Windows 10

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
speaking of amazon,
they don't even try to have american names no more huh?
ec0a35fb3b21cd890c6223c259dea296.png

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Good thing I ordered some extra PNY drives along with that Samsung one. The delivery bag with the Samsung wasn't sealed, like the heat seal or whatever, so the bag was empty with no drive in it. Two PNY were in another baggy and are fine. Guess I'll go start a chat with Jagatheesh and get my replacement sent.

Looks like Rufus is working 100% with this new drive so should be good to go.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
This has been something of a huge pain in the ass. For whatever reason the Windows 11 ISO from Microsoft had 0 drivers for my motherboard. It is just an Asus Z-690P which shouldn't be an oddball one. Had to go back and forth between my work laptop and desktop moving over different driver versions for it to finally detect my NVME drives (still missing my SATA drive), my LAN, and my Wifi. Now my Alienware Ultrawide is giving me issues not waking up from standby. It isn't recognizing my product key...

There was a point in my life where troubleshooting stuff was fun, but now it just needs to work. I'm old and grumpy.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
This has been something of a huge pain in the ass. For whatever reason the Windows 11 ISO from Microsoft had 0 drivers for my motherboard. It is just an Asus Z-690P which shouldn't be an oddball one. Had to go back and forth between my work laptop and desktop moving over different driver versions for it to finally detect my NVME drives (still missing my SATA drive), my LAN, and my Wifi. Now my Alienware Ultrawide is giving me issues not waking up from standby. It isn't recognizing my product key...

There was a point in my life where troubleshooting stuff was fun, but now it just needs to work. I'm old and grumpy.
Just went through that with my MIL's PC. I thought 'wow it's been a while since I needed to fix a PC this will be fun' well FUCK NO IT WASN"T. I have a gash on the pointing finger of my left hand (and I'm left handed) from slicing it on the razor backplate. Finally had to reinstall Win 10 over itself but at least it works.

FYI any time I am doing anything I get the MOBO website and DL all the drivers to a thumb drive ahead of time. Probably preaching to the choir here.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard

I rebuilt my pc a few months ago, ran into the same problem with W11. No wifi drivers. If I didn't have the version of W11 that allows local accounts and knew the secret to get to it, I wouldn't have been able to install the OS at all. I might have been able to use the ethernet port to install, but would have had to pack all my shit down to the router. To top it all off, my mainboard has 3 different versions, not all drivers are compatible across them. I just happened to note the board revision as I was assembling it. Dark print on a black motherboard...brilliant. It would have been impossible to see with the PC assembled. And then the website was dropping corrupted driver packages.

The whole thing was as anti-user as it gets. Someone who had no experience with these issues would not have been able to have a functional PC at all.

Conversely, I put W10 on my Ryzen 5900 box. Installed and was updating in 10 minutes. 0 issues. I also but Fedora Linux on my laptop. Installed and updated in 15 minutes, 0 issues.

All this is on top if the RAM issues that caused the machine not to boot at all. The board has an offline BIOS flasher (can flash board with no CPU or ram) BUT it only sees a BIOS file with a certain file name. That name appears in exactly 0 places in the manual or on the website. Ryzen 9 sales were in the toilet, and I can guess why. The mainboard company could have included the new BIOS, thus circumventing any RAM problems. Did they? Nope.

Companies are getting very sloppy to the point where they are releasing products that have fundamental flaws (and in some cases show-stopping) in them...and they do not care.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I rebuilt my pc a few months ago, ran into the same problem with W11. No wifi drivers. If I didn't have the version of W11 that allows local accounts and knew the secret to get to it, I wouldn't have been able to install the OS at all. I might have been able to use the ethernet port to install, but would have had to pack all my shit down to the router. To top it all off, my mainboard has 3 different versions, not all drivers are compatible across them. I just happened to note the board revision as I was assembling it. Dark print on a black motherboard...brilliant. It would have been impossible to see with the PC assembled. And then the website was dropping corrupted driver packages.

The whole thing was as anti-user as it gets. Someone who had no experience with these issues would not have been able to have a functional PC at all.

Conversely, I put W10 on my Ryzen 5900 box. Installed and was updating in 10 minutes. 0 issues. I also but Fedora Linux on my laptop. Installed and updated in 15 minutes, 0 issues.

All this is on top if the RAM issues that caused the machine not to boot at all. The board has an offline BIOS flasher (can flash board with no CPU or ram) BUT it only sees a BIOS file with a certain file name. That name appears in exactly 0 places in the manual or on the website. Ryzen 9 sales were in the toilet, and I can guess why. The mainboard company could have included the new BIOS, thus circumventing any RAM problems. Did they? Nope.

Companies are getting very sloppy to the point where they are releasing products that have fundamental flaws (and in some cases show-stopping) in them...and they do not care.

Similarly, the ASUS Support page I got to from the Z690P link was not the same revision / version of my board somehow. Only when I put in the serial number of my board on the support page did I get to the appropriate driver page so that it would recognize them.

Izo

Tranny Chaser

Support for Windows 10 will end in October 2025​

After October 14, 2025, Microsoft will no longer provide free software updates from Windows Update, technical assistance, or security fixes for Windows 10. Your PC will still work, but we recommend moving to Windows 11.

Matrix No GIF

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Updates shmupdates. Install win10 and use sledgehammer to kill all updates. Software only gets worse over time, not better.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I, like most peeps on this site, have too many PC's. My laptop can install Win 11, I'm going to have to replace my wife's PC but I built it about a decade ago. Think my 'media' machine is getting a version of Linux since I'm the only one that uses it. The living room one , that I'm not sure. Bought a few prebuild mini-pc's and zero of them would see my network drive. ZERO. I sent them all back. It's not a win 11 issue as this PC I'm on now sees it fine.
If gaming on any other OS at all was better I'd drop Windows like a bad habit.