Will Smith n Oscar Town

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Paul Giamatti was robbed years ago not getting Oscar for Cindarella Man, I think they give it to him this time.
But beating out CM for Oppenheimer is gunna be a hard one.

Most don't even watch all the fucking movies: Oscar Voter Admits He Doesn’t ‘Really Give A S**t’ About The Nominated Animation Features

So keep that in mind. Is the flashy big budget big marketing Oppenheimer more likely to have been watched by your average academy member? Or the low key cozy understated Holdovers.

I think that's the real question

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Obviously the right thing to do would be to watch them all but if you don't like animation there's a very low chance that you're going to vote for one to win the oscar even if you do watch it.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Talk to only two members
Both say they don't watch the movies they're assigned

I have a good feeling about this
It's hardly the first time this kind of response by voters has come out in the public. Basically all awards shows are like this -- plenty of voters vote when they haven't seen everything that is nominated.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
My point is it really doesn't matter who wins. There's nothing objective about the process. I'll have my own Oscars with blackjack and hookers.

Also Poor Things wins all categories

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
My point is it really doesn't matter who wins. There's nothing objective about the process. I'll have my own Oscars with blackjack and hookers.

Also Poor Things wins all categories
That is why I'm predicting (probably wrongly) that Giamatti wins for Holdovers. It isn't about the movie or his performance, it is about his history and it's his turn.

spronk

FPS noob
american fiction is out on VOD/torrents today, i assume its a "i'm black ya'll" kinda movie so not really that interested but that just leaves Poor Things as the only big oscar movie not streaming at home yet

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
american fiction is out on VOD/torrents today, i assume its a "i'm black ya'll" kinda movie so not really that interested but that just leaves Poor Things as the only big oscar movie not streaming at home yet

You should watch the trailer. It really doesn't come off like "I'm black ya'll" at all, in just the first twenty seconds.

Juvarisx

Florida
Writer writes black shlock books and white liberal elites mistake it for serious literature and wins awards and tons of cash. Apparently its pretty funny and Jeffery Wright is great in it

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
It's that time again, faggots.

Here's what I've seen so far and how I rank them:
1. Poor Things - Yorgos Lanthimos is prob in the top three best directors of the past decade. Imagine a Tim Burton dark comedy fantasy only Tim Burton still makes good movies (shots fired?). It's hilarious, it's whimsical, it's delicious. Dafoe, Ruffalo, and Stone _should_ all get awards for their work. Go see if you can handle all the boobs and dongs.
2. Oppenheimer - You know what this is. Just a masterful work by one of the best.
3. The Holdovers - I heard someone describe this movie as "cozy" and I agree. It's like a warm blanket on a cold day. It feels good and you'll feel good watching it. It also looks like it was filmed in the 70s.
4. Killers of the Flower Moon - It's long. It's heartbreaking. I wish it was written a little differently??? I dunno. I'll give it a "pretty dang good". Lily Gladstone nailed it and is awesome and deserves Best Actress for her role (though if I had my Davey-way I'd give one to Emma Stone in Poor Things too)
5. Barbie - Most have seen. It's just good ole fun here. Prob not a best picture but I'd watch again.
6. Anatomy of a Fall - Great acting and interesting story. Not something I'd watch again but I appreciate that it's here.

Need to watch:
- American Fiction
- Maestro
- Past Lives
- Zone of Interest

Thoughts on who I think should get best x awards based on what I've seen:
Best Actor - Cillian Murphy
Best Supporting Actor - Mark Ruffalo. (Dafoe should've gotten a nom for his role as well)
Best Actress - Lily Gladstone and Emma Stone ... pls
Actress in a Supporting Role - Da'Vine Joy Randolph
Cinematography - Poor Things (I'd put my money on Oppenheimer tho)
Costume Design - Poor Things (not even a hestitation here)
Directing - Yorgos Lanthimos
Editing - Oppenheimer (?) I think Ill have to watch again
Writing Adapted Screenplay - Poor Things

I'm basically saying go see Poor Things
I just saw The Zone of Interest and I'm putting it in my number 2 spot.

It's unlike anything I've ever experienced in terms of mind fuckery

The the power of the movie is built on its massive contradiction. A family living a very happy life. Almost perfect I think they might say. Their day to day seems routine. Mundane. Juxtaposed with prob one of the most evil places to exist.

The movie refuses to fully acknowledge it tho. If you knew nothing about the Holocaust you would think you watched the most boring movie of 2023. But since most of us know what's going on. Why there are gunshots and screams constantly heard in the distance. It just keeps your brain in a state of fuckery.

The restraint of this movie is what creates tension. I felt like I was watching a sci Fi. Why are people accepting this? Why are they happy?

spronk

FPS noob
poor things is out on VOD/torrents finally, i will watch to report to my local church exactly how naked emma stone gets in it and how sinful it is

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Writer writes black shlock books and white liberal elites mistake it for serious literature and wins awards and tons of cash. Apparently its pretty funny and Jeffery Wright is great in it

I put this on just now and literally the first five minutes are mocking wokeness

I didn't think anything could top Brikker Brikker calling Zone of Interest a "Jew movie" but spronk spronk calling this "I'm black y'all" is right up there

• 1Like
  • 1Garbage

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I put this on just now and literally the first five minutes are mocking wokeness

I didn't think anything could top Brikker Brikker calling Zone of Interest a "Jew movie" but spronk spronk calling this "I'm black y'all" is right up there

This isn't very good. It's a boring family drama interspersed with the satire, but the one joke note of that satire gets boring quickly

• 2Garbage

spronk

FPS noob
seems like no huge surprises for the winners, oppenheimer winning a lot and poor things winning a few upsets in minor categories i guess?

women and teh gayz went nuts over ryan goslings barbie song

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I have not seen a single one of the ten best picture nominees and have not heard of four of them.

high five tina fey GIF by Ray William Johnson

• 3Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users