Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
I've been playing an Esper for Healing, but I'm not sure how much I like it yet - I was a big fan of Paladin healing in PvP and Raids back in WoW - what would be the most like that in Wildstar ... also, I just grabbed the full version today, so who can I message in game for guild invites?

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I think they just need to have less of them. You're right, though. They need to trim down the quests in 1 - 20. It's a bit overwhelming for newer players me thinks.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Housing has an advantage: you teleport to it at the end of your playing session, you can logout there and when logging back in you can grab your 5% questing exp boost and the teleporter brings you back to where you were before.
Aside from that I didn't even place a single decor in my house yet, but at least I can right click on decors when I loot them and send them to my crate instead of cluttering my bags/bank.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
If you're playing this dumb game for immersion then I don't know what to say. Wildstar took everything that was wrong with MMO's and upped it to the nth degree, there's no way it's going to keep people hooked for more than 3-4 months like every other WoW clone.
Dumb game? You sound like someone who is worried people are going to quit whatever MMO you are playing and come play Wildstar.

You are forgetting probably the #1 reason people are playing this game: it is challenging. If people quit this game it will likely be because it is too hard, not because it is a WoW clone.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Played a bit of the Esper tonight. Got through the newbie zone into the real world and had to log for the night after doing a few of the initial quests. TK is a terrible skill. I keep wanting to run around and cast it. Anyway, it's a more fun class than when I played it in beta. Gonna give it another night to see if I enjoy it.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Dumb game? You sound like someone who is worried people are going to quit whatever MMO you are playing and come play Wildstar.

You are forgetting probably the #1 reason people are playing this game: it is challenging. If people quit this game it will likely be because it is too hard, not because it is a WoW clone.
It's "challenging" in a platformer kind of way where you avoid red circles and lasers. I played enough of Rift & FFXIV to be sick of this kind of design, it's lazy and doesn't take much strategy to beat. And yes, it is a WoW clone except they did the circle/laser thing x100.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Played a bit of the Esper tonight. Got through the newbie zone into the real world and had to log for the night after doing a few of the initial quests. TK is a terrible skill. I keep wanting to run around and cast it. Anyway, it's a more fun class than when I played it in beta. Gonna give it another night to see if I enjoy it.
At level 11 try Psychic Frenzy, makes you mobile with lower dps and if you can't stand that either, reroll to spellslinger and save yourself some wasted time. TKstrike needs to become mobile, at least at T4 if not base. It just doesn't make sense to be penalized without advantage. Devs aknowledged the issues with the class, but stated they want the static part of TKs and MoB to remain. Somebody suggested a mechanic similar to wow's arcane mage: Arcane Blast, a bonus damage for every consecutive cast. I'd just make it mobile and save myself a headache, then make PF an equal dps skill at the very least.

For me the class shines when healing, I never gave a damn about being a dps in MMOs, just healer or tank. Now for guild reasons I may swap from healer to tank (it's still a maybe), but should I heal, it'd be esper for sure: awesome tools for all occasions, tank heal or group/raid heal, easiest focus management and can burst heal fairly well, even in AoE.

xHunt3r_sl

shitlord
...Aside from that I didn't even place a single decor in my house yet, but at least I can right click on decors when I loot them and send them to my crate instead of cluttering my bags/bank.
Certain pieces of decor add a bonus to reset XP you get while at your house... may want to look to see if any of those in your crate give a bonus and place them...

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was dinking around on a Warrior alt (letting my Esper bank some rested XP at 30) and saw you, was going to hit you up for an invite heh.

Troll_sl

shitlord
I think I'm pretty much convinced that I'm done with MMOs completely.

I like Wildstar. I really do. If I were to be playing an MMO right now, this would be it. But I just can't get into it. I haven't been able to get into any of them. I'm just done.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
It's "challenging" in a platformer kind of way where you avoid red circles and lasers. I played enough of Rift & FFXIV to be sick of this kind of design, it's lazy and doesn't take much strategy to beat. And yes, it is a WoW clone except they did the circle/laser thing x100.
Nah.

Carl_sl

shitlord
Leaving whether or not wildstar is a good game and will stand the test aside, you've never played an MMO that took more strategy to beat than this game, because the game doesn't exist. Go far enough back in time and you hit the point where content was only hard because you had no idea what was going on, come forward far enough you hit content with simpler versions of what wildstar has. If were going to demean a certain type of challenge lets look at this boards roots. Everquest was challenging from a how long can you sit on your ass without developing blood clots in your posterior and dieing standpoint. FFXI? How long can you spam zone chat before you give up because you didn't roll a white mage. My question is if you are downing content that is actually hard, where in the world are you coming from besides games with truly easy content that only required you to be there long enough to get through it?

Needless

Toe Sucker
I think I'm pretty much convinced that I'm done with MMOs completely.

I like Wildstar. I really do. If I were to be playing an MMO right now, this would be it. But I just can't get into it. I haven't been able to get into any of them. I'm just done.
I feel this way too, this game feels fresh but i think i'm just bored of the genre in general. I'll probably give WoD a shot and call it quits after that. ;_;

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
At level 11 try Psychic Frenzy, makes you mobile with lower dps and if you can't stand that either, reroll to spellslinger and save yourself some wasted time. TKstrike needs to become mobile, at least at T4 if not base. It just doesn't make sense to be penalized without advantage. Devs aknowledged the issues with the class, but stated they want the static part of TKs and MoB to remain. Somebody suggested a mechanic similar to wow's arcane mage: Arcane Blast, a bonus damage for every consecutive cast. I'd just make it mobile and save myself a headache, then make PF an equal dps skill at the very least.

For me the class shines when healing, I never gave a damn about being a dps in MMOs, just healer or tank. Now for guild reasons I may swap from healer to tank (it's still a maybe), but should I heal, it'd be esper for sure: awesome tools for all occasions, tank heal or group/raid heal, easiest focus management and can burst heal fairly well, even in AoE.
Back in the day, PF used to be the builder you got at level 1 and TK was unlocked at level 14ish. That's the last time I played an Esper (over a year ago).

Carl_sl

shitlord
I feel this way too, this game feels fresh but i think i'm just bored of the genre in general. I'll probably give WoD a shot and call it quits after that. ;_;
In a completely different tone from the post above, I think a lot of people would agree that watching mmo development has become the mmo for a lot of us.

Vitality

HUSTLE
You guys need friends, this genre is about playing with other people.

FFS we fking sat in undead frog sewers for hours on end killing a few mobs every hour just to get some stupid belt for one guy. Chatting about tons of bullshit and just generally being social.

If that's gone for you than this genre is too.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate

FFS we fking sat in undead frog sewers for hours on end killing a few mobs every hour just to get some stupid belt for one guy. Chatting about tons of bullshit and just generally being social.

Seriously, these games are about playing in a single game space with other people regardless of your goals. Last night sat in skype with Teljair and just shot the shit for an hour about the game.

Shame I didn't make my toon on Widow!

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider

Why when the game itself doesn't promote that? The entire leveling process is designed so that you play by yourself. That's a large chunk of gameplay where you're not encouraged to talk to a single soul.