumbs. So in general I use my pro for everything unless forced to use the Wiimote.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Just picked up the SMB 3D World bundle this weekend. Haven't had a chance to play, but I noticed the sensor bar was in there. I'm guessing that's to be used with the older wiimote only? Also, do any new Wii U games utilize the motion sensor function at all?
Captain Toad uses the motion detector in the gamepad to change perspective on the course.

Kirby will rely heavily on the gamepad, but not sure about the motion aspects.

Just Dance makes the most use of the motion sensor. My wife loves it.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
one of the Devs posted/tweeted on the game that it took him 300 hrs to finish ....landscapes look glorious, char models are..meh...

i do know people trying to 100% xenoblade (first one) took on average over 100 hrs

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I've been a PC-only gamer for the past 10ish years (last console I bought was Gamecube) and I've started really missing some comfy couch gaming. I'm thinking of treating myself and picking up a Wii U since I've always been a huge fan of Nintendo's big franchises. I read through the last several pages of this thread for some info but it looks like mostly game-specific talk, so I have a few questions:

Are there any system bundles that are clearly better than others, or maybe a new release on the horizon that I should wait for?
What kind of peripherals/controllers would I be looking at purchasing as well (assuming, at most, two players in the house)?
Are all Wii games playable on the Wii U? My brother has a bunch of old Wii games he never uses that I could steal.

spronk

FPS noob
yes wii games are playable on wii u, either discs or digital. wii games will require a motion controller, they generally won't work with the gamepad. the only accessory i'd buy is a wii u pro controller, its basically a ps3/xbox controller and all the new games work fine with it, the gamepad/motion controller suck for non party games. Wii U doesn't come with a motion controller/nunchuk, only the gamepad.

there aren't any real amazing bundles out right now, you can get a super mario 3d world bundle or something like that but nothing special about it. its possible there may be a xenoblade or zelda LE bundle when those games release this fall, but who knows. The refurb Wii U at $200 is a fantastic deal especially since all the current ones come with digital Super Mario 3D, but its OOS and who knows when it'll come back in stock
Shop Nintendo | Nintendo Online Store

I'd imo get a 500gb-1TB small portable hard drive for the wii u if you are going to buy digital games, the internal flash is not very good and fills up fast (8gb or 32gb). You need a Y USB cable to hook up a USB3 drive, adds an extra $5-10. There are 4 USB ports on the wii u so you won't run out.

I'd start simple and just buy a wii u and a game you want (Smash or Mario Kart 8 or both). Then you can add a pro controller, motion+ and nunchuk, and hard drive if you want. You can also add a Gamecube adapter and 2 GC controllers if you end up spending all your time in SSB (GC controllers only work on that game nothing else).

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I would say that I hope they don't fuck up the Xenogears universe but Xenosaga already did that.

koljec_sl

shitlord
I've been a PC-only gamer for the past 10ish years (last console I bought was Gamecube) and I've started really missing some comfy couch gaming. I'm thinking of treating myself and picking up a Wii U since I've always been a huge fan of Nintendo's big franchises. I read through the last several pages of this thread for some info but it looks like mostly game-specific talk, so I have a few questions:

Are there any system bundles that are clearly better than others, or maybe a new release on the horizon that I should wait for?
What kind of peripherals/controllers would I be looking at purchasing as well (assuming, at most, two players in the house)?
Are all Wii games playable on the Wii U? My brother has a bunch of old Wii games he never uses that I could steal.
I bought a Wii U for Mario 3D World, and it's been great since: Mario 3D World, MarioKart 8, Zelda Windwaker HD, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Wonderful 101, Hyrule Warriors, Smash, Toad, Just Dance...it's more than enough, and there's enough coming out in 2015 too -- Kirby, Yoshi, Mario Party 10, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Zelda...Nintendo also seems to be releasing more and more old titles on the eShop. Wii-era Metroid Trilogy, Punch-Out, and Mario Galaxy 2 all came out in the last month -- no graphic upgrades, though....yet.

Unless a store has a better sale, the best way to get started is to buy a "refurbished" Wii U Deluxe:Shop Nintendo | Nintendo Online Store(not in stock at the moment). You'll want 2 pro controllers, too. Sometimes those go on sale at a place like KMart for like $25. The pro controllers are official, comfortable, responsive, and can hold a quick charge for over 3 months! No joke.

As far as I know, the Wii U plays all Wii games, but my main beef with Wii games is resolution. None are HD, and so they look blurry on modern TVs. If you want to play wii games, you will need to pick up at least one Wii Remote.

You could also start buying into the Amiibo craze.

As an adult, I find that it's very easy to put together a Wii U based gaming collection that's better than anything I ever had as a kid.

Spronk's HD recommendation is spot-on. Buy something like this:HGST TOURO S 1TB USB 3.0 High-Performance Ultra-Portable Drive 0S03694 Gray - Newegg.comand connect/power it with one of these:Insten 1161227 21 Black 2X A to Micro-B USB 3.0 Y Cable - Newegg.com

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Is that Gamecube controller adapter actually available anywhere? I've only seen it for like $80 from second-hand retailers. Fuck that.